Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Speaker placement
#4907 08/16/02 12:45 PM
buff
OP Offline
buff
Hello folks, I just bought my AXIOM speaker consisting of M50, vp100 and QS4 and my receiver would be onkyo tx-ds797. I am a newbie, and would like to ask some advice if my speaker placement is okay or not. Here are my room info:
room size=17x14, ceiling=8ft, distance from TV screen to the listening position is about 11ft, distance from left front speaker to right speaker is around 9ft and the right side is an open space. now my 2 Qs4 surround will be wall mounted, unfortunately on the right side wall where I suppose to mount the surround speaker (following the standard measurement of 2-3ft from ear level), there was a big square hole (sort of window for breakfast countertop), hence in order for me to wall mount the speaker, i have to mount it about 45inches or 3.75 ft measuring from ear level up to the bottom of the Qs4. finally the 6th speaker which is a QS4 will be mounted at the back and the measurement will be around 4ft from ear level.

Can anyone here give me an advise if this setup is okay? Also I would like to ask for some recommendation on speaker wires....and lastly does anyone have tried using Acoustic REsearch PS1212 Sub for Axiom speakers?

Thanks,
seanandredj

Re: Speaker placement
#4908 08/16/02 02:01 PM
old hand
old hand
Congrats on your purchase, nice looking (sounding) setup!

I have the Epic Master system (It's on the products page if you're not familiar with it) in a setup that's similar to yours (large open space to the right of my right front). I'm not running a 6th channel in my 20 X 12 room, and my QS4s do an excellent job of dispersing sound (couldn't imagine being any happier with them). They're set up on the Axiom stands (height of approx 48"), so they're not as high as your wall mounts. I'd think you'll do just fine, especially with another QS4 in the back to "fill in" the sound. As others have done, you can enlist a friend to help hold/position the surrounds as you tweak placement, but I think you'll find that the QS4 design is pretty forgiving for those of us who aren't blessed with an ideal viewing environment.

good luck!

lando

lando
#4909 08/16/02 02:23 PM
veteran
veteran
Hi seanandredj,

About that speaker wire thing, I would use a decent quality 12ga stranded copper wire. If you like go to search and type in speaker wire, there you will find tons of information on the subject. I believe the majority of people in this forum including Alan (Axiom's resident expert) would make the same recommendation. Of course if you prefer you could take out a home equity loan and purchase the other stuff.

CAV104

#4910 08/16/02 03:44 PM
buff
OP Offline
buff
Thank you folks for your reply, hopefully my placement works fine...:-)

#4911 08/19/02 10:53 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hello,

Lando622 said it all. My QS surrounds are at unequal heights and distances from the listening area and they produce a fine sense of envelopment. As lando says, you may have to do a bit of tweaking but the QS surrounds are very accommodating to less-than-ideal placement.

Best of luck with your setup.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#4912 08/19/02 11:51 AM
buff
OP Offline
buff
Thanks Alan for your reply, I've heard a lot about you here in the forum and your inputs were really helpful...anyway, i have additional question re this topic, as I have said my right surround side has an open breakfast window, what placement would you recommend or prefer:
1. Place the QS4 on top of the breakfast window so that it will rest to a close wall space...or
2. Buy a wall mounting bracket (trying to achieve the 3 feet distance) and mount the speaker in such a way it is hanging on the open breakfast window? (aside from it will not look good ;-)).

Thanks again and i really appreciate all your inputs....

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044