Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Need Advice on Video up-converting devices
#49495 06/16/04 06:08 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
I'm trying to find a good device that will accept DVI, s-video and component. My problem is that I can't upconvert signals from different types of connections. I just bought the Dish network 811 HD box, it will not send non HD signal though the DVI cable properly, it has to go through the s-video connection. It's a major pain for my wife to figure out all of the remotes to get it working.

My receiver will do some up-convertion, but it is very limited.

Any thought? Also, a goot time to discuss remote control options.

Tom

M80's VP150 QS8's Earthquake SuperNova MKV-15
Integra DTR-7.4 Outlaw 755 Outlaw M200's Outlaw ICBM
Re: Need Advice on Video up-converting devices
#49496 06/16/04 06:27 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'm glad that you mentioned remote control options at the end of your post.

I had a different problem than yours. While I wasn't interested in up-converting - I was interested in simplifying my home theater (and my marriage). In brief, here was my problem - I had teh cable going into Vid1, the VHS going into VID2, the DVD going into VID4, and a shelf system home theater which needed to be switched between auxillary and 5.1, depending on whetehr I watned to watch DVDs or TV. Add to this the fact that I have a Sony WEGA, and like to "pinch" the TV screen using the 16:9 enhanced feature while watching DVDs. Aside from switching issues and screen size format problems, I had five remotes cluttering the coffee table.

MY SOLUTION: I bought the Harmony family remote (harmonyremote.com) which I bought at Bluedo.com (authorized retailer. It simplified my life (and marraige) accordingly.

In short, you use the internet to set up the macro functions on your remote. What I mean is, you tell the internet program what components you have, and how your system is set up (e.g. sat to Vid3, cable to Vid1, whatever). Then you set up "activities." From there, you press one button, and bingo - problems solved.

For example, say you're watching standard def TV, and you want to watch a movie. You press the "watch movie" button and your tv switches to the appropriate input, and your recevier turns on an switches to whatever setting you want, the DVD player turns on and presto, Bob's your uncle. This begins to bore you, so you want to watch High def TV? Well, the remote remembers which components are on....so it, turns the DVD player off, switches to your s-video input turns your receiver on/off (whatever you prefer) and turns on the high def box, etc.

It works with PVR (TiVos), and is a breeeze to set up. It took a couple of tries, but I was able to tinker and get my system working flawlessly (on a far from perfect system, as far as ease of set-up goes) within a night.

I suggest you go this way because (1) a single remote is much better than 5, and (2) an up conversion device is only going to be a band-aid for your problems. Dive into the harmony - your SO will appreciate it.

Also, others are likely to chime in regarding the MX-700 and the SONY models. Listen to their input and select according to your needs, sophistication etc.

Happy solution hunting

#49497 06/16/04 06:28 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
I don't think my previous question was clear enough.

My question is this:
What piece of equipment could I get to handle all of my video needs. I like the DVDO gear. Are there better options?

Tom

#49498 06/16/04 06:37 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Thanks for the GREAT info.
I believe your right about the band aid.

I would like to know more about video processors. I'm curious to know if its worth the money.

Tom

#49499 06/16/04 06:47 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Sorry about going off topic on a rant - I'm just a real proponent of this remote (and others like it)

As far as the up-converters - my understanding is that they aer glorified switching modules, and that the quality both degrades (however slightly) and is not truly "upconverted." Basically, my I think that it just converts the signal into something usable by a component video jack...Again, since you're losing some marginal quality and the signal won't be any better - it seems to me that you might be able to save a little green, and effectuate a major change in your home theater habits.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044