Print Thread
Rate Thread
Adding a port(to a non axiom speaker)
#5507 09/05/02 12:53 PM
freesey Offline OP
local
OP Offline
local
Although I probably would add a port to a axiom speaker if it wasnt I cant since I only own a center speaker
Anyways, if anyone has done this before and can give me a few pointers Id appreciate it, I have some old(maybe ugly) loudspeakers (non towers), with a nice 80 watt cambridge audio woofer and a 40 watt peerless tweeter (they use to be 40 watt soma, and 3 watt lol respectively) - I noticed that my mordaunt-short bookshelves I use for rears almost put out as much bass and I was thinking its cause of the rear port - I want to add a front port to the loudspeakers;id like to drill maybe an 80 or 92 MM hole in the part which has the scratches on it beside the tweeter - and I thought about using those ducts for my casemod in computers which direct airflow into fans better(Anyone lost me yet?) err here is a snapshot of the speaker
http://members.rogers.com/xlrate2000/loud.jpg

If anyone has a link to a good way to do this or any suggestions id preciate it

1xAxiom ax 1.2 2xPolk Audio R30 2xMordaunt-Short 3.0 H/K AVR 225 Paradigm PDR-10 Sub HTR MX-500
Re: Adding a port(to a non axiom speaker)
#5508 09/06/02 01:04 AM
veteran
veteran
freesey

Adding a port to a non ported design can drastically change a speakers characteristics. Both an acoustic suspension design (sealed enclosure) and a ported design have advantages and disadvantages. And greater efficiency is an advantage of the tuned port design (thus the greater bass output - for a given power input). I don't really know the brand of your old ugly speakers, (is that a Smirnoff crown on the dust cap?) but if they are of a reasonably good design and manufacture, then you could really mess up the sound with a port. If you just want to experiment and it doesnt matter if you mess them up.. well then......

I suggest you search the 'net a bit and read up on some basics of speaker design and get some understanding for the different types that are built. (i.e. acoustic suspension, ported, tuned port, passive radiator, etc.) - and understand the basic philosophy behind the design principals - THEN decide if you want to poke holes in the cabinets.

Good Luck.

Randyman

#5509 09/06/02 02:32 AM
freesey Offline OP
local
OP Offline
local
lol yep those cabinets are str8 out of the 80's but the drivers actually arent that old! I figure that since Ive already changed both the drivers it really couldnt make it any worse since the original woofer was half the power and the new tweeter is 40 watts compared to the previous 3 watt one lol Garbage! I dont really mind messing up the cabinets because as you can already see they are pretty damned ugly; and I could probably build a better pair with some nice >real< wood lol; thanks for the tips, I think ill check out speakerbuilding.com they seem to have a lot of info

1xAxiom ax 1.2 2xPolk Audio R30 2xMordaunt-Short 3.0 H/K AVR 225 Paradigm PDR-10 Sub HTR MX-500
#5510 09/07/02 10:30 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Based on the fact you have altered the drivers, you may have already changed the design intentions....if there ever were any. This would depend on the mfg'ers point of view.

Adding a port depends on whether you could live with them if it really changed the sound...as in horrible.

BTW, the 3 watt driver you replaced, may have in fact been suffcient, depending on the crossover design. Tweeters do not necessarily have to handle large power amounts...if my memory serves.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044