Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Must Sell:Mansfield Beech M50ti's,VP100,QS4's
#51910 07/14/04 03:47 AM
aficionado
aficionado
I'm sure someone that is a lot more knowledgeable about the Canuck system of health care will speak up, until then I'll do my best to appraise you of the situation. It's essentially a big disgrace. Hallway medicine is rampant (at least in Manitoba) and waiting lists are atrocius. I personally know of half a dozen people who have had to seek medical help in the US (out of pocket of course) because they couldn't get a simple procedure (such as an MRI) in time to potentially save their life. An older gentleman I know is down @ Mayo right now having a pacemaker and a defibrilator (sp) implanted because it would have taken approx a year and a half to have it done in Canada. Doc says he wouldn't have made it.

At least one political party in Canada wants to block the building of private health care clinics too (must think it's better that these people are forced to flee to the States to have life saving operations performed). And the political party that caused all this were voted in, again, less than a month ago. This all despite the fact that they were caught, red-handed, stealing/wasting billions of tax payer's money (enough that could have paid for all kinds of MRI machines).

Despite all my ranting, it's really not that bad of a system. The basic health care system works quite well. Unfortunately, it is too poorly funded to allow for desperately needed upgrades in the more intensive care areas.

I apologize if I offended anyone with the preceding rant. I was just very frustrated with the outcome of our recent elections (I'm sure you've long since figured with what party my heart lies as well). I'm also not usually one to enter a political debate (despite that I'm normally very political), I just feel more qualified to answer questions from the Canadian point of view.

Once again, sorry if I offended anyone.

"Chickens don't clap."
#51911 07/27/04 06:04 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
As a fellow Canuck I must say that I agree with sidvicious02. I sat and watched a good bud of mine wait for 14 months to get an MRI. That should tell you a lot about the Canadian health care system or lack there of.

It scares the hell out of me at times. I have 2 girls 5 and 6 and if something ever happens where either of them need health care, the thought of taking them to a hospital here..........makes me nervous. That is the god's truth.

#51912 07/27/04 06:24 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
14 months just for an MRI? That's very disappointing. Maybe I should re-evaluate my goals of getting hired by a certain Canadian speaker manufacturer....

#51913 07/27/04 05:02 PM
buff
buff
Suttercane,
Have not seen any recent posts from you as your wife's operation is around the corner. I hope the finances worked out at least to avoid the potential hardship you described. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife for a successful outcome. A fight with an insurance company is the last thing one needs when a loved ones health is involved. Recently situations similar to yours have become more commonplace unfortunately with the biggest insurance companies - many times avoiding ethical practices to enhance their financial gain. Based on personal experiences and many others going through similar situations, Aetna has become the biggest violator in this regard. This formerly US company was purchased last year and since has changed all procedures in regard to reimbursment of claims. Their standard procedure is to refuse all claims (even for standard care) assuming many people won't fight them, thereby giving them a financial windfall. I have spoken to numerous freinds, family members, and doctors who all have experienced the same. I didn't see what insurance company you were dealing with but curious as the past 12 months have become a nightmare for many of us. I am very surprised that these situations are allowed to take place - hopefully more consumers will raise the awareness on this issue and hold insurance companies (especially Aetna) responsible for their unethical actions.

#51914 07/27/04 05:07 PM
C
connoisseur
connoisseur
C
As an updates on Sutter's situation, The surgery is done, and she is fine, thankfully. And Sutter got a nice present from a relative, his Uncle has offered to help him replace his Axiom system... with a better Axiom system. Good news all around !!

#51915 07/27/04 06:16 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'm very glad she's OK

If anyone wants to watch a good movie and see what Canada's healthcare is like, watch Les Invasions Barbares.

#51916 07/28/04 11:51 AM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Shoot I'm sorry guys, I've just been under a lot of stress and haven't been making my rounds. Things are slowly starting to get better though.

As Craig mentioned, my wife had her operation this past Friday, the 23rd. Her surgery went ok. There were no problems or any complications. The tumor was removed and the doctor said she's going to make a full recovery and that she'll be fine. It's just going to take a little time is all. She was released from the hospital and was allowed to come home yesterday, Tuesday the 27th.

I consider myself a lucky man on many fronts. One, I was blessed by meeting and later marrying a truely remarkable and stong woman. She's been my rock now for going on 9 years and my world wouldn't be the same without her.

Two, I was futher blessed on November 15 2002, when my wife gave birth to our beautiful baby girl (Nicole Marie). Nothing changes a man like the birth of a child. She along with my wife is what my world revolves around. Home theater is squeezed in there somewhere too. lol

And third, yes, due to the circumstances that led me to having sell my speakers; My uncle has offered to repalce my Axioms for me. The bread was sent this past weekend and should be arriving today or tomorrow.

If I could offer any advice or if there's a lesson I've learned from all of this, it would be this:

Live each day as if it was your last, cause the truth is tomorrow is promised to nobody. Do your best to never forget where you come from, what you have, what you have lost, and everything you went through in the past. For it's all of these things that helped made you what you are today. In additon to all that, take the time, regardless of how busy you are, take the time to let your loved ones know how much you love them. Never take that nor them for granted.

Things are slowly getting better now, so you'll be seeing a lot more of me. Thank you all for your kindness, your support, and your friendship. It means more to me then what I can sit here and express in words. I greatly appreciate and treasure it all, the same way I do all of you.

Thank you, God bless, and I'll talk with you all real soon.

Sutter Cane

#51917 07/29/04 12:39 AM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Sutter. Excellent news on all fronts, my friend. Interesting how unimportant audio and the like becomes when something like this happens. I hope your bride's recovery is quick.

#51918 07/29/04 04:33 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
remarkable, glad things are looking up

#51919 07/29/04 04:14 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Great news Sutter, here's hoping to a speedy recovery for your wife!

"Chickens don't clap."
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020