Rate Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
What's your Movie/Music Ratio?
#51115 07/01/04 07:19 PM
Daphoid Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Ok mine's odd. It's 90/10. See because my computer is in the same room, hell this is my bedroom Whenever my Axiom's aren't playing movies, they're playing music....all the time

You can just see my bed at the edge of picture, so this room is my bedroom... 20' x 14' filled with Axiom goodness

Music comes from digital coaxial (RCA) from my computer to the AVR-3805... damn I love my bedroom.

Ok enough about me, what about YOU!!?

- D

"Big John is my Idol...or is it that other way around? Let's ask Ray!"
Re: What's your Movie/Music Ratio?
#51116 07/01/04 07:30 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
If you count Baby Einstein videos as movies , mine would be around 10/90% in favor of music. Otherwise, 5/95%?

#51117 07/01/04 07:36 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
i am probably 60% music/40% movies. i try and watch at least 1-2 movies during the week, and at least 1 or 2 on the weekend. my buddy has a dvd collection of around 300 movies, so i have been going thru them like wildfire. on the line up for this weekend.. the final movie of the LOTR trilogy, and 'the last samurai'..

i also plan on going to see the 'farenheit 9/11' movie tonight at the theater. i wanna see what all the hoopla is about.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#51118 07/01/04 07:42 PM
old hand
old hand
90/10 movies/music. What can I say, I'm a big movie fan!

- Bill

#51119 07/01/04 07:49 PM
Daphoid Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
go see spiderman 2

"Big John is my Idol...or is it that other way around? Let's ask Ray!"
#51120 07/01/04 07:52 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
97% music 3%movies. love my tunes!!
Bray

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#51121 07/01/04 07:53 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I'm about 50/50. How's that for walkin' the fence?

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#51122 07/01/04 08:24 PM
old hand
old hand
Need some help with my ratio here
I listen to the music while watching muted tv
is it 100/100?

#51123 07/01/04 08:56 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Pre-axiom I was probably 30/70 Music Movies.
Post-axiom I am flipped 70/30 Music Movies.

Most saturdays and sundays are now spent listening to wonderful music while reading/surfing/gaming/snoozing/chatting/etc. Plus, the first thing I do when I get home now is put in a cd. In the past it was turn on the tube!

jr

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." C Hitchens
#51124 07/01/04 09:28 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I watch movies/tv probably 75%, while I listen to cds onyl 25%.

I don't know how much my habits will change once the beauties come in. Although I can basically guarantee that while the ratio may not change, the basic amount of viewing/listening will probably increase. Hopefully, I start watching more movies than tv though - which is probably 40% movies, 60% tv right now.

#51125 07/01/04 10:34 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur

Even sympathetic critics said the latest film is not as good as his first and certainly wasn't deserving of the top prize in Cannes.

Last edited by BigWill; 07/01/04 10:38 PM.
#51126 07/01/04 10:59 PM
shareholder in the making
I take it you're now one of those sympathetic critics?

I haven't seen it yet, but a good friend says he liked it better than BfC because Michael Moore isn't in front of the camera as much.

#51127 07/02/04 12:46 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Mine's probably 80/20 music/movies. I've noticed an increase of photos here recently, and I've gotta say I'm always fascinated to see what folks are doing and what their setups look like. Anyone else care to add some more? Here's what I've managed to do within the limitations of a fairly tiny apartment. Obviously, it would be better to bring the VP150 up to the same firing line as the M22s, but this is really the best compromise I've found so far.

M22s
EP175
VP150
QS4s
Marantz SR5200
Pioneer Elite DV45A
Sony CA70ES
Panasonic TV & VCR

M22ti mains, EP175 sub, VP150 center, QS4 surrounds
#51128 07/02/04 04:21 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I took out the bulk of my above statement regarding that fat bastard's motion picture after reading Ajax's complaints about the politicization of this forum.

#51129 07/02/04 05:48 AM
axiomite
axiomite
LOL! You did fine up until the "fat bastard" comment. That kinda gave you away.

Jack

#51130 07/02/04 02:22 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
i dont wanna take this conversation to the next level(cause it is politically based), but after seeing the 9/11 movie, i feel compelled to suggest that EVERYONE go see this movie. republicans, democrats, green party, independents, whatever you wanna call yourself.

does michael moore have an agenda?? of course!! doesnt everyone when dealing with politics.

but the info provided in this movie, regardless of its pro-democratic spin, is true, valid, and compelling. i think thats a lot of the core fears for republicans with seeing this movie. they dont wanna know, or choose to ignore the facts and issues that it raises. the movie definitely pointed out several things that i was unaware of. so unaware in fact, that i came home and researced some of the things from the movie, just to ensure it was true, and not propaganda. low and behold, it checked out, and thats kinda scary.

and on a completely non-political angle.. the movie is just well made.. i found myself totally engaged in the flow and timing of this film. i thought it was much better than 'bowling for columbine', and on the same level as 'roger and me'.

i think if you are prepared to have your eyes opened, and have what you think to be true challenged, then you should go see this movie. but, if you are a hardcore republican, then this movie will probably have no affect on you what so ever. its really all about one's state of mind. whether you choose to believe, or ignore the message, it still doesnt change the fact that it is all very interesting.

bigjohn

#51131 07/02/04 02:52 PM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
bj,
Thanks for the honest review! I had planed to wait till this one came out on DVD but your review has pumped my interest. I think I'll take an extra long lunch break and go see it today.

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
#51132 07/02/04 04:26 PM
devotee
devotee
Michael Moore on the fall of the Soviet Union:

"One evil empire down, one to go"

That's all I need to know.

Mark

"Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff"
#51133 07/02/04 04:37 PM
local
local
We saw the movie yesterday. Trying not to take this political I have this to say: Having read a fair bit of critism of the movie, I did not find the critism particularly warranted from either political pole. I found the movie to be a masterful work of propaganda. It is not meant to be objective and is not really a documentary.

What I found is that it primarily raises questions. At least that is how I took it. What it did for me was to remind me of many questions I have had that I had forgotten. It collapsed the time elapsed and reminded me of how many questions have not been satisfactorilly answered, it made me look at a pattern of unanswered questions. It makes me ask the big question of why is this?

I admire the skill to take a mass of both his own, and many other film clips, and put it all together in a way that compellingly holds your attention for two hours. It moves at a good pace and is quite entertaining.

I believe Michael Moore is sincere in his convictions. I don't think you have to agree with him to appreciate that he is pursueing his convictions with outstanding skill at getting people to look at issues. Even if you hate what he says you can ask yourself exactly why is that?

For me what Michael Moore does is demonstrate very grafficly what democracy and freedom are all about: The ability to speak out in full opposition and ask for answers. I think this is the core of the democratic process, as uncomfortable as it can be at times. It puts the burden where it belongs, on each one of us to to pay attention and find what is true for ourselves. My hat's off to bigjohn for going home and looking for his own answers and verification.

Mark
#51134 07/02/04 04:55 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I just want to applaud everyone's civility and reasoning.

I also want to especially thank bigwill and mhorgel for their witty concision.

So, is "what's your movie/music ratio?" the audio-net-geek equivalent of "do you come here often?"

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#51135 07/02/04 05:07 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Ha! I can sympathize w/ that one...

#51136 07/02/04 06:28 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
bigjohn, I haven't seen the movie - and will not so long as that fat bastard would profit from it - so I cannot comment upon the validity of its content.

However, with the plethora of keen analytical minds on this board, I do find it interesting that nobody seems to question Mr. Moore's credibility. If he is so sincere about telling us his message, why does he charge you $8-10 to hear it? Why doesn't he donate all of his proceeds from the movie to charity - or provide free showings? You guys know better than to believe what the salesman at CC or GG tells you about the products he wants you to buy. Why be so willing to buy Mr. Moore's product? His primary intent is to make a wad of cash, just as every other demagogue who purports to be a spreader of the truth.

#51137 07/02/04 06:46 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
divert focus, and shift the center of attention.. text book dodging tactics..

if someone makes a movie about the 'lies and profit' of michael moore, i promise you, i will go see it!

until then, i will choose to use my 'analytical' skills on decifering and understanding the points of this movie.

and to ask why he 'charges' people to see a movie, is kinda out there bigwill. why do you cash YOUR paychecks?? why dont you just teach for free, to the betterment of our nation.. you do a job, you get paid.. its been that way forever.. i hope you dont expect him to be a saint?? i would be the first to say, he aint.. but i would also say that those are some mighty high expectations from you??

why dont you 'expect' the same from your president?

bigjohn

#51138 07/02/04 06:59 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
As I said in my first sentence above, bigjohn, I can't comment on the movie - I haven't seen it and I'm not going to pay to go see it. I did see a clip from the film (on the news) in which Bush is shown talking about the war in Iraq and then says, "Now watch this drive," with a smile. Following that, a quick succession of other Bush golfing clips. Moore's point is clear: Bush sends troops overseas to kill and die while he's off having a great time playing golf. But the quick juxtaposition of images is a psychological tactic to influence viewers on a subconscious level - not an attempt to appeal to their intellects through rational discourse. As someone mentioned previously we're talking about propaganda here, "info-tainment".
The movie is not a "professional journal article", as chesseroo was fond of saying.

#51139 07/02/04 08:02 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
i concur, there is a fair amount of 'info-tainment'(first time i have seen that term, and i like it) in the movie. and as i had mentioned, there is most definitely a pro-democratic spin on the movie.

but the fact remains, that there are several actual, true, documented occurances that raise all kinds of red flags in my mind about the behavior and tactics of george w. clearly, you wish not to see the movie, therefore, any additional commentary about its content will be in vain. so i reckon we can agree to disagree.

there is an 'agenda' to this movie.. there is 'propganda' in this movie. but there is also plenty of valid, true occurances that make a semi-intelligent guy like myself question the reasonings behind george w's decisions.

it is a well made movie, and it is justified. i can dig the fact that we have different opinions and views on politics. thats cool, thats why we love living in america so much. nothing personal, no viscious attacks, no name calling.. we are two grown men with different views.. nuff said.

bigjohn

#51140 07/02/04 08:06 PM
I have not seen the movie, but I would point out that Democrat and Republican are not the end all, be all of American politics or political views. In fact, I do not doubt that Michael Moore also has it in for career, corrupt Democratic politicians as well.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#51141 07/02/04 08:14 PM
In reply to:

If he is so sincere about telling us his message, why does he charge you $8-10 to hear it?

I don't recall Michael Moore having a problem with capitalism. He had staff, investors, and a distribution company to pay. He shouldn't need to martyr himself on the altar of capitalism to have his message taken seriously.

The movie is factually correct, but the way in which the facts are presented are crafted from an obviously biased perspective. Because of that, Moore ends up blurring the line between documentary and propaganda film.

#51142 07/02/04 08:26 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
90% music, 10% movies.

Couldn't understand why the Eternal permitted an ass-kicking cowboy, who wasn't sufficiently intelligent to see the world in terms other than black and white, to steal the election from a very intelligent, decent (though a bit strange) fella like Al Gore ... until 9/11 when I felt a wave of relief that the guy I voted for lost and that we had an ass-kicking cowboy in the Whitehouse.

Lifelong democrat ... things a' changin'

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#51143 07/02/04 08:35 PM
A fine example of the illogicity of sticking to your political party for the sake of loyalty alone. When change occurs, it's important to re-evaluate.

#51144 07/02/04 11:26 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
pmb, I'm not saying Moore shouldn't be allowed to make money from his film. I was just simply pointing out that he's making a lot of money from this film.

If the point were to educate the public - why bury your message in a montage of video clips? The emotive impact of the art form DETRACTS from the credibility of the political statement. Why not write an editorial, an essay or a position piece for a journal? Because he needs the multi-sensory power of the big screen to add weight and impact to his message.

Similarly, Rage Against the Machine lyrics, without the exquisite raw violence of their music, would be lacking. If their message is so important they should be putting it down on paper in a more coherent form, so that the rationale for their positions could be more adequately explained and understood. So.. it's only music and it's only a movie - no big deal, I guess.

#51145 07/02/04 11:53 PM
BigWill, your arguments give a lot of credit to the attention span and intelligence of the general population. As a teacher, aren't you reminded every day of this? Sometimes you have to beat someone over the head with information before they aven begin to get it.

#51146 07/03/04 05:16 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
www.michaelmoorehatesamerica.com

Thats the only 'documentary' moive I plan to see

#51147 07/03/04 05:14 PM
old hand
old hand
Interesting comments. I don't have much to say, but I'd like to point out that nothing should be automatically taken at face value. If you go to see this film and come out of the theater, buttery hands and all, and think you saw 'truth', then you need to wake up. In an interview with Peter Rose Moore explained that if nothing else, he wanted people, of all political spectrums, to see the movie and cause conversation and debate. That, I think, is the most intelligent thing I've heard Mr. Moore say. I'll see this movie, and decide, but his last movie was waaay too cheesy for me. There were so many stretches in that one.

To comment on the idea of why he should use movie-making as a venue for his propoganda, why not? To point out - in the beginnings of this thread people were talking about movie to music ratio, and people are saying they own hundreds of movies. This country is all about entertainment. What better way to 'reach' the public than through movies?

On another note, I did hear from a review on Ebert and Roeper that someone is coming out with a movie that rips on Roger Moore. I'll definitely be seeing that one too.

Oh, and a personal thought: I think Mr. Moore needs address his excesses too, and get on a diet. That man is always talking about responsibilities. In my mind, his views may carry more weight if he weren't so obese. That's just my opinion.

#51148 07/03/04 07:03 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Yeah, having thought about it, why not use movies to get across your message? I was wrong, oh well.

How could anybody rip Roger Moore? That man's a saint - he actually has been knighted, right?

Or did you mean Michael Moore? I'd like to be the one to "knight" him!

#51149 07/03/04 07:14 PM
OK, come on. Rush Limbaugh is grossly obese by those standards, too. A man's weight has (should have?) nothing to do with his credibility. I think the fact that the dude has had a few more cookies than, say, me, is a slightly less significant alleged fact than the things he accuses the current administration of, be they accurate or simply his perception.

#51150 07/03/04 10:09 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
If you have seen Rush Limbaugh recently you would have noticed he is no longer overweight.That being said I use my Axioms 100% for music.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

#51151 07/03/04 10:11 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Rush must have changed his prescriptions to diet pills.

#51152 07/04/04 04:49 AM
90% music and 10% movies. If you listen to more music
than movies I would get a NAD T series AV Receiver, they have great stereolike non-fatiguing sound with music and the power ratings are very underrated. I have compared them
with Denon,Onkyo,etc and musically they don't compare to the "NAD Sound".

#51153 07/06/04 02:12 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur

#51154 07/06/04 03:18 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Nice one.

#51155 07/06/04 03:22 PM
aficionado
aficionado
This is the general problem I have with Moore. I agree with his message for the most part. But after Bowling for Columbine, and now Fahrenheit 911, I can't consider his work to be documentary. It's really satire more than documentary. He knowingly and purposefully twists the truth around to make his message stronger and more clear. Which is fine, but not fine in the name of documentary. Both movies raise a lot of good questions and should be watched and evaluated on an individual level. I just wish that he was more honest.

[black]-"The further we go and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."[/black]
#51156 07/06/04 04:25 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Moore's lack of "honesty" tends to make his message less "credible" in my mind too. But, in the end, he's trying to get a message across. If he were to tell a bland, cold documentarian style story regarding these issues, (1) they wouldn't be as controversial, which is the true life blood of his work, and (2) people woudl be bored to tears, and never go see his movies again. I think that it is a testament to his work that he can make people (a) laugh, (b) think and (c) make a point. Whether I agree with his views all the time are another issue. Whether I wish that he toned things down more so that his "good" messages coudl be taken more seriously - again, that's a different issue.

On the whole, Moore's style has made him a household name, and maybe the only documentarian (used however loosely as you prefer) that people can name without too much thought.

#51157 07/06/04 04:45 PM
devotee
devotee
In reply to:

Moore's lack of "honesty" tends to make his message less "credible" in my mind too. But, in the end, he's trying to get a message across.

So it's OK to lie in order to make your point that the president is a liar? It's wrong to lie when you're trying to round up allies in the war against terror, but it's OK to lie when you're trying to influence the presidential election?

In reply to:

Moore's style has made him a household name, and maybe the only documentarian (used however loosely as you prefer) that people can name without too much thought.

Moore is NOT a documentarian. Even he calls "Farenheit 9/11" an op-ed piece.

Mark

#51158 07/06/04 07:27 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Mark

Your points are well made (and well recieved).

I was not trying to imply that lying is acceptable in his field. To the contrary, I wish that he "lied" or stretched the truth, or did whatever he does, in a more straighforward way, that didn't make it seem like he was hiding the ball or leaving something important out of the picture. If he were more able to be so one-sided, and more able to give credit where it is due, he would have a lot more credibility. I find his points harder to believe (even when they are true) BECAUSE of the fact that he stretches and distorts the truth so often otherwise. My point is that, if he is correct, then he shouldn't need to lie. But he does, which, in my mind, weakens his position.

And Documentarian or not (with or without qualifiers), Moore's movies are not shy about the fact that he has an agenda. The marketing, his comentary, hsi well publicizes political views - all of these acknowlegde the truth that these are op-ed pieces. I guess I was trying to say that, above all else, Moore is a capitalist. He's trying to make money. Without his "slant," his movies would be boring drivel, and the masses would not be attending in droves (or discussing it in off topic forums via the www)

In the end - Moore is not my favorite. I don't, in fact, agree with a lot of his politics. I don't agree with his ambush style of geurilla movie making. But, he makes me laugh, that donut eating fatso! And he makes me think, which is more than can be said for most summer movie fare

#51159 07/06/04 07:55 PM
local
local
Interesting reference. What I like about it and Michael Moore's movie is that this all gets us asking questions about things we wouldn't be asking about otherwise.

I would like to raise the issue of how we determine what is truth. In both the case of Farenhiet 9/11 and this expose, most of what we are dealing with is conclusiory in nature rather than purely factual. The line between what is fact and what is conclusion is often quite indistinct.

A few years ago I had to research this issue from a legal standpoint. In California, when involved in a legal action you have the right in most cases to ask the judge for detailed written findings for review by a higher court. These used to to be called Findings of Fact and Conclusions of Law. Several years ago this was changed to be called simply a Statement of Decision. I think the older nomenclature was better because it was more distinct and therefore clear. Why did this matter? Because an appellate court generally does not review findings of fact which a trial court is in a better position to determine. Rather the appellate court review for errors in conclusions or application of law. The problem is in many cases what is a factual finding is a conclusion which overlaps quite significantly with a conslusion of law. Your case may hinge upon such distinctions.

When we start looking at what are lies or truths we are generally making conclusions first about what are facts and what signifigance we give to facts which may be only conclusions based on facts which are themselves only conclusions.

What I find in these discussions is that we all generally have already formed some level of conclusion and are looking for "facts" to support our earlier conclusions. So if you don't like G.W.Bush and his policies you tend to conclude Michael Moore has done a good job on exposing him. If you like G.W.Bush and his policies you tend to dislike M. Moore and his enrertaining propaganda and want to see it exposed as lies.

Personally I don't find Farenheit 9/11 or the exposure of Michael Moore's lies factual. Both appear as propagation of certain viewpoints with very selective use of "facts", themselves often comprised of many conclusions.

Is either of these viewpoints the truth? Not to my mind. For me the truth derives from considering all these efforts to support a viewpoint, adding my own efforts to muster facts, synthesizing a theory of reality and observing further, whether my theory has much predictive value upon which I may base my actions.

A large engrossing task that is never done. I am thankful that others do so much work to provide me fodder from which to work.

Mark
#51160 07/07/04 04:11 AM
veteran
veteran
wow! talk about someone serious about screen realestate for your computer... you got to be a programmer or graphics person. call me impressed!
I'm currently 80/movie 20/music. I listen to most of my CDs in my car. sorry to say that a lot of my rock CDs sound better in my car...it's weird I know -- but it's a fact!

#51161 07/07/04 09:29 PM
devotee
devotee
In reply to:

I guess I was trying to say that, above all else, Moore is a capitalist. He's trying to make money.

You've hit the nail on the head. Though he tries to make us believe that all of the world's problems are caused by white male capitalists, Moore is an unabashed white male capitalist! This level of hypocrisy disgusts me, and I refuse to contribute a nickel of my hard earned money to Michael Moore's pockets.

Mark

#51162 07/07/04 09:35 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
so tell us how you REALLY feel, mark!!

bigjohn

#51163 07/08/04 03:34 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hey bigjohn! How come when I said that I got yelled at, but mhorgel says it and gets frickin' happy faces?

#51164 07/08/04 03:44 AM
Doctor Knows Best.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#51165 07/08/04 04:35 AM
veteran
veteran
That idiot Moore isn't worth the sh#t in a cat's ass. I hope he eats sh#t and lives the despicable money vulture of the mindless.

I'll spit on him if I ever see him. Besides that he seems like a really nice, charitable guy.

#51166 07/08/04 04:44 AM
aficionado
aficionado

M80's VP150 QS8's Earthquake SuperNova MKV-15
Integra DTR-7.4 Outlaw 755 Outlaw M200's Outlaw ICBM
#51167 07/08/04 01:13 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
i didnt realize i was yelling before??

na, i think i was having a bad day that day.. either way, marks just hit me as funny.. so did bilbo's.. i find amusement in the amount of passion that people feel toward michael moore and this movie. its either hate him, or love him, very few people in the middle ground.. with that said, i think i am middle ground.. i dont think the guy is a genius or nothing, but he definitely makes interesting flicks. exagerrated or not, i agree with a lot of his views, but not all..

everyone just assumes that ALL texans support george w.. not so.. my high school shop teacher was a good ole' boy, but that doesnt mean i think he's qualified to run the country.. blah, blah, we ALL have different views.. i dont wanna be the one to throw fuel on the fire..

hey, how bout them cowboys!!

bigjohn

#51168 07/08/04 01:32 PM
veteran
veteran
you're right ... good read. I should stay away from political posts... I'm not emotionally equipped to rationally discuss someone like Moore. His blatent hypocracy infuriates me.

#51169 07/08/04 01:38 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
do you kiss your mother with that mouth??

Nice left handed compliment

#51170 07/09/04 03:08 AM
aficionado
aficionado
John, I totally agree with your post. I'm also a middleman. I don't agree with many of his views, but you cannot argue with his approach. If more politically active supporters took his approach, more Americans would be in the know.

#51171 07/09/04 04:57 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

Intresting reading.
http://www.davekopel.com/Terror/Fiftysix-Deceits-in-Fahrenheit-911.htm

hmmm, I already posted that on page 2

/feels invisible

#51172 07/09/04 01:40 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
dont worry inane.. i had clicked on yours first!!

i see you!!

bigjohn

#51173 07/12/04 12:00 AM
devotee
devotee
It's probably 80% movies, 20% music. It was changed up a little when I first got my Axioms. Music was new and exciting...but movies have become moreso...so movies win!

On the topic of Michael Moore...all I can say is...the guy sickens me. He takes pleasure in being an ass an making America look bad in the name of cinematography and documentary. And what impecable timing. Gee...he's not a Democrat is he?

I want to make a movie praising Bush's good and strong character points and decision making. Then we can have some balance out there. Let's face it, Hollywood isn't made up of people who like Republicans. Too bad they fund the praising and publisizing and one-sided view of the great Democrats...and it's all down with anyone who happens to be a Republican...Bush.

"We're on the island of Misfit Toys"
#51174 07/15/04 11:14 AM
aficionado
aficionado
In reply to:

Let's face it, Hollywood isn't made up of people who like Republicans.

And Hollywood isn't alone.

To be fair, it's more anti-Bush than just plain anti-Republican.

#51175 07/15/04 03:21 PM
devotee
devotee
Exactly my point. You may be just another one of those brain-washed by the media Democrats

But I digress...enough politics for me.

#51176 07/15/04 03:49 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
misfit- i know you put a smiley face, but your post still struck a nerve..

i dont understand why its soo hard for republicans(which i assume you are) to understand that democrats(or non-republicans for that matter) have the ability to actually use a thought process and come up with their own opinions?? and we are not "brain-washed" by the domocratic media. when at the sametime, the republicans have the convience of using the 'on again/off again' blinders that allow them to ignore the plain and obvious shortcomings of their own party?

not to mention.. since we bring up brain washing.. i havent heard ONE republican have a single original thought in a long while.. all i keep hearing is what rush limbaugh, sean hannity, and bill o'reilly want you to think.. now, who is brain washing who??

bigjohn

#51177 07/15/04 04:41 PM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
Nice "original thought" bigjohn.

You're correct. No one does "brain influencing" better than the "right", particularly on a.m talk radio. Some on the right are ready to crucifiy Michael Moore for his movie and yet turn a blind eye or worse fall in line with the vitrol spewing raido hosts. Gimmme a frickin' break!

Smiley face or not, misfit's quip to adam was more than "struck a nerve", it was down right insulting. These political posts would not be so bad if people did not incorporate insults. Why must people use insult to get thier point across?

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
#51178 07/15/04 05:16 PM
devotee
devotee
Sorry if I stuck too hard a nerve. That's not my intent. In fact I'm not that heavily interested in politics. My comments are only in retaliation to all the things I don't like about politics. Mudslinging.
I'm not saying Republicans are always right. I'm not saying I agree with everything Rush says, or that the Republicans aren't involved in being "polictical" as well and have their own moments of mudslinging. But lets face it...the media is giving George Bush more hell than Bill Clinton got when he made mistakes. And you never hear about when a president does something good. It's always how they screwed up. And, of course, it always around election time.
My original point was simply that Mtv, Hollywood, and the media tend to be heavily Democrat driven. Now whether that's because it's all full of Democrats, or it's overseen by people who are Democrats and have an adjenda is my point. People such as yourselves that can make up your own mind are one thing. But there are people who really make up their mind based on what the media tells them. And that is not the best way to come to a decision because rarely do they tell the whole story.

I don't have a dislike for Democrats. I think it's good to have balance. My father-in-law is a Democrat and we get along just fine My REAL point is more a dislike for one-sided media. My other point was a dislike for the media's disrespect for their own President. We're just giving the rest of the world a bigger reason to hate us...which is not the message I'd personally like to send.

Sorry to all who were offended.

#51179 07/15/04 05:33 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
i took it that you were slamming democrats, and not the media. thanks for clarifying.

but i do think your viewpoint regarding the media depends on your perspective.. if you are a bush supporter, then you will obviously feel that the media is being harsh.. if you are a non-bush supporter, then you would think that the media isnt being harsh enough.. it all depends on your political stance.. but to say that the media didnt give clinton "hell" when he made mistakes is just wrong.. during the whole lewinsky scandal, that was the lead story EVERY day on the major networks.. i got sick of it.. not to mention the millions and millions of our tax dollars that republican kenneth star spent to prove that bill got a blow-job in the oval office.. the media didnt mention that, but they sure talked about his findings.. and just to note, bill aint the first, or the last president to get a little nookie on the side..

i will second the idea that polotics is all about mudslinging.. plain and simple.. to me, elections have become.. not who is the best candidate, but who is not the worse.. ALL politicans lie, and ALL politicians take advantage of whatever situation they can. after all, aint that the american way?

bigjohn

#51180 07/15/04 05:42 PM
buff
buff
I'm not jumping in to this discussion except to say that at Bill Clintons' book signing last week in D.C. some protesters outside had signs that said "Bill Clinton.Come out with your pants up!" What a hoot. It's been awhile since a twentysomething flashed a thong in my face also.

#51181 07/15/04 06:05 PM
local
local
I will say that I have never been able to accept the claims of one way media bias. There is enough media and bias to hear whatever slant you want. It all depends on who you decide to listen to in my view. To my mind the real media bias is in playing up whatever they think will hold attention 10 seconds longer so they can hit you with more advertising. They are terrible panderers to whatever brings in revenue, I think that's the real bias. From there it just depends on the bias group they are pandering to.

I will say that I think it was unprecedented to have a special prosecutor going after Bill Clinton for virtually the whole time he was in office at a cost of some $40,000,000. I have long thought I could convict God on something if I had $40,000,000 to devote to it. And all they could get on Clinton was lying about messing around with an intern. I will also say listening to him testify before congress, my cousin Kenneth impressed me as being as least as skilled as Mr. Clinton at evassive answers. But it all did good things for the media's bottom line, I'm sure.

Mark
#51182 07/15/04 06:43 PM
In reply to:

My REAL point is more a dislike for one-sided media.

Please oh please oh please tell me you don't watch Fox News. That is the single largest propaganda machine ever to be on the national airwaves. Fair and Balanced my a**.

Rupert Murdoch is the worst thing to ever happen to journalism.

#51183 07/15/04 06:48 PM
L
hobbyist
hobbyist
L
wow into a politics discussion way off topic! oh ya and clinton lied under oath there is absolutely no excuse for that.

#51184 07/15/04 06:52 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
al franken has a book out that just pans bill oreilly and the whole 'fair and balanced' angle.. its supposed to be pretty funny..

unfortunately, political humor gets boring after about page 5.. so i can never finish 'em.

bigjohn

#51185 07/15/04 06:55 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
What's that, Starr is your cousin?

It is too bad the way the Republicans and the media went after Clinton. Did harm to us all. It's also a shame the way the mainstream media seems to have chosen to hate Bush.

Back when I had a rather nihilistic world view, my Dad would rant about the liberal media and I would counter with the assertion that they are part of the machine that perpetuates lies, prevents substantive change, creates the public agenda, frames our choices, etc... I guess it's all perspective. For someone looking for revolutionary change, I guess the media looks pretty conservative.

It's also a shame to watch vile domestic partisan politics at a time that, in the future, will likely be viewed as a critical juncture in American foreign policy.

#51186 07/15/04 06:55 PM
aficionado
aficionado
depends on your definition of "inappropriate"

no but seriously guys, the number of political hijacks lately has been growing and growing. I'm going to start a political discussion thread, and hope that we can stop hijacking posts like this and have these arguments there instead. I know things come up in one thread sometimes, but anyone wishing to start a political tangent can put a "See OT: politics" post in and then bump that thread.

[black]-"The further we go and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."[/black]
#51187 07/15/04 06:59 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I watch "Fox News" on my big screen, doesn't that amke this the appropriate forum for such a discussion?

Seriously though, O'Reilly is an ass. Very rude guy - shouting down guests all the time. I don't watch him, but the few times I have he seems to have a lot of well reasoned positions.

And Fox is no more fair and balanced than CNN.

#51188 07/15/04 06:59 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
good idea ringmir..

but i reckon a few months after the election, no one will hardly care to discuss politics anyway..

bigjohn

#51189 07/15/04 07:28 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Mark, you know how I feel about political posting, but I gotta tell you, your first post (beginning Starr is your cousin?) was one of the most non-partisan, even handed, balanced, reasonable and, in my opinion, accurate political posts I've ever seen. I was going to send you this intended compliment in a PM (I coulda insulted you better that way ). But, I've complained publicly before, so I thought I should hand out the kudos publicly also. Bravo, Mark. (Don't let it go to your head, though )

Jack

#51190 07/15/04 07:42 PM
aficionado
aficionado
To those who say that Bush is getting a bigger roasting than Clinton did, I point you towards exhibit A: the Lewinsky scandal. Yes, he cheated on his wife. Did anyone die as a result? Nope. Did we really need all that coverage? And an impeachment trial? How much taxpayer money was wasted on that? Meanwhile, Bush severely harms our international relations and sends hundreds of our troops to their death in a war fought in part on lies, and some of the media is understandably upset about it, but a far cry from the hysteria Clinton got over a blowjob.

Which is worse, infidelity or sending American sons, daughters, wives and husbands into harm's way when it isn't necessary?

#51191 07/15/04 08:10 PM
old hand
old hand
whether it was necessary or not is pretty subjective. We seem to forget that this all started with a bunch of cowards flying planes into the WTC. I don't think there would have been a war without such an event hitting so close to home. People sign up for military sevice knowing full well that they may be sent into harms way. If they aren't willing to make this sacrifice then they they should have made that decision. Maybe there was misinformation regarding the WMD, the jury is still out. I personally think it's still there or across a border somewhere in a neighboring country. That aside, Saddam still needed to be taken out of power. Think of all of the people he's killed and oppressed while lving in many multi-million dollar mansions and supporting terrorists. Personally, I don't think the [censored] deserves a trial - a hollow-point 45 to the temple would be just fine. The US gets criticized no matter which position we take - if we help out a country's people we have alterior motives(i.e. oil) - if we don't then we get accused of staying away because there's no political gain from it. We've funneled more money into needy nations than any other country on Earth - and we're still the bad guy. We're thought of as obnoxious, wasteful bullies. I say we lock down the borders, close our wallet and let them fend for themselves. We'll see how long they last. I could go on for hours but I should actually try to get some work done today.

Pete

#51192 07/15/04 08:19 PM
local
local
Yes, he is a cousin. My dad used to hope he'd make the Supreme Court but I think the Special Prosecutor job ended that possibility. My impression is that Ken Starr was more interested in getting Clinton than on justice. One of my pet peeves is the politicization of the courts. It has always been that way but I don't have to like it.

Mark
#51193 07/15/04 08:21 PM
L
hobbyist
hobbyist
L
AdamP88 you are completely missing the point of the impeachment trials against Clinton. THE MAN LIED UNDER OATH. That is as offensive as treason, and for the man with the most power in a democratic system to do that makes a mockery of our entire system. by the way i'm replubican and i don't like bush that much, and i liked some of clinton's policies but not the one where you LIE UNDER OATH

#51194 07/15/04 08:24 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Gentlepersons,

Please, I beg you, leave it. Or at least take it to the OT:Politics thread.

I desperately want to continue enjoying the company of each of my Axiom brethren, and I implore you to spend your time feeding those passions which unite us, rather than divide us.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#51195 07/15/04 08:35 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I'm with Tom. Please, at the very least, take it to the political thread.

Jack

#51196 07/15/04 08:36 PM
old hand
old hand
Well said, Tom. Everyone have a beer adn enjoy the music.

Pete

#51197 07/15/04 08:47 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
tom is truly the voice of reason in trying times.. i swear man, you had to have had a former life as a counselor. i agree, a politics thread was started.. and i think it should be obvious, everyone needs to take off their "i may get offended caps" in that thread.. everyone is free to have their own beliefs, lets just not let it get personal..

fair??

bigjohn

#51198 07/15/04 08:49 PM
aficionado
aficionado
In reply to:

We seem to forget that this all started with a bunch of cowards flying planes into the WTC.

Which Saddam had absolutely nothing to do with. If that's the reason for invading Iraq, then we really should've been invading Saudi Arabia instead, as they've been a known funder for terrorists for years, as well as 15 of the 19 9/11 hijackers being Saudi Arabian. There has been absolutely no credible evidence that Saddam Hussein played any role whatsoever in the events of 9/11. The Bush Administration has hinted enough and put that thought out there enough that the general American population has come to believe it without any evidence to support it.

In reply to:

That aside, Saddam still needed to be taken out of power. Think of all of the people he's killed and oppressed while lving in many multi-million dollar mansions and supporting terrorists.

In terms of supporting terrorism, Pakistan and, once again, Saudi Arabia are FAR more guilty of it than Iraq ever has been, and yet for some weird reason Pakistan and Saudi Arabia are considered "allies" in this endeavor. Saudi Arabia even has public beheadings (something Iraq never had). So if we're going by cruel leadership, then once again, Saddam shouldn't be the prime target. And what about Rwanda (and countless other African nations). Those in power there were guilty of far greater crimes against humanity including true genocide, and yet we basically stood by and let it happen. So the whole 'we went in there because he was a bad man' excuse doesn't hold too well, either. Saddam was never the imminent threat the Bush administration made him out to be. In that sense the Bush administration and the "Coalition of the Willing" have utterly failed to provide evidence to the contrary. One would think that if you were dealing with an "imminent threat" you would be able to find some evidence of that threat rather quickly, let alone within a year of taking over.

#51199 07/15/04 08:52 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Oops. My apologies for continuing this - I didn't see Tom's post before replying.

Umm...as for movies/music, I'd say about a 90/10 split in favor of music.

#51200 07/15/04 08:54 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
all good points adam.. but with all respect, go make your points on the political thread..

just a request??

EDIT- sorry, you already read my mind(and post).. BTW- beautiful hawaii pics on your website.. really awesome, postcard quality!!

bigjohn

Last edited by bigjohn; 07/15/04 08:59 PM.

#51201 07/16/04 12:32 AM
buff
buff
Well's let's go off topic. My 13 year old cat Puddy is having good days and bad days. She stalked and hunted and pounced on something the other day which turned out to be a clump of leaves. Her eyesight and hearing are going. She has stalked, hunted and pounced on the same leaves three days in a row. Why can't we all just get along?

#51202 07/16/04 02:54 AM
Poor kitten... I'm not looking forward to when my cats start to get that way.

#51203 07/16/04 06:05 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Thanks John - I'm pretty pleased with the pics, too (though I wish I'd taken the camera out more for sunsets - pretty much every day's was breathtaking). Hawaii is a photographer's dream - and those shots are what really got me into photography as more than just a casual interest.

#51204 07/16/04 08:29 PM
And to think the whole time I thought it was the dog who inspired you.

#51205 07/16/04 11:55 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hey Adam
Professional opinion.
Nice shots.
Bray

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#51206 07/17/04 06:21 AM
aficionado
aficionado
In reply to:

And to think the whole time I thought it was the dog who inspired you.

If I lived in Hawaii I wouldn't spend much time shooting pictures of a dog.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters