Page 14 of 172 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 171 172
Re: OT: politics
#52739 07/23/04 06:50 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Loose association/generalizations-
#1:
"CAUSE WE ARE IN A WAR!!

that is the ONLY reason the economy gives the impression of being "on the upswing""

To prove that increased gov't spending regarding war costs is the only factor in the economic upswing would take many pages of argument - and would actually be impossible because it is simply not the only factor involved in the rebounding economy.

#2:
"economy always booms during war cause the republicans are padding their big business buddies pockets."

Most people seem to agree that wartime production increases result in a temporarily increased GNP, but the same effect could be achieved through investments in infrastructure or (gulp) increases in entitlement programs.
And I really, really believe that neither Bush nor any other high level elected official from either party would send American boys to their deaths to enrich their buddies. Profits could be increased for defense contractors by simply increasing military spending and stockpiling the stuff. No need to kill anybody.
Also, it's wrong to label the Republicans as the "war party". At other times the Democrats have been labeled the "war party" - Vietnam, WWII, etc...

#3:
"i dont see george w making the US the most hated country in the world, as a fair trade off to getting a low interest rate on my used truck loan."

We have been disliked for a long time. Many factors play into that. We have long been seen as culturally inferior to the European and Arab nations (in their eyes). Our success must make that even harder to bear.
Bush hasn't single handedly made us into the most hated country in the world, and I don't even think we are the most hated country in the world, but even if we are, who cares? Don't you guys all hate the Lakers and Yankees because they're always winning? Losers love to hate the winners.
And what in ternation does int'l opinion have to do with your truck loan?

#4:
"i am buying, so are a lot of us, but it still doesnt warrant an unjust war."

Not really a loose association, you're just implying that there is an increase in consumer confidence during a war. I've never heard that argued before.

I wasn't even going to post in this thread today, bigjohn!

#52740 07/23/04 06:54 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Great words there BigWill

#52741 07/23/04 07:08 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

Slap someone in teh face with good news and they still don't beleive it

see, i could do the same to you with bad news, and you will still choose not to believe it.. ok, here we go..

our president is sending young americans to die in a war based on lies, and half truths.

george w makes everyone smile with his cash in hand tax break.. meanwhile, he hides the fact that the whole tax bill is to benefit the wealthy upper class, which only make up about 7% of the american population.

now, do you "believe" that slap??

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#52742 07/23/04 07:36 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

I wasn't even going to post in this thread today, bigjohn

now bigwill.. you know that wasnt going to happen.. just like a republican, always in denial of the inevitable truth.

btw- i think i will stay away from this thread til next week.. there will be plenty more to say then..

ps- stay away from boston at all costs.. from what i have read, they are turning that town upside down.. and it will be worse in new york for the republican convention..

and lets all hope for one thing.. i dont want to be up til 5am on this years election night like i was on the last one 4 years ago.. for whoever wins, lets just hope it is decesive and uncontested! i dont think i could handle another flip-flop..

bigjohn

#52743 07/23/04 07:38 PM
ringmir Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
In reply to:

ps- stay away from boston at all costs.. from what i have read, they are turning that town upside down

Unfortunately I live there. And yes, it will be mayhem.

[black]-"The further we go and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."[/black]
#52744 07/23/04 07:45 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'm not trying to be facetious, or funny, or argumentative, bigjohn, but have you read Marx?

Here's a link to a very quick synopsis of the Communist Manifesto:

http://www.indepthinfo.com/communist-manifesto/synopsis.shtml

The Communist Manifesto itself is pretty easy reading as political philosophy goes. It leaves out all of the historical and philosophical rationale of Marx's other works and just presents the communist agenda as concisely as they could.

To analyze everything in terms of class conflict, rich vs. poor, IS Marxist philosophy.

To a great extent, it has permeated modern American thinking, affecting peoples' notions of what is "fair" and "unfair". I don't think most of us know it, though. I hear Marx in Disney movies, from Dan Rather, the local news, sitcoms, editorials, letters to the editor, etc... every day.

#52745 07/23/04 08:02 PM
aficionado
aficionado
ok....at the risk of taking sides or getting caught up in the politics thread (which is the most civil political discussion I have ever seen, kudos to all), I just want to wage in with one point.

Everyone says Saddam wasn't a threat to the US or the rest of the world. But my question is, what about his own people? No one ever really talks about what he did in that country and that to me, is the real crime. He butchered 1,000,000 of his own people for crying out loud - and people have the gall to say he didn't deserve to be removed!?! That makes me want to jump up and slap the person. It's a shame he wasn't removed earlier (and no need to repeat that Saddam was installed by the US - that's not the point).

I have travelled in Cambodia, walked through the killing fields and toured S-21. I've seen the emotional carnage that was brought to those people - the look of horror on their faces when you say the name Pol Pot. Saddam Hussein will undoubtedly leave similar physical and emotional scars on the Iraqi people that will take generations to heal.

For anyone that said the Iraq war was unjustified, I ask you, how many people does a dictator have to slaughter for it to become justified? Ten thousand? One Hundred thousand? Five Hundred thousand? A million? My god, Clinton went into to Yugoslavia to remove Slobodan and everyone thought he was a hero. Last tally I heard was Milosovic killed less than 1/4 the number of people Saddam did. Forgive my passion, but what the hell is wrong with this picture????????

"Chickens don't clap."
#52746 07/23/04 09:19 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

now, do you "believe" that slap??

Well no actually, because there is no proof of that.

There is proof the economy is on the rebound, stock market is up, jobs ARE being created. All the while inflation is low. Remarkable, its a shame you can't see that.

#52747 07/23/04 09:28 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
In reply to:

what the hell is wrong with this picture????????

I'll tell you exactly what's wrong with it.

The majority of the killing was done with weapons sold to Saddam by none other than the good 'ol U.S.A. That makes our gov't an enabler to the massacres. Nice foreign policy, eh?

Sure, he deserved to be taken out. Why did we prop him up to begin with?

#52748 07/23/04 09:34 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

There is proof the economy is on the rebound, stock market is up, jobs ARE being created. All the while inflation is low. Remarkable, its a shame you can't see that

i can see that just fine inane.. but all that is true, due to the war.. the war based on lies and half truths..

what we have here is, failure to communicate!!

my head is hurting from us banging them together

bigjohn

Page 14 of 172 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 171 172

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616