Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: bbq pork chops
#48985 06/12/04 07:04 AM
shareholder in the making
Perfect timing for this question! I'm planning on doing pork chops on the grill Tuesday night, and a brown-sugar based rub (which I've never done) sounds excellent. Hey Ken, wanna come over?

Incidentally, a sugar-based rub is also excellent on salmon. I use about 1/2 cup white sugar, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp black pepper. I either fry or bake the fish with this recipe, but it might work well on the grill, too.

#48986 06/12/04 08:48 PM
YES! Sure, no problem. Can we bring anything?

I could make ice cream.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#48987 06/13/04 01:05 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'm not big on most store bought marinades, but STUBB"S pork marinade goes on any pork I grill, smoke, or bake. I soak my baby backs over night in the stuff before smoking them, and you would think I invented baby back ribs according to my buddys. I dont know if stubbs is available every where, but here in Texas, Stubbs BBQ is famous. If you can, give it a try.

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#48988 06/14/04 02:48 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
At risk of sounding naive . . . Texans, do you really have to grill ribs for hours and hours? Assuming you wanted to have them on a week night, after you have rubbed the rub in, how long do you have to smoke them? Can you do it over propane, or is that the second offensive question in this post?

#48989 06/14/04 02:56 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'm not a Texan, but the time I've made them and found them best I've done this.

1. Marinade 24 hours with favorite BBQ sauce (the best is when I make my own sauce first).

2. Cook in the oven for 2-2.5 hours.

3. Grill for a couple minutes on each side.

4. EAT!!

#48990 06/14/04 03:08 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
It's pretty hard to make a pork chop bad, man I love chops!

/yummy

In reply to:

if you have never seen him, look for bobby flay on the food network. pretty cool guy

oh I've seen him before... he was on Iron Chef, and he was the biggest dick ever! Way to represent us Bobby, thx for nuttin!

#48991 06/14/04 03:28 PM
aficionado
aficionado
In reply to:

At risk of sounding naive . . . Texans, do you really have to grill ribs for hours and hours? Assuming you wanted to have them on a week night, after you have rubbed the rub in, how long do you have to smoke them? Can you do it over propane, or is that the second offensive question in this post?

Amie,

It can be done on a weeknight and on propane. Let the rub set on the meat for at least an hour. Prepping early would allow for overnight with the rub. Smoking on propane takes a smoke box. Cast iron box filled with soaked wood chips / chunks you set in your lava rock or on flavorizer bars. You should be able to find one at any store that sells BBQ equipment or discount store. I found mine at W**mart a number of years ago. How long to smoke is relative to what sort of smoke flavor you want. The more smoke flavor, the longer it will need to smoke. I would smoke them for a couple of hours then wrap them in foil and let them steam in their own juices. Makes them tender. I had made smoked briskets on my propane grill until it finally fell apart. Needless to say, I now have a new charcoal / wood burning grill...

Find the smoke box and you will find wood chips / chunks to go in it. Soak them in water for at least 30 minutes before putting it the box...longer soak, more water, more smoke, less flame. Ribs would drip less than a brisket but keeping a water bottle filled with water (or apple juice...adds some flavor to putting out fires ) will come in handy. When I was smoking briskets on my propane grill, my son would always ask if I had caught the brisket on fire yet...If I had, he knew it would be good.

Hope this helps.

Smokin'

WhatFurrer

"Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup..."
#48992 06/14/04 03:43 PM
Whoops, guess I didn't read closely enough... now I've got to get a smoke box... and some lava rocks or something. D'oh!

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#48993 06/14/04 04:21 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
amie-

that is a hard question.. depending on who you ask, EVERYONE has their own way of doing BBQ. i agree a little with every one that has posted.

i would let the rub sit on the ribs for at least an hour. or overnight, or even put on the rub in the morning before you go to work, leave in fridge, and cook when you get home. you can use a propane grill, but like furrer says, for the 'smoke' taste, you would need to use some sort of smoking device, like wood chips. also, you want to cook the ribs slow, around 250F degrees. this allows for the meat to get real soft, and not rubbery or chewy. the time will vary depending on how thick the ribs are, but i good start is 1 1/2 to 2 hours. check periodically there after. if you use a higher heat, that time will drop drastically.

the foil method is good to.. use a high heat and cook quick for about 45 minutes to an hour.. then wrap good in heavy duty aluminum foil, and let set for and hour.

just keep in mind, there are no 2 same ways to cook bbq. everyone has their own style and preference. use several diff methods, find the one you like, and stick with it.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#48994 06/14/04 05:19 PM
ringmir Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Well to follow up....I made a rub with brown sugar, cayenne, paprika, salt, pepper, and sage. (Although in somewhat different proportions than were recommended) The chops were a huge hit. I let the rub sit overnight, and smoked them (applewood) over pretty low heat (could hold my hand over it 6 seconds or so) for maybe 25 minutes.

[black]-"The further we go and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."[/black]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters