Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: speaker cable makes a difference!
#52602 08/03/04 03:32 AM
aficionado
aficionado

I also know that this subject is taboo in most forums. To avoid a conflict I will point out a few facts and let everyone decide on their own, as this is just my observation.

Most industries such as telecom have standards in which a product has to meet or exceed a certain specification and or criteria. For Example, CAT 5 voice and data cable must meet minimum TIA/EIA and Belcore telecom standards before it can be certified as "CAT 5" and be sold for this purpose, the cable MUST perform to specification determined by TIA/EIA, Bisci and etc.

Now audio cable doesn't have regulations like telecom. So the people that sell their cable for $1000.00 per foot can say anything they want. They don't have to meet any specifications at all. All they have to worry about is that the cable can pass a voltage or signal.
Companies like Belden manufacture the majority of cable and then it’s re-packaged without Belden’s name. Most companies can’t afford to produce their own cable (except Monster and it’s made overseas). The tooling and overhead would be enormous. Why not have some third party companies produce the cable and put on a custom logo? Once the High Dollar or “ACME cable” company gets a hold of it they can freeze it, bury it, rub crystallized viper venom on it or whatever they want. It would be simple to do, why not start rumors on a forum (somewhere) about a new cable mfg that decided to send 120 Volt over a 49.5-hour period in a 100-degree room, as a result it “broke” in the cable and began the “molecular” alignment process, which produced the smoothest sound he had ever heard after many listening sessions. Most of us wouldn’t listen, there might be one or two that would buy this cable and repeat the whole process on another forum and so on. I have to admit most of that stuff is pretty and looks like it should perform the way it was marketed.

I would love to see real data comparing the majority of the cable out there. It would be interesting how similar a $14.00 cable would perform against a $500.00 one. I know this doesn’t apply in every case but it sure would be fun:)

The best bang for the buck in my opinion is Blue Jeans cable.

Anyone here have any thoughts on standards for audio cable?

Tom

M80's VP150 QS8's Earthquake SuperNova MKV-15
Integra DTR-7.4 Outlaw 755 Outlaw M200's Outlaw ICBM
#52603 08/03/04 03:57 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Zub, as Curtis said, forget about equal length. That's just another bit of audio nonsense that seems to float around(thankfully very little of it on this board). The signals travel along the wire at around 80% of the speed of light(which is about 186,000 miles per second)and the wires would have to differ in length by miles before there would be a significant difference in timing. A shorter difference would make one speaker louder than the other because of less power loss in the shorter wire, but this could be corrected simply by slightly increasing the level to the other speaker. The differences in length that could exist in home use don't even cause that problem.

As he says, Mr. Russell's table is based simply on not having the wire resistance exceed 5% of the speaker impedance, which works well in practice. It isn't meant to be a precise measure, which isn't necessary or even possible.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#52604 08/03/04 04:13 AM
I
veteran
veteran
I
Thanks to all for your tremendous help.

#52605 08/03/04 04:16 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

The best bang for the buck in my opinion is Blue Jeans cable

I agree! SignalCable is not to far behind either!

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (tiwee), 369 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup