Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Will This Damage My Speakers?
#4979 09/02/02 04:50 PM
local
local
I think that the fluid actually was distilled water with a tiny amount of a photo finishing solution to break the surface tension. The funny thing is that I still listen and love my records. The ones in good shape still sound great. If anyone wants to sell their anti-static gun just let me know.

#4980 09/03/02 12:57 AM
veteran
veteran
Hey guys,

I still have some of the discwasher record cleaning and stylus cleaning fluid. And yes, I still use them too!

Alan, I am pretty sure the "dust bug" is the old tracking cleaner I had as well. Did it have a flat, clear plexiglas arm with a round red plush brush that was on the record surface? (at least whatever brand I had looked like that).

One other cool record cleaner I got my hands on (and still have it) was also a "National" battery powered hand held device. It had a rotating brush made of very fine bristles that were supposed to be made of the same vinyl as records. (Thus it was not supposed to cause any static build-up) It has two small swing open doors that were covered with a very fine cloth/mesh that acted as a filter. Thus the dust was swept up off the surface and was caught in the filters. Personally I don't think it worked all that well - but it is pretty cool. I don't think it was ever sold in the US, as I got it from a Technics/Panasonic representative when I worked for Sony in Germany. (we reps. traded stuff with each other all the time - man, I even used to collect speaker drivers and crossovers, in hopes of one day building my own "super speakers" - but alas, I never did)

To all - I hope all this doesn't sound like any sort of one-upmanship - cause believe me it isn't! I just LOVE hearing about this kind of stuff from others, and I like sharing my experiences as well. Earlier, Alan mentioned his old Grado phono cartidge. I never had one, but always wanted one - but they always seemed out of my price range at the time. Oh well......

All the best - and keep the good stuff coming!

Randyman

#4981 09/03/02 04:42 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Yes Randey, what you describe is the Cecil Watts "DustBug" which I used in the old snap, crackle and pop days. It was also available in a version which clipped directly onto the cartridge shell instead of riding the separate plastic arm. Also used their "Parostatik Disc Preener" which was a black plush cylinder about 4 inches long and an inch in diameter. It had an internal wick which you moistened with water and then pressed the cylinder against the rotating record for 2 or 3 revolutions to collect the dust.

Last edited by JohnK; 09/03/02 05:01 AM.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#4982 09/04/02 09:16 AM
veteran
veteran
JohnK

Criminey!

I remember that too! But I never owned that one. This is terrific. So many trips down memory lane in such a short span of time. So now I am racking my brain to try to remember even other (more obscure) stuff as well.

Somewhere (in the back of my crowded mind) I remember some Recoton (spelling?) stuff for disc cleaning - but nothing particular comes to mind. I know it was cheap semi-serious stuff, but again I didn't have any of it.

Hey, btw - I see you read my other post on message board names. Thanks! You got it right!

Randyman

#4983 09/04/02 04:01 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Well geez randyman, if you want to continue down memory lane, startup a topic on reel to reel players.
I used to have one of those when i was a kid too. My father still does.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#4984 09/04/02 08:05 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Randyman

Recoton cleaning stuff! i remember that stuff. they also had stuff to clean cassette players.

#4985 09/05/02 05:32 AM
veteran
veteran
well, chesseroo..

I guess I/we could... I have a Sony 10.5" reel to reel (but it's in storage back in VA) I always LOVED playing with reel tape. That was better than vinyl (IMHO). You really felt like you were in the professional league with those BIG reels (right Alan?) AND here is something I bet you never heard of.. I have two Sony Elcasette machines. An El-7 and an EL-5. Anybody wanna discuss those dinosaurs?

Randyman

#4986 09/08/02 12:53 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Stop it!!!!! You guys are starting my midlife crisis discussing all this venerable gear from my early days!!!!!

#4987 09/09/02 02:06 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
BBIBH,

Thanks for bringing this post to a close, although it may not deter Randyman from a discussion of open-reel machines and the Elcassette (!). Tempted though I am, when I found myself rummaging through a carton in the closet to find my Watts Parostatik Disc Cleaner (chrome handle, brush sandwiched between plush green velvet), I thought "this is getting out of hand!". (I found the Watts). Besides, the walnut-handled Discwasher always worked better.

Enough, already!

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#4988 09/16/02 07:53 PM
veteran
veteran
OK

AMEN!

Case (thread) closed!

Rman