Print Thread
Rate Thread
Need Opinions on Room and Speaker Setup
#55901 07/28/04 12:33 AM
UMDterp Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Below is a layout of the room along with the speakers I am looking into marked by the 'X' . Any opinions on the setup? Any suggestions for improvement? Speaker choice is sound? I think I prefer having direct rear speakers rather than bi-poles (or quadpoles in this case) for the rear and then using QS8's for the surrounds. Any opinions on this?

Thanks!

Re: Need Opinions on Room and Speaker Setup
#55902 07/28/04 03:24 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I like the set-up you have laid out.....but I have two concerns. The first is with the QS8's. If I see it right your listening position will force the QS8's to be at different distances from you. Would that be correct? Second is the spacing on the 60's. Is there anyway you can have them at an equal distance on either side of the TV?

Is this mainly a HT set-up or do you listen to a lot of music? I'm also still thinking on your sub. Is it behind the M60? You may get a lot of "BOOM" with it. Any chance of bringing the TV out on an angle and say having it more or less face the fireplace?

#55903 07/28/04 03:29 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Terp, welcome. The positioning looks good, although the sub might well be best directly in the corner. As far as speaker choice, in that size room I'd think that M2s for rear surrounds and QS4s for side surrounds would be fine. As I often suggest, you could also consider a vertical M2 for the center speaker.

Last edited by JohnK; 07/28/04 03:32 AM.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#55904 07/28/04 10:34 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Terp, as long as you use a proper calibration cd for setup, you will be fine. The only issue will be watching movies with more than a couple of people. The left QS8 (by the fireplace) will be calibrated louder to compensate for it's distance from the "main" sofa. Things from this position should sound pretty good.

Watching a movie from the second sofa (with that QS8 directly overhead) will be aweful.

Shawn

Epic 80/600 + M3's + M3 Algonquins + M2 Computer + EP125
I think I'm developing an addiction.
#55905 07/28/04 11:44 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
agreed, the sofa on the right by the fireplace, will most likely be the worst seat in the house. also, you would be just fine with dropping to the M2's or M3's for rears..

you will most likely have to play with the sub placement a little(everyone does), but looks like you are pretty much headed in the right direction.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#55906 07/28/04 02:25 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I agree with what has been said above. But I would move the M22/M2/M3 speakers closer together in the rear, to get them off of the same axis as the left (in the picture) QS8. I like that the QS8s will be in front of the listening position on the couch, but think that moving the left M22 into the center just a few feet more will make the rear surround soudn actually come from the rear, rather than the back left (where you may expect a normal 5.1 surround to go.

#55907 07/28/04 04:14 PM
UMDterp Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Wow... Thanks so much for all the great suggestions. The M60's in the pic probably aren't spaced equally apart, but there is no problem in doing so. The setup will be used for 60% HT and 40% music. I know the sub location is probably something that will need a lot of experimentation. That is perfectly fine.

What speakers will be the best tonal match for the M60? The M2i or the M3s? The M22s are probably overkill for the rear, so stepping down to a smaller speaker is no problem. They can be placed closer as well. The QS8 on the right wall by the sofa will have to be EQ'd a little higher than the rest. To make that seat a little more appealing, I think I can pull it in slightly closer to the center of the room towards the sweet spot.

Another concern of mine is the M60 placement from the wall. I think I can get 4"-5" of space behind the right M60... is that enough space for the ported rear to work well? The other on will not have an issue with that.

I had not thought of moving the TV parallel to the fireplace. It can be done. How would the seating and speaker placement go then? I think I will try to come up with a diagram of that as well to see. Thanks so much for all the great suggestions... As you can see I am starting from scratch here. The only thing that is set is the amount of furniture in the room... everything else is wide open including placement...

#55908 07/28/04 07:58 PM
veteran
veteran
Hello UMDterp,

Hope you are well. The M2i's are a tonal match to the M60's they use the same 5.25" driver that the M60's use as the midrange speaker.

Later,

TonyM

#55909 07/28/04 08:10 PM
UMDterp Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
So I guess it is settled then... I will get the M2is as the rears. I just need to wrap up fixing up my car before I buy this stuff. I just did the brakes this weekend and new tires will be here next week. Once that stuff is taken care of, I can focus on buying some HT gear

#55910 07/29/04 12:07 AM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Welcome Terp. I also agree that the M2s are your best bet for the rears. Consider a search on the forum as Alan has discussed the placement of the rears in some detail. Along with John, I'd also offer the opinion that sub is best in a corner. However, based on the alcove-like configuration you have where the sub will be placed, you may want to experiment with another corner as well. I'd also urge you to acquire an Avia disk anda Radio Shack SPL meter for calibration. Those tools will become your very good friends based on the room configuration and maximize your audio experience.

ray

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters