Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
What to buy for a setup with no sub?
#4800 08/11/02 08:35 AM
A
OP Offline
A
I'm having a tough time figuring how I'm going to setup my small appartment. I am 0% HT and 100% music. I listen mostly to rock + R&B, so responsive and loud bass is important to me.

My former system consisted of 2 monitors with 6" powered sub's in each. I'm looking for a setup that can provide comparable bass (preferably more) when hooked up for my 75W RMS Yamaha receiver.

Most of the detail in the music I listen to is in the bass-line and high-freq range, so I'm not particularly concerned about the midrange. Also, I plan to add a center channel for PL2 in the future, so I presume that would take care of any midrange the mains will be missing.

So, I've been looking long and hard at the M22, M40 and M50, and I'm not sure what would be best suited for my system. I'm leaning more towards the M40 which are right in my price range. But, I'm wondering if it's worth it to upgrade to M50's. The dual woofers seem like they'd work well with my bass-heavy listening, but I've seen a lot of luke-warm reviews of these speakers that suggest upgrading to the M60 (which is out of my price range).

It seems to me that the M40 is more balanced than the M50, while the M50 is a better bass performer. Would adding a center channel and using PL2 balance out the M50 while keeping it's seemingly good bass properties?

Also, what about placement? I have a small room, and I have multiple spots where I listen, so I'd kind of like a setup that will sound good not just in one spot. This is why the M22 is on my list, because people seem to recommend monitors when you need to be flexible with placement.

Any suggestions/comments/advice on how I should set this up would be appreciated!

Re: What to buy for a setup with no sub?
#4801 08/11/02 12:59 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I have a pair of M40's and for normal music lisitening they are very good. The bass response is good, but really nothing to write home about. However, when I paired them with a sub they really sounded impressive. If a sub is not totally out of the question and you REALLY like bass, go with the 22's and a sub. If you go with tower's, save more for the M60's. IMHO.

#4802 08/11/02 02:08 PM
F
fhw Offline
devotee
devotee
F
The M22 and M60 are not entirely kind to pop/R&B and rock recordings, though they excel with classical and jazz music.

For a small room and your musical tastes, consider the M40 a great choice. The M60 may be too big for a small room once the volume is turned up, and the M60's improved bass tightness isn't a major issue with rock and R&B anyway. You will be VERY happy with the bass output of the M40, and treble performance is positively sparkling. I've had the M40s playing for hours on end, and listening fatigue was never an issue (unless I was sick of the music, but that's not the point). It's also an absolute steal if you're thinking of moving to a HT setup down the road.

As for placement, start with an equilateral triangle (or the most reasonable approximation your room will allow) and just experiment with bass-heavy music to find what sounds the best.

#4803 08/11/02 03:50 PM
axiomite
axiomite
For only lows and highs? For rock?
That's interesting.

I would probably also go with the M40 and see if the bass is enough or otherwise the M22s with a small sub, unless as you eluded to, you don't want a sub at all. In such case, i would have to recommend a type of speaker that purposely adds 'colour' to the low end.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#4804 08/12/02 03:25 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
audiopilot

i listen to a LOT of music that is bass heavy as well, so I know what you mean about wanting towers.

However, I think your assessement is wrong about buying a center channel and listening in DPL2. It won't work. DPL2 puts most sound through the center, and only some sound through your mains and rears. Bass response wouldn't be as good (in my experience). I have an EP125 for bass, but if I were you, I would get the M50's. I have the M3's which are bookshelf M40's, and there isn't enough bass for what you want.

M22's are in my opinion some of the best speakers Axiom has ever made.. BUT they don't have great bass response. they play full down to maybe 60-65 hz. The m50's i think go down to 30, and are more efficient so your 75 wpc will be used better.

Email me if you have any further questions
crowchild7@yahoo.ca

Good luck!

#4805 08/13/02 08:02 PM
A
OP Offline
A
I've done a lot of looking and listening at local hi-fi shops, and I'm beginning to think I can not get the sound I'm looking for w/o a powered sub.

That being said, how do Axiom subs stack up with others? I'm thinking I might just bite the bullet and make room for a sub somewhere, in which case I'd be looking at M3's + an EP125.

Any comments?

#4806 08/13/02 08:55 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
The majority opinion on most site's is that for $399.00 US plus shipping you can not go wrong!!

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_9_2/adire-audio-rava-subwoofer-6-2002.html

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Hambrabi), 418 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup