Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
QS8's (and cast) just keep on amazing
#47968 06/03/04 04:02 PM
buff
OP Offline
buff
I am not going to bore you with my lengthy opinions but was impressed to share my thoughts. I have had my axiom system for about 3 weeks now and it just keeps surprising me. It consists of M60's, VP150, (2) QS8's, and (2) QS4's. All are being driven by a Denon 3805 until I add a Marantz MM9000 in the next couple weeks. Bass duties are handled by a PB2+. The funny thing is what is impressing me the most isn't the flat out night and day difference between the Axioms and my old setup but the subtle details instead. Of course when I first got them hooked up and calibrated I scoured my collection to find all of the action packed titles to put in, which included LOTR, Terminator, Matrix, Gladiator, etc, etc. While all of these movies sounded great they just didn't blow me away. Words like increased sound stage and better FR came to mind, but nothing that just slapped me in the face. The part that blew me away was when I had in For love of the game. This is definitely not an action flick so I was not expecting anything out of the ordinary. This is where I couldn't have been more wrong. For a medium dollar budget movie the surround use is phenomenal. Closing your eyes you'd swear you were on the pitching mound. You could hear the croud buzz surrounding you and at the same time distinct voices and boos were anchored in mid air. The same goes for the M60's. The minor details were starting to be revealed. The subway train that was barely audible could be heard in the distance. And all of this was being picked up at well below reference. Master and Commander (even though I thought the movie SUCKED) was awesome to watch (or should I say hear). I had some friends over and one of them actually got up and went to the door because he swore someone was knocking. LOL. I love the whole system but I would have to say the shining stars in the lineup are the QS8's. They really bring the life to the movie. Now if only they would come out with 7.1 discrete I would be set.

Re: QS8's (and cast) just keep on amazing
#47969 06/03/04 04:46 PM
hobbyist
hobbyist
OK, I'll be the first to ask.......What sucked about "Master and Commander"? It wasn't the same story as in the book but I'm really curious as to what you're criticising. The wife is French and she liked it........

#47970 06/03/04 04:59 PM
buff
OP Offline
buff
HMMMMMM, let's see here. Could it be the fact that they made a 3 hour movie out of a script that they could have been finished in about 15 minutes. Don't get me wrong it was a great picture and the cannon fight at the beginning was awesome but other than that it just seemed to drag, and drag, and drag, and....... well you get the point. Maybe if I had gone into the movie knowing that there would be 2 action scenes and the rest would be a long drawn out soap opera than I would have a different opinion about it. It was kind of like Troy, great movie but just not enough going on. Different strokes for different folks.

#47971 06/03/04 05:02 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I've heard LOT's of people say they hated that movie, but for some reason I'm still looking forward to seeing it.

As far as the Axioms go, I've had a similar experience with thinking something on the soundtrack was real. I kept thinking I was hearing a dog bark outside. Finally it was driving me crazy and paused my dvd is gave a listen. Nothing. Started the player back up and that damn dog came back! LOL...it was the darn DVD. I SWEAR it sounded like it was coming from outside.

#47972 06/03/04 05:02 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I liked Master and Commander, but everybody here dissed it. My wife and the girls on my softball team didn't care for it much either.

Pretty suspenseful flick, I thought.

#47973 06/03/04 05:04 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Troy didn't have enough going on? Wow...ok.

Here's a list of particular favorites of mine that you should probably avoid...

Gandhi
Patton
Raging Bull
Apocolypse Now
The Shining

Yeah, I tend to like loooong drawn out movies.

#47974 06/03/04 05:06 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
i can see it both ways.. i watched it tuesday night(awesome surrounds). it did go a long way to just point out the fact that the crewmen have loyalty to the captain, and the captain was trying to find his own niche in the wider scope of 'greatest captains ever'. i liked the characters of the grumpy cook, and the young boy turning into a man, but alas, it did seem to drag on a bit. the gratitious scenes of the officers, sitting around, telling stories and singing sailor songs did get old.

my wife, being a scientist, did enjoy the whole gallapagos islands aspect to the movie. she most enjoyed the doctor fellow, and his cerebral way of thinking.

overall, not a great movie, but not bad. a little drawn out, but aint that the case with all epic adventure movies these days?

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#47975 06/03/04 05:09 PM
axiomite
axiomite
spiff,
Are you a fan of Stanley Kubrick?
I think the only movie of his that i can watch is 2001: Space Odyssey.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#47976 06/03/04 05:12 PM
buff
OP Offline
buff
Maybe I should rephrase that. I don't like long drawn out movies when they have been hyped to be action packed edge of the seat blockbusters. It's kind of along the same lines as the M60 phenomena. People hype them so much that when others buy them on their recommendation they are almost disappointed. It's not that they are bad speakers by any means (I love mine) but people put them on this pedestal that makes people believe if you buy them you will be in audiophile bliss. I am being a little dramatic but you get my point. M&C was hyped as being the best picture of the year, blah, blah, blah and I was expecting more from it. And no, I probably wouldn't watch any of those movies you recommended. LOL.

#47977 06/03/04 05:15 PM
buff
OP Offline
buff
Wow, I've already gotten so much out of this thread. I have grown from hobbiest to enthusiast during it's duration. LOL.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters