Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: How many of you guys have projectors?
#47397 06/01/04 03:49 AM
devotee
devotee
First of all, definitely check out ProjectorCentral's recommended list. They have some great reviews and comparisons. Also, you have to go over to the AVS forums. Everything you could want to know can be found there.

I picked up an X1 last year and, at least at that time, it was pound for pound the best bang for your buck. But, as usual, technology changes rapidly. Instead of giving you actual PJ recommendations, I will give you some advice from someone who spent a lot of time researching/obsessing over this.

First of all, your viewing habits are extremely important when considering this decision. For example:

If you watch primarily DVDs, than a simple 800X600 will do the trick. Present DVD format limitations cannot take advantage of the higher resolutions. I did a side-by-side w/ a Sony HS10 and kept up with it....on movies. The Sony still had a somewhat better picture, but definitely not worth triple the pricetag of the X1.

If you watch HD material, then you need to at least look at the 1/4 HD projectors or spend more on at least XGA resolution. My X1 still handles HD, but it can't reproduce the level of clarity that the higher resolution PJs can pump out.

If you watch primarily TV, then you're screwed no matter what. I've never seen normal TV look that good on a PJ.

If you watch primarily widescreen, then you might consider a widescreen format PJ. I stuck w/ the 4:3 projector in order to retain the full width of my screen, rather than having black bars inserted on either side during 4:3 material.

There is a lot to consider when making this type of choice. In my case, I had to take into consideration my ongoing basement finishing project with it's associated expenses. Given that and the fact that I could get an X1 for $900, made my mind up for me. However, in your situation, you may be willing to go to that next level, which is definitely attainable for sub-$2K (XGA and/or WXGA - Z2/L500U/PB6200). Regardless of the financial aspect of your decision, I would suggest that you focus more on things such as aspect ratio, primary source material, DLP vs LCD, etc. These things make the decision even harder, but it will help you to clarify what exactly you are looking for in a projector.

Good Luck

#47398 06/01/04 08:59 AM
dakkon Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
thanks for your replys, the source, will mainly be dvd's and possibly regular tv, i don't know that i will get HD service, as there is still a very limited selection... i think that i will wait like a couple of you have said, and see what is around the corner as it were... possibly get something much better for the same amount of money...

TurboDog1, thank you for your input i dont know that i ever though of it like you put it...

#47399 06/01/04 11:45 AM
devotee
devotee
It gets even trickier because of the fact that it's not easy to test-drive the various projectors. I think that part of the popularity of the X1 and some of the other sub-$1K PJs is the fact that you can pick them up at BB or C.City. Getting to see the other players can be a bit trickier. If you're lucky, you run across a shootout in your area listed in the AVS forums.

Before I go, I'm going to stir things up for you a bit...

You can very easily wait forever for that perfect projector within your budget. Just like computers, this will never pay off, because the technology is continually outdating itself. Don't get me wrong, as I'm not suggesting that you buy before you're ready. However, if you are indeed ready to make your purchase, I am suggesting that you not get caught up in waiting too long for that perfect PJ, because that could end up costing you a lot of actual viewing enjoyment. In my case, if I had waited until my basement was done and the technology had changed, it would have cost me a year of stellar viewing w/ my X1.

Good Luck

#47400 06/01/04 02:46 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
For regular cable TV have you tried using an external scaler like the IScan or the Viewsonic. Normal TV is definitely watcheable even on the X1 and a scaler.
All the lower pictures in my X1 are standard cable with a Viewsonic TV tuner.
http://www.spacelofts.com/x1/

Picture can be better because this is standard out of box colors without calibration.

#47401 06/01/04 03:08 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
FYI

Resolutions

HDTV = 1920 x 1080
DVD 16:9 = 720x480
DVD 4:3 = 720x360
Laserdisc = 560 x 360
analog TV standard cable TV = up to 460x360 but can be less
VHS = 300 x 360

So even with the 800x600 under $2000 budget PJ you don't even optomize the DVD resolution
TV Resolution would have a lot of artifacts when blown up with a big projector image to fit a resolution of 800x600. You would need a video up-scaler to increase/clean up the signal. The external Viesonic TV tuner or DVDO I-Scan line doubler does a good job. Also some projectors have a great built-in scalers such as in the X1. If your not planing to watch much HDTV you are fine with any of the projectors recommended by the users above.

#47402 06/02/04 01:56 AM
dakkon Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
thanks for the great replies guys, i think this thread will help people out a lot, many of you have given great input, with a lot of hard facts that people can reference, i know it has helped me out...

TurboDog1, i am kind of forced to wait, im in the navy, and am currently in school for the next year or so, and i currently live on base, my room is .... 10X10, thats with a bed, computer desk, and entertainment center, so at the moment, i dont "Really" have room, my room is probably smaller than most of your bed rooms, but its the military... and its free! so more money for cool stuff like, epic 60... actually in my current room, i can only use 1 qs8... my other room was lager, but i had a roommate back then.... anyhow, i think i am rambling...

back to the point at hand, realistically the soonest that i would make a purchase is 6 months i believe... in 6 months i move off of base, for the completion of my schooling, then when i go to a boat, i will most likely live off base, and will get to "chose" where i live..

#47403 06/02/04 02:34 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Been there; done that (Army). Thanks for your service. Stay safe.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#47404 06/02/04 12:15 PM
devotee
devotee
Dakkon,

Yes, thanks for your service.

Given your situation, most definitely wait on the PJ. In the meantime, start trolling around the AVS Forum's projector forum. You will learn more than you need about the different projectors and what suits your situation. Truthfully, many PJ enthusiasts will tell you that they took the plunge on their projectors based mostly upon all the different posts in that forum. With very limited access to the different projectors, that forum is most often the best source of information about projectors.

Good Luck.

#47405 06/20/04 05:12 PM
dakkon Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
saturn whats up with your web host, that is hosting your images??

also what view sonic unit are you using?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters