Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Howdy Folks - Would like your input,
#48445 06/07/04 08:31 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Just my opinion, but I think it would be better to leave the right main where it is rather than move it. You'd end up with all the audio coming from the left of the TV which would be weird.

The problem with the mains being 16 feet apart, and you only 8 feet away from them, is that it may leave a hole in the center. Normally the center channel speaker can be used to fill in any such hole, but you've got a problem there as well. If you center the center channel speaker between the two mains, it will be to the left of the TV and dialog will sound like its coming from the left instead of from the TV. If you place the center on/below/or in front of the TV to get the dialog in the right place, you're back to potentially having a hole in the middle. However, adjusting the volume levels of the respective speakers, and properly setting their distances, in your receiver can help all of this. You'll just have to experiment.

I'll pass along Ray3's normal advice in a situation like this. "Sell the wife" and place things where they ought to go. (Please don't tell her I said that. Hell hath no fury......ya know! Actually I didn't say it. Ray3 did! )

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#48446 06/07/04 08:39 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Just remembered a fellow who had a situation similar to (but hardly the same as) yours. He was using the 22s, but this is how he solved his problem. Maybe it'll give you ideas. Maybe not.

Jack

#48447 06/07/04 08:54 PM
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
Sell the wife - ROTFLMAO... Yep - you are right - what in the hell were these house desingers thinking, I mean where were their priorities!!!! BTW - we just bought this house (15 yrs old) a few months ago, so just getting situated. Maybe we should have considered a different house. ;-)

One of the things I think may help me here is the 3505's auto tuning capabilitites. The way I understand it (and I could be being a bit optimistic here,) is that it will automatically adjust the timings so that each speaker's sound hits your ears or it's mic) at the same time. So the speaker that is 12 feet away will be slowed down relative to the other which may only be 6 or 8 away. Sure - it cant put sound where it doesn't exist, but certainly sounds like it can help for situations like mine.

Just think, if 10 years ago (im 32) you would have told me that my wife would even remotely get a say in where my speakers were to go, "BAHH!" Now I just say "yes dear." BUt im sure none of you audio studs hanging out here have ever said that.. lol

Guya - thanks for your advice - it is appreciated more than I could ever explain.. jb

#48448 06/08/04 12:17 AM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Hiya Jeff. First of all, the whole "sell the wife" thing is flawless, so don't dismiss it out of hand!!

With your room, ya gotta do the M60s. The separation is good and they will provide you with a "false front" effect to prevent holes in the front soundstage with your center. The QS8s are fabulous. Prepare to have your socks knocked off. If $$ are not an issue, take a look at the SVS 20-39 PC + or PC Ultra. BTW, the VTF-3 is a great sub.

#48449 06/08/04 12:24 AM
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
Ajax - that is one sweet room.. My parents have a house in the mountains - sorted reminds me of.. Really sharp. I read you guys like pics, so I "snapped" yall a pano of my room. Not the best shot in the world, but will suffice. I won't post all 25 megapixels of it (6mp X 5 images minus some trimming), else you might be able to see what brand speakers are on the mantel. UGHH Yea - I'm a camera geek too! Later, and thanks again - Any more ideas, Im open to them.. Jeff _ i tried to cute with a hre but it was a bust.. Here is the direct link

http://photos.imageevent.com/br1dge/newhouse/large/Jeff%20HT%20-%20Living%20Room%20Pano_resize.jpg

It can look good, sound good, or your wife can like it. Pick any 2.

#48450 06/08/04 03:09 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Judging by that picture (very nice place, BTW) you ought to bring the left main in next to the TV. I would go 5.1 and put QS8s on stands either side of the main viewing area. When you get your surrounds too far away it just doesn't seem to envelop as much. Go big-ass sub (SVS PB2 or even dual SVS 20-39s) and consider M80s or M60s. My 2 cents (we oughta be gettin' paid for this ).

Oh yeah, get a big screen (HD CRT RPTVs 51" start from $1000). $3500 bucks and you'll have a smokin' system.

#48451 06/08/04 03:17 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
i take it a new tv is out of the question?.... if you were to get a projector, plasma, you could easly fix all of your audio problems, by shifting the viewing area.....

just an idea, dont know if the wife will go for it, or if you even want to think about that, but that might honestly be the "easiest" solution... all be it, not the cheepest... but if you can swing it, you and your wife can both get what you want...

dont know if this helps... or just pointless, ramble, but it made me feel good!

#48452 06/08/04 02:21 PM
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
BW and Dak - thanks for the advice.. A new TV is certainly on my list, but it will probably have to put in that existing Armoire in the picture. I have "decided" on the Sony 34XBR960.. Sweet tube tv, and fits that cabinet perfectly.. Does not help with positioning much, though, huh.

I am going to have to think on the suggestion of moving the Left main in closer to the tv (other side of fireplace.) If you look at the drawing in the top of this post, it may not seem as much of a good idea.... SO many factors to consider eh? Well, now that I know which product to buy, I can play around and find the best home for each without bugging you poor guys any more.. Thanks again for everything, Jeff

#48453 06/08/04 02:30 PM
axiomite
axiomite
You're welcome, Jeff. Don't be a stranger (well......any stranger than you are, anyway)

Jack

#48454 06/08/04 06:24 PM
buff
buff
Curious where you live Jeff. i know a Jeff Bridges and he is not THE Jeff Bridges either.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters