Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Receivers... how 'bout Rotel?
#50263 06/27/04 05:17 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I don't think you will be unhappy with the Rotel equipment. It is very good equipment. I have a sweet system in my office entirely Rotel with Energy loudspeakers.

Now, BEFORE I ever go on a message board such as this and post questions, I always research my topic on my own. I try to educate myself with every little detail. Then, I can have an intelligent question to post and offer an educated answer. I NEVER go to a message board like this and provide verbal (keyboard) flatulence. Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion. Their are a lot of HIGHLY educated and knowledgeable people here willing to help, at least have the common courtesy to evaluate their answers to your questions.

It's also your money. If you don't mind spending more on gear, thats your choice. I personally refuse to spend more on gear that will be obsolete in a few years.

Good luck on your qwest!

My $.02

M80's VP150 QS8's Earthquake SuperNova MKV-15
Integra DTR-7.4 Outlaw 755 Outlaw M200's Outlaw ICBM
#50264 06/27/04 05:44 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I wasn't trying to be harsh. My point was to make you think.
I also understand your desire for the best sound possible. No one wants to spend their hard earned money on "junk". At the same time there are a lot of cheaper options that you would be happy with. I went through the same thing when I bought my Rotel gear seven years ago. Since then it's been a passion and an addiction for the best sound for the money.
The money I saved on my current home theater saved my marriage No joke. I took my wife on a cruise. My home theater rivals most boutique systems out there. I'm not bragging just extremely excited and HAPPY with my system.

#50265 06/27/04 07:43 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
tleigh, you were far from harsh. Consider the tone of the man to whom you responded.
I went to a high-end store recently. My totally unreliable, personally biased perceptions. Integra and Rotel amps sounded identical; B&W CD4MHT (or some slew of alphanumerical crap) DO NOT sound like M60s - the B&W tweeter was sibilant as heck and the midrange was terrible, just awful; the McIntosh equipment wasn't in the same room as everything else so that you can't do any direct comparisons.

Wish I had more time - I'm going swimming. Enjoy wasting your money xopher.

#50266 06/27/04 08:52 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
In reply to:

Unless you have an audiophile's ear.

That's just like putting your fingers in your ears and sticking your tongue out at us. Once someone drops that line, there's no sense trying to reason with them.

Thanks for stopping by xopher. It's been fun.

#50267 06/28/04 01:10 AM
devotee
devotee
[rant]

Xopher's primary reason in posting here was obviously to impress us with his perceived knowledge of and taste in audio equipment, not to ask us for advice. In 2 separate threads he asked the group what we thought of certain equipment (while dismissing anything else as being "harsh" or "lacking soundstage"), and then, after we offered him our honest opinions and advice, proceeded to tell us why we are all full of crap.

Xopher considers himself an "audiophile". "Audiophiles" derive their own sense of importance by looking down their noses at those of us who refuse to buy into the idea that you have to pay a lot of money for acceptable sound.

Maybe there are people who can perceive a big difference between, say, a Denon 3805 and a Rotel receiver costing twice as much, and don't mind paying the difference. If you are one of them, power to you, and enjoy your expensive gear. Don't, however, come on a board like this one and act like a big snob who knows more than the rest of us.

[/rant]

Mark

"Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff"
#50268 06/28/04 01:37 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Don't get your panties in a bunch, guys. While I was swimming (I got water in my ear now - my M60s sound like Rockets) I realized that xopher is probably TonyGeno in disguise. His sole purpose in life is to try to piss you off.

BTW, it is nice when we rally together like this, eh pmb?

#50269 06/28/04 01:45 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I think we're speaking to the wind. While we were not particularly gentle with xopher's ideas, we, for the most part, confined our criticism to the arguments he was presenting.

Unfortunately he seems unable to separate the arguments we presented from the people who made them, finally losing his temper, and resorting to the last bastion of the unreasonable; the personal insult. Too bad.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#50270 06/28/04 01:46 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Very Funny I actually Had some time to think this over and agree with both you and Mark. Funny how our hobbies take over.. Personally, I wanted to b*tch slap X. Pardon the expression it's the beer talking.

Tom

#50271 06/28/04 01:18 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I agree with your thoughts on the originator, and the motives and lack of openness to listen to differing opinions.

But I think you have missed the mark by using a single brush stroke to paint all "audiophiles" as arrogant. Yes, I have met many of these during my time, but have also met, and try to be as objective as possible. I beleive there is better equipment out there, and I am lucky enough to be able to attain expensive equipment if I so choose.

I have however, spent a lot of time helping people buy their first, or entry level systems. I try to provide balanced, objective and honest advice based on the supplied criteria ( budget, wants, needs). Not everyone believes in the information that abounds in audio (myths, ramblings, lies, scientifc facts - or whatever you would like to term them) and genuine audio fans (like most on this board) will enter into rational debates, and be open to alternate views.

There are however, people who are above the law, and these unfortunately give all of us a bad reputation

I heard a phrase once - Never wrestle with a pig. Nobody will know the difference, and only the pig will be happy!

Unless you are Ghostwheel and watching DSOTM/Wizard of OZ.....and his weedwacker and live chicken parties!!!

#50272 06/28/04 04:51 PM
devotee
devotee
I wasn't trying to lump all audiophiles together...that's why the use of quotations around the work "audiophile" in my rant. I was referring to that subset of people who, like Xopher, think they know it all and look down their nose at anybody with a Japanese receiver. I also didn't want to launch a personal attack on Xopher alone, thinking that that may violate the rules of this forum, so I directed my rant at "audiophiles" like Xopher.

As I stated in my rant, there are probably those who can hear the difference between a $1,000 and $10,000 receiver, and are willing to pay the difference, and I have no problem with that. My problem was with someone who asks us our advice, and then after we give it, calls us a bunch of ignoramuses

Mea Culpa.

Mark

"Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff"
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,478
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Kodiak), 1,080 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup