Hanging M80's from ceiling..
#5001 08/19/02 08:20 PM
M
MIKEY Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
M
My room measures 12 wide, 21 long, with ceiling running long way, 8' each end to a peak of 10 in the middle..
System: M80's, VP150, two QS8's (two more soon), two less than adequate KLH 10" subs, and the Denon 3802.. Mits 65"..
I would like to create more of a Theater look, with curtains across the top and down the sides.. Nothing as grand as Joes, but I gotta try, eh..
Getting the 80's up leaves me less clutter around the set.. EG: Subs, Amp rack, empties, etc..
If I go heavy fabric, the speakers will have to be visable.. But I might use the sheer 'scrim' type found in stage plays.. See thru it if lit from behind, but not if lit from the front.. I could then paint a scene on it.. Not as luxurious as Blue Velvet, but the speakers could fire thru the scrim unhindered..
Has anyone found info on hanging speakers ? Might someone have some guidelines to follow ? The weight is not an issue, as I used to hang my old studio monitors, back in the old 4 track 'home studio' dazz.. My concern is placement, and just IF hanging toweres is a good idea ? Will it effect the sound in a bad way ? Shouldn't, eh ?
Oh, sorry.. If I do hang the M80's, I will also be hanging the VP150.. Might as well hide them all.. Besides, I have often wondered what effect the center channel had on the t/v, what with all vibrations and such from the sound ? Something to think about, right ? Getting these rear projection sets tune in is a chore.. No need adding to them going out any faster ?
Ok, nuff said for now.. Let me know what ya think.. Thanks to all...

LFE ! The rest is just details..
Re: Hanging M80's from ceiling..
#5002 08/20/02 02:31 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hello Mikey,

The same things apply to hanging speakers as they do to locating any speakers: proximity to room surfaces (the ceiling and nearby walls) will affect the sound. The closer the speakers are, the greater the effect, which may or may not be objectionable.

The dispersion pattern will change somewhat, and might even be flattering, what with all that spatial stuff happening. I know that with my M80s, when I lie on the floor to do back exercises, I get terrific imaging and soundstaging that's very different than when I sit in front of them. I actually prefer the sound of them when I'm on the floor, but that's sort of impractical.

Could you put them up on a couple of stepladders (be careful, those suckers are heavy) at about the proposed height to see how they sound?

The VP150 has no significant effect on your TV--projection, direct-view, whatever. The mass of the VP150 enclosure and the TV cabinet are sufficient to damp any spurious vibration.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 740 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup