Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Re: What's your Movie/Music Ratio?
#51185 07/15/04 06:55 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
What's that, Starr is your cousin?

It is too bad the way the Republicans and the media went after Clinton. Did harm to us all. It's also a shame the way the mainstream media seems to have chosen to hate Bush.

Back when I had a rather nihilistic world view, my Dad would rant about the liberal media and I would counter with the assertion that they are part of the machine that perpetuates lies, prevents substantive change, creates the public agenda, frames our choices, etc... I guess it's all perspective. For someone looking for revolutionary change, I guess the media looks pretty conservative.

It's also a shame to watch vile domestic partisan politics at a time that, in the future, will likely be viewed as a critical juncture in American foreign policy.

#51186 07/15/04 06:55 PM
aficionado
aficionado
depends on your definition of "inappropriate"

no but seriously guys, the number of political hijacks lately has been growing and growing. I'm going to start a political discussion thread, and hope that we can stop hijacking posts like this and have these arguments there instead. I know things come up in one thread sometimes, but anyone wishing to start a political tangent can put a "See OT: politics" post in and then bump that thread.

[black]-"The further we go and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."[/black]
#51187 07/15/04 06:59 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I watch "Fox News" on my big screen, doesn't that amke this the appropriate forum for such a discussion?

Seriously though, O'Reilly is an ass. Very rude guy - shouting down guests all the time. I don't watch him, but the few times I have he seems to have a lot of well reasoned positions.

And Fox is no more fair and balanced than CNN.

#51188 07/15/04 06:59 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
good idea ringmir..

but i reckon a few months after the election, no one will hardly care to discuss politics anyway..

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#51189 07/15/04 07:28 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Mark, you know how I feel about political posting, but I gotta tell you, your first post (beginning Starr is your cousin?) was one of the most non-partisan, even handed, balanced, reasonable and, in my opinion, accurate political posts I've ever seen. I was going to send you this intended compliment in a PM (I coulda insulted you better that way ). But, I've complained publicly before, so I thought I should hand out the kudos publicly also. Bravo, Mark. (Don't let it go to your head, though )

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#51190 07/15/04 07:42 PM
aficionado
aficionado
To those who say that Bush is getting a bigger roasting than Clinton did, I point you towards exhibit A: the Lewinsky scandal. Yes, he cheated on his wife. Did anyone die as a result? Nope. Did we really need all that coverage? And an impeachment trial? How much taxpayer money was wasted on that? Meanwhile, Bush severely harms our international relations and sends hundreds of our troops to their death in a war fought in part on lies, and some of the media is understandably upset about it, but a far cry from the hysteria Clinton got over a blowjob.

Which is worse, infidelity or sending American sons, daughters, wives and husbands into harm's way when it isn't necessary?

#51191 07/15/04 08:10 PM
old hand
old hand
whether it was necessary or not is pretty subjective. We seem to forget that this all started with a bunch of cowards flying planes into the WTC. I don't think there would have been a war without such an event hitting so close to home. People sign up for military sevice knowing full well that they may be sent into harms way. If they aren't willing to make this sacrifice then they they should have made that decision. Maybe there was misinformation regarding the WMD, the jury is still out. I personally think it's still there or across a border somewhere in a neighboring country. That aside, Saddam still needed to be taken out of power. Think of all of the people he's killed and oppressed while lving in many multi-million dollar mansions and supporting terrorists. Personally, I don't think the [censored] deserves a trial - a hollow-point 45 to the temple would be just fine. The US gets criticized no matter which position we take - if we help out a country's people we have alterior motives(i.e. oil) - if we don't then we get accused of staying away because there's no political gain from it. We've funneled more money into needy nations than any other country on Earth - and we're still the bad guy. We're thought of as obnoxious, wasteful bullies. I say we lock down the borders, close our wallet and let them fend for themselves. We'll see how long they last. I could go on for hours but I should actually try to get some work done today.

Pete

#51192 07/15/04 08:19 PM
local
local
Yes, he is a cousin. My dad used to hope he'd make the Supreme Court but I think the Special Prosecutor job ended that possibility. My impression is that Ken Starr was more interested in getting Clinton than on justice. One of my pet peeves is the politicization of the courts. It has always been that way but I don't have to like it.

Mark
#51193 07/15/04 08:21 PM
L
hobbyist
hobbyist
L
AdamP88 you are completely missing the point of the impeachment trials against Clinton. THE MAN LIED UNDER OATH. That is as offensive as treason, and for the man with the most power in a democratic system to do that makes a mockery of our entire system. by the way i'm replubican and i don't like bush that much, and i liked some of clinton's policies but not the one where you LIE UNDER OATH

#51194 07/15/04 08:24 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Gentlepersons,

Please, I beg you, leave it. Or at least take it to the OT:Politics thread.

I desperately want to continue enjoying the company of each of my Axiom brethren, and I implore you to spend your time feeding those passions which unite us, rather than divide us.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,087 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup