Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Re: What's your Movie/Music Ratio?
#51125 07/01/04 10:34 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur

Even sympathetic critics said the latest film is not as good as his first and certainly wasn't deserving of the top prize in Cannes.

Last edited by BigWill; 07/01/04 10:38 PM.
#51126 07/01/04 10:59 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
I take it you're now one of those sympathetic critics?

I haven't seen it yet, but a good friend says he liked it better than BfC because Michael Moore isn't in front of the camera as much.

#51127 07/02/04 12:46 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Mine's probably 80/20 music/movies. I've noticed an increase of photos here recently, and I've gotta say I'm always fascinated to see what folks are doing and what their setups look like. Anyone else care to add some more? Here's what I've managed to do within the limitations of a fairly tiny apartment. Obviously, it would be better to bring the VP150 up to the same firing line as the M22s, but this is really the best compromise I've found so far.

M22s
EP175
VP150
QS4s
Marantz SR5200
Pioneer Elite DV45A
Sony CA70ES
Panasonic TV & VCR

M22ti mains, EP175 sub, VP150 center, QS4 surrounds
#51128 07/02/04 04:21 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I took out the bulk of my above statement regarding that fat bastard's motion picture after reading Ajax's complaints about the politicization of this forum.

#51129 07/02/04 05:48 AM
axiomite
axiomite
LOL! You did fine up until the "fat bastard" comment. That kinda gave you away.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#51130 07/02/04 02:22 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
i dont wanna take this conversation to the next level(cause it is politically based), but after seeing the 9/11 movie, i feel compelled to suggest that EVERYONE go see this movie. republicans, democrats, green party, independents, whatever you wanna call yourself.

does michael moore have an agenda?? of course!! doesnt everyone when dealing with politics.

but the info provided in this movie, regardless of its pro-democratic spin, is true, valid, and compelling. i think thats a lot of the core fears for republicans with seeing this movie. they dont wanna know, or choose to ignore the facts and issues that it raises. the movie definitely pointed out several things that i was unaware of. so unaware in fact, that i came home and researced some of the things from the movie, just to ensure it was true, and not propaganda. low and behold, it checked out, and thats kinda scary.

and on a completely non-political angle.. the movie is just well made.. i found myself totally engaged in the flow and timing of this film. i thought it was much better than 'bowling for columbine', and on the same level as 'roger and me'.

i think if you are prepared to have your eyes opened, and have what you think to be true challenged, then you should go see this movie. but, if you are a hardcore republican, then this movie will probably have no affect on you what so ever. its really all about one's state of mind. whether you choose to believe, or ignore the message, it still doesnt change the fact that it is all very interesting.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#51131 07/02/04 02:52 PM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
bj,
Thanks for the honest review! I had planed to wait till this one came out on DVD but your review has pumped my interest. I think I'll take an extra long lunch break and go see it today.

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
#51132 07/02/04 04:26 PM
devotee
devotee
Michael Moore on the fall of the Soviet Union:

"One evil empire down, one to go"

That's all I need to know.

Mark

"Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff"
#51133 07/02/04 04:37 PM
local
local
We saw the movie yesterday. Trying not to take this political I have this to say: Having read a fair bit of critism of the movie, I did not find the critism particularly warranted from either political pole. I found the movie to be a masterful work of propaganda. It is not meant to be objective and is not really a documentary.

What I found is that it primarily raises questions. At least that is how I took it. What it did for me was to remind me of many questions I have had that I had forgotten. It collapsed the time elapsed and reminded me of how many questions have not been satisfactorilly answered, it made me look at a pattern of unanswered questions. It makes me ask the big question of why is this?

I admire the skill to take a mass of both his own, and many other film clips, and put it all together in a way that compellingly holds your attention for two hours. It moves at a good pace and is quite entertaining.

I believe Michael Moore is sincere in his convictions. I don't think you have to agree with him to appreciate that he is pursueing his convictions with outstanding skill at getting people to look at issues. Even if you hate what he says you can ask yourself exactly why is that?

For me what Michael Moore does is demonstrate very grafficly what democracy and freedom are all about: The ability to speak out in full opposition and ask for answers. I think this is the core of the democratic process, as uncomfortable as it can be at times. It puts the burden where it belongs, on each one of us to to pay attention and find what is true for ourselves. My hat's off to bigjohn for going home and looking for his own answers and verification.

Mark
#51134 07/02/04 04:55 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I just want to applaud everyone's civility and reasoning.

I also want to especially thank bigwill and mhorgel for their witty concision.

So, is "what's your movie/music ratio?" the audio-net-geek equivalent of "do you come here often?"

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020