Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Once again..........HELP!!
#49936 06/20/04 05:33 AM
shareholder in the making
Is this in your basement? You should be able to get concrete or masonry screws or somesuch to use the full metal bracket on that wall. But before you rush out to buy such things (or put more holes in the wall!) let's wait for someone with a little more construction experience than I to chime in. Get a beer.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#49937 06/20/04 05:42 AM
kayizm Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I live in an apartment, this is in my living room. Damn this is frustrating. I have all of this equipment now and cant do a damn thing with it! I guess I'll have to get some caulk or something to fill this damn hole :-(

#49938 06/20/04 05:44 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Is the house older construction or newer? Is one wall interior and the other exterior? Are both walls breaking up when you put in the anchors or just one?

[black]-"The further we go and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."[/black]
#49939 06/20/04 05:48 AM
kayizm Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I live in an apartment. Im scared to even try the other wall but I know it is hollow (at least it sounds that way when I tap onto it)

#49940 06/20/04 05:52 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Well, I'm not sure what to tell you...stands are certainly one option. To hang my qs8s I got a stud finder at home depot, used it to locate the studs in my wall, and screwed straight into them. The qs8s are pretty heavy to hang from anything wishy-washy and its hard to take a stab at what your apartment walls are made of.

[black]-"The further we go and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."[/black]
#49941 06/20/04 08:03 AM
M
local
local
M
Hey there, sounds frustrating!

First thing determine exactly what the wall is made of, as others have asked. Those EZ will work for drywall but not concrete, cement or brick, and actually you don't want to be trying to screw those into a stud, behind the drywall, it wont work.

If you have drywall then those EZ plugs should work fine, be carefull not to over tighten them this could be breaking up the wall, or it could be you're not applying enough pressure when screwing them in. Those thing can be a little fussy...

An alternative, which would work better for drywall is the old fashion plug. These come in differnet materials, plastic being the most common. As mention earlier,pre drill the hole first, tap the plug in with a hammer, and screw your mounting screw into the plug. It's a good idea to check these once in a while to make sure they're not coming out. Wouldn't want to see those Q's fall to the floor.

If you have a solid wall ( concrete, brick,ect. ) or want to screw into a stud ( generally spaced 12" to 16" apart behind drywall ) then you simply need screws. For concrete use a masorary screw, and for the stud a simple wood screw would be fine. Pre drilling is always a good idea, it makes things easier and neater. For the cement, brick you would want a masonary bit, and if you had access to it a hammer drill, if not then it'll just take a little longer to drill with a regular one.

Using a screw for any wall type that'll go 1 inch into the wall should be good. ie: 1 1/2 -> 2

A simple trick for screwing into the latter is to use a bit of liquid soap on the screw thread before you screw it into the wall, this will make it earier for you.

Don't worry about holes in the wall, they can easily be patched with some plaster and then sanded.

Also if you trying to figure out what material you're trying to srew into, you can use a small bit and drill into it, or a fine nail. This will give you a very good idea if you're dealing with cement/brick, drywall, or a wooden stud behind the drywall. Such a small hole is easily filled with plaster and you'll never see once it's dried.

Try Home Depot I find for the most part the folks there are pretty knowledgeable, just tell them what you're trying to do.

Good luck, Jag

#49942 06/20/04 12:23 PM
A
A
Get a drill and a bit set. I rec. the ryobi 18 volt at home depot. Great tool for the price. Charges up fast and has plenty of power. You can get a complete tool kit if you want to--share the same two batteries and all work well. Anyway, sounds like you have plaster walls, which may look like drywall but are harder and will crumple when you screw into them. If that's the case, use masonry bits. Start with a thin bit and work up to size you need to insert a plastic plug. Plastic plugs will say on the package the size bit you need to use. Don’t buy them with the bit included because the bit they give you is horrible. Use a finishing nail and mark it with a magic marker to length of plug and poke it in hole until you’ve drilled in far enough. If you hit a stud behind the plaster, that’s ok. Just switch to a wood bit and drill into the stud. Then use the right size drywall screw. What I mean by right size is that when you buy the plastic plugs the package indicates the size screws it can take. Drywall screws have really durable heads so they won’t get stripped when you screw them in. Now the other possibility is you do have drywall but are hitting something behind the drywall and this is causing your anchor to not go in all the way and crumple the wall. Again use a small bit, drill in and you’ll know if your hitting something metal that is preventing you from getting through or hitting a stud. If you hit a stud you’ll get sawdust on your bit. Don’t pick a location above an outlet cause there might be wires behind the wall there. Another tool you might consider is a stud locator. However if you have thick plaster walls these tend not to work. Look at your wall closely. You might be able to see clues as to where the studs are. Are other things installed? If so where do the screws go. Are there vertical lines where dry wall sheet met dry wall sheet? Dry wall is installed either with nails or screws into the studs. Sometimes you can see where this was done. Plaster will be smooth though it can crack. Here’s another test. Take a thin drywall screw and try to screw it in a hidden spot. Does the wall crumple? That’s plaster. You might want to hold a piece of paper of cardboard or an open box under where you are drilling. Plaster will make a mess.

#49943 06/20/04 02:31 PM
kayizm Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I think that is exactly what i have, Plaster! Im going out to Home Depot and get that drill you spoke of, allong with the necessary bits, screws and plugs to be sure. Now is it the plug that is going to hold the T-bracket as well as the speaker on the wall? If not what is the actual thing that is going to hold the QS8s and bracket to the wall.

#49944 06/20/04 05:37 PM
You're going to have a plug and then a screw that you screw through the T-bracket into the plug, which is already in the wall. Pretty much was I was talking about before.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#49945 06/20/04 07:48 PM
A
A
The plug gives you a hole that the screw goes into. Just like the anchors you tried first. It allows the wall to support a lot more weight than it otherwise would. With plaster, brick, or drywall you need some type of plug. Wood is about the only thing you can screw into directly. Once you see the plugs, you'll understand. If you want to support something very heavy you need to screw into the studs behind the wall. Another thing you can pick up when you are there is some plaster repair. Ask the help desk what you can use. Some type of putty/paste and a cheap putty knife (plastic, under a buck). And bring in a piece of the plaster that fell off your wall. Show it to the paint dept. and get some matching paint. Get a small can of primer and prime first. That way you won't be stuck with loosing your deposit when you move. Plus you'll be less afraid to drill, knowing you can patch it back up. Ryobi has smaller battery drills. Go for the 18 volt one. Look at the different package deals they sell of these ryobi tools. The vacuum is underpowered but comes in handy in the car or just cleaning up the little dust from drilling. The reciprocating saw and jigsaw and even circular saw all work great. When the battery goes bad, just buy another tool that uses the same type of battery. Having two drills is great—one for the screwdriver bit and the other to drill with. Or one for the starter bit size and one to finish the hole.
Behr Premium Plus Enamel (Home Depot) A CR Best Buy. Prime first after patching. The color will match better. Buy a Purdy 1” paintbrush. Expensive but worth it. I think like $7. Make sure they give you some free stirrers (ask for extra). Water based paints you can simply wash your brush after use. Then put it back in cardboard wrap it came in to help retain its shape. Put paint can in open box when mixing and working. This will collect any spills. Have a wet cloth ready to mop up any drips.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters