Rate Thread
Page 13 of 172 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 171 172
Re: OT: politics
#52729 07/23/04 02:28 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I hate posting 3 in a row, but WTF.

"I don't see many people saying the Revolutionary War was wrong..."

I had a political philosophy professor who was a communist (with a little "c" he would emphasize) that said the American Revolution was a war started by a bunch of farmers who didn't want to pay their taxes. Hilarious.

He was a great old guy, always saying the most outrageous things to try to wake up the morons filling the seats. He called me a "nasty reactionary bastard", but I could see the twinkle in his eye.

#52730 07/23/04 04:41 AM
devotee
devotee
Man, this thread keeps breathing....gotta love it. Figured I'd throw a couple things into the mix to stir things up:

1. Listened to the 9/11 news conference today. It's good to hear that they are taking the non-partisan tack. If they laid any blame, nothing would have come of their recommendations...assuming that something will happen now. It was actually surprising, since the actual hearings that I saw had an extreme partisan slant.....Kerry & Bienvenista (spelling?) were completely rude. It's wasn't the actual questions, it was the utter disrespect that they showed in their tone. They had total wood at the prospect of tacking this thing on Bush, so much that they lost their objectivity. Perhaps they were humbled by the republicans on the committee that reminded them that their boy had 8 years to handle this problem, including the Sudan/Bin Laden offer, and Bush had 8 months. I didn't say that I was going to be non-partisan.

2. Kind of concerned that no one from the left seems to show any concern about the findings concerning Saddam's quest to obtain uranium. Do they not realize that uranium is the missing link keeping one of these nutcases from turning Manhattan into a pile of dust? I remember when I found out a while back that we had proof that the Syrians/Sudanese (one of them) were brokering a deal between China and Hussein to obtain long-range rocket fuel. This is not the stuff that they fuel the SCUDs with. This is the grade of fuel that they pump into ICBMs. I brought this up in an argument/discussion and it didn't seem to sink in. Saddam was attempting to acquire fuel for weapons meant to traverse continents, not countries. Is there any confusion about what exactly he wanted this for? But, Hussein wasn't an imminent threat....or was he? Perhaps his threat was his willingness to sell his weapons to the terrorists. Perhaps he already sold some of those weapons to the terrorists. But, that shouldn't be a problem, since Hussein wasn't an imminent threat.

3. How about that story about 3 nucs being found in Iraq? For a minute, I was so pumped....before, they printed that it was a bogus story leaked by a local arab newspaper. Oh well.

4. I guess no one wants to bite on the Berger issue that I referenced last night. It's getting even tastier w/ reports that he asked the monitors that oversee people viewing these classified docs to step away so he could make personal calls (clearly against their policies). Those same monitors noted that he took an inordinate amount of trips to the restroom. They are also stating that they actually saw him stuffing the papers into his pants. But wait, this was just sloppiness on his part, right? The Dems, including Clinton, keep deflecting the issue by talking about "the curious timing". That way, they don't admit that he breached high level security protocols, which should land him behind bars. That tactic should sound familiar to Clinton. Rather than ever admit that he broke the law, he spent the entire time clamouring about the vast right wing conspiracy. Perhaps they did circle the wagons when they smelled blood, but Clinton was the one who drew that blood....or was that cigar residue?

OK, it's late and I'm done bantering.

#52731 07/23/04 11:57 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
i think one other interesting aspect to the 9/11 hearings, are the fact that they are being released 4 days before the democratic national convention. now some may see that as a boost for kerry, but i dont, and heres why.

in every poll i have seen, the american public sees bush as the better candidate to run the country during a war.. hence, he is a war president.. but, they see kerry as the better candidate at achieving financial stability, hence, an economic president. now, i am sure that was/is a major platform for the democrats to discuss during their convention next week.. but, with the 9/11 reports just being released.. now the thought of the war, and 9/11 in general, is back in the forefront of all americans minds.. its what everyone interested in politics is talking about. so, in my opinion, that will be a blow to the democratic party, cause if the majority of americans have 'war' on their minds, then it isnt a far stretch to think that they will have george w on their minds also..

this is an interesting angle that the democrats will have to be very careful about.. cause at their convention, they are gonna want to stress the things that they can do well for the country, and not the war, which most americans think the republicans will fair better at.

i am interested to see how the report will affect how, and what they say?

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#52732 07/23/04 05:14 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

but, they see kerry as the better candidate at achieving financial stability, hence, an economic president

I find that so laughable. I know your not saying its your view.. but really, look at teh economy, its definitely on the upswing.

If Kerry/Edwards are elected, this last little "recession" will look like a walk in the park...
The 2 things Kerry has already said he's going to do within the first 100 days of his presidency:

1) Increasing taxes will lead to decreased comsummer spending, which then leads to reduced corporate profits, which then leads to layoffs.

2) Doubling the minimum wage will result in rampant inflation, which leads to decreased comsummer spending, which then leads to reduced corporate profits, which then leads to layoffs

#52733 07/23/04 05:23 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

its definitely on the upswing.

yes it is.. CAUSE WE ARE IN A WAR!!

that is the ONLY reason the economy gives the impression of being "on the upswing".. economy always booms during war cause the republicans are padding their big business buddies pockets.

i dont see george w making the US the most hated country in the world, as a fair trade off to getting a low interest rate on my used truck loan. yea, i am buying, so are a lot of us, but it still doesnt warrant an unjust war.

bigjohn

#52734 07/23/04 05:50 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Wow, bigjohn! Lots of very loose associations there. I'd love to see you play connect the dots with those.

#52735 07/23/04 05:59 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
even more interesting, is gonna be watching the democrats try and play connect the dots next week..

and i am not sure which comment you think is a "loose association".. i have a tendency to ramble, so try and be specific.. i think i did no worse than the "what ifs", and "how would's" that i have seen on this thread.

i am sure the convention next week will give us PLENTY to talk about!

bigjohn

#52736 07/23/04 06:10 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
heeh nutshell, I couldnt DISagree more with above statement

Slap someone in teh face with good news and they still don't beleive it.

#52737 07/23/04 06:14 PM
aficionado
aficionado
my apologies for hi-jacking an official hi-jack thread....

here's a news ditty about Stephen Hawking's new theory on black holes. You were correct Peter, doesn't look like they are quite as destructive as once thought, but I wouldn't plan a sight-seeing tour any time soon.

"Chickens don't clap."
#52738 07/23/04 06:20 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
damn that totally ruin's some of the cooler episodes from Stargate SG-1

Page 13 of 172 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 171 172

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16