Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Epic 80 or Epic 60 system???
#55381 07/24/04 03:46 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I had the 80's and in my room, the term nightmare comes to mind as far as placement went. I could have lived with just fussy! Every person who I have met face to face that has owned these speakers have all reported the same problem. I sold my 80's to my brother in-law many weeks ago and I kid you not, he is still playing with the location of these speakers. This is not a bad thing towards the speaker, just something that one should consider when buying. If we could all have this speaker 4 feet from the back wall I doubt this topic would come up near as much.

#55382 07/24/04 12:04 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
Neverhappy,What type of problems did you have as far as placement goes with the 80s?I have mine 18 inches from the back wall and 3 feet from the side walls.The baffle is about 6 inches farther out than the entertainment center. They are toed in just slightly.I sit about 13 feet back at the listening position.They sound great in this position.I'm not trying to be a smarta$$ here I would really like to know.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

#55383 07/24/04 06:36 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
Well I just had a bit of a chat with Joe at Axiom about this subject.What he said is the M80s are no more difficult to place than the M60's.He said he has put together about 200 sets for differant people and only about 4 gave him any trouble. So if what he said is so(I have no reason to doubt him)it is a fallacy to state otherwise,and he agree's.When told that others have said when buying their speakers that a rep from Axiom had said the 80s were a hard speaker to place and the 60s are much more foregiving it seemed to take him by supprise and he said that is just not so.I also asked if they sound the same and he said at lower levels they are close but with slight differances but when you really push them the 80s simply are a better speaker.When asked why Alan says he had trouble with them Joe told me Alan has a set in a very small room,the problem is not the speaker but the room.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

#55384 07/24/04 07:32 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Main problem was the wife factor. I had them moved out from the wall to varying degrees and the further I went out the better they sounded and the more pissed my wife got! A lot of it had to do with that but on the other side of the coin, my Studio 100's sat in the same spot from day one and never needed a ton of room behind them.

#55385 07/24/04 07:38 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
wid, so I'm full of it is what you and Joe are saying? Funny how Allen has even posted in these forums that the 80's and 60's can be subject to how they are placed but yet I guess we are all just wanna be audio geeks who don't know what it is we hear. I have no desire to get into some form of debate over this but you and Joe are dead wrong on this one. For Joe to come out and say that anybody who states that the 80's or 60's are hard to place, goes against many posts by a ton of Axiom customers in these forums.

Does Joe understand by making a statement of that nature he is telling a lot of people who own these speakers that they don't know crap? So I guess room acoustics are no problem with the 80's and 60's? I can just drop a set anywhere and they should sound great just like that................please gimme a break. It's the easy way out to just blame the room and and not the speaker.

#55386 07/24/04 07:55 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
I do have mine out away and away from the side walls.I'm lucky the wife is pretty foregiving as far as my audio stuff is concerned.So are you saying the nightmere you speak of was not the speaker alone.You see my point is when people read the bad things about the M80's there is usually more to it than just placement and people are afraid to give them a try when in fact they are a great sounding speaker.Like your first post,take that by itself and you would think its solely the fault of the speaker.I have not seen or read about any speaker that you can just simply plop down and they sound their best.No matter what speaker you buy you have to set them up in the proper position,and thats my point.

Neverappy,I am NOT saying that at all, as you read above there is no speaker that the room does not affect.All I am saying is one is no more difficult than the other.

Last edited by wid; 07/24/04 08:04 PM.

Rick

#55387 07/24/04 08:15 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
wid, I hear ya. I got a little hyper there for a moment. I have been very vocal on the 80's. I have said good things and to be honest I have said some bad. I had problems with placing these. Some had to do with the wife, some with the room and some with the speaker itself. I just don't think it's fair for the folks at Axiom to say that any statements about placement are a fallacy. That is just plain wrong. There are without a doubt 2 things these speakers to me are guilty of. The first is the brightness or in your face of the 80's and they can be moody with placement. It drives me nuts when I see people post that the 80's are not bright but yet you can get parts direct from Axiom to tone down the tweeter.

Anyway, sorry again if I came across a little strong there but the comments you made about what Joe said got me going......I'm going to leave his comments on the 80's are a better speaker then the 60's alone to as this will get me going all over again as from what I can tell on paper, there is not a big enough difference to justify that statement.! lol

#55388 07/24/04 08:37 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
Its all good.I myself like the detailed sound of the 80'(I geuss thats obvious).I know not all people will enjoy these speakers as I do.I see you have gone for the M50's and I'm sure they sound great.Thats the thing about speakers not everyone hears them in the same way.You see its not that you can't have difficulty placing them its that one is no easier than the other.Thats what I said the fallacy was.

Rick

#55389 07/25/04 01:15 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
wid, if what was told to you, is true, which im sure it is. that kind of pisses me off, cause i could have gone with the 80's...that is what i was originally going to go with.... oh well.. i have an 8" sub in addition to my 12, so i have no lack in mid bass at all..

#55390 07/25/04 01:45 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
Dakkon,I'm sure the system,epic 60,you have is a truley GREAT sounding system.I also would think the 60's alone are not lacking in the bass, mid bass region.The only reason I continued to post in this thread was to put to rest that the 80's are a more difficult speaker to place than the 60's.I was never saying that either cannot be hard given the right(wrong)room.Like I said earlier ANY speaker can give one problems if not positioned correctly.This was not a slam on the 60's at all,I sure they sound fantastic.

Rick

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 740 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup