Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Welcome me to the Family--- oh I got questions!!!
#56168 08/01/04 07:22 AM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Hey I just ordered a set of 3ti to start and will add the rremaining speakers next month.

My intnetion is to drop these in the back and add the 22ti pair up front. A VP100 center..and for now keep my JBL sub..it reallky hits hard.

Ok so if this setup seeems acceptable

I have 2 questions: what difference will there be usin ght M3ti in the rear as opposed to the QS4 ? I have one main reason why i went this way, and if I am wrong please advies. Our couch is flush to the wall, there is no wall on either side of the couch. So the intention was to siply put the 3ti s on stands and set them at either side of the couch aimed at the center (each other) is this valid or good, or not so good? Or again would the QS4 do something different?

Also, it looks like we will get a Yamaha 2400 reciever. It doesn't have BASS out (sub) on 2 channel out.

now I assume with 22ti s as "MAINs" I will miss quite a lot 60ish and less without the sub.

Is this true? and if so how can it be overcome? Add towers in front with much lower response? if this is the case then just ignore the 22Ti s?

I know this is a lot of questions, but I am nw to the Axiom family and not an expert by any means.

ANy and all help will be appriciated

thanks in advance

dave

"There is one thing that I know for sure, and that is that I know nothing." ...Socrates
Re: Welcome me to the Family--- oh I got questions!!!
#56169 08/02/04 01:06 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Welcome, Dave. Although the M3 is a very fine speaker, I wouldn't proceed as you're planning to do. Placing M3s on stands to the side is adequate, but the broader dispersion of the QS4s is an advantage for most types of surround material(not on DVD-As/SACDs if a performer is specifically placed in a surround channel). The QS4s could be mounted on the back wall and widely separated, almost to where a side wall would have been.

The 2400 is an excellent choice, and certainly does allow use of the sub with 2-channel material. Unless a mode which bypasses bass processing is selected you set the M22s small, SWFR, and crossover to it preferably at 80Hz; no bass is lost. Incidentally, my M22s give usable response down to 40Hz with room reinforcement. The specs are measured under anechoic conditions.

As I frequently do, I'll also suggest that you consider a vertical M2 for the center speaker, which I prefer to a horizontal configuration because of better horizontal dispersion.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Re: Welcome me to the Family--- oh I got questions
#56170 08/02/04 02:47 AM
veteran
veteran
Hello Virtualexister,

Hope you are well. I would recommend that you change from the M3Ti to the M2i for the rear surrounds. The M3Ti uses a 6.5" woofer as opposed to the M2i which uses the same 5.25" woofer as the M22Tis that you are purchasing. Using the M2i's will create a perfect sonic match to your mains, where as the M3Ti's sound much different than the M22Ti's.

As far as low end bass, use your receiver and set your M22Ti's to small with a crossover of 80Hz to your subwoofer.

One question, how close will the rear surround stands be to the ends of the couch? If they are very close I would recommend the QS8s on stands to diffuse the rear soundstage, you don't want a direct firing speaker right in your ear.

Later,

TonyM

Re: Welcome me to the Family--- oh I got questions
#56171 08/02/04 03:13 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
You have to love this place. 2 posts and I think both of you are right on the money! I like the idea of M2's vs M3's if in fact 22's are the mains. I also like the idea of using a M2 or M3 for that matter as a center.

Tony
#56172 08/02/04 03:30 AM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
thats true

unfortunatley the speaks ON STANDS will be right next to the ends of the couch

with the QS8s what do you do? just aim them at each other, thus spreading the sound?

I sens it will sound odd a litt, since some will reflect right off the wall and some will flow forward and away.

true?

"There is one thing that I know for sure, and that is that I know nothing." ...Socrates
Re: Tony
#56173 08/02/04 05:15 AM
veteran
veteran
Hello Virtualexister,

Hope you are well.

With your situation, it sounds like wall mounting QS8s behind the couch is your best option, as JohnK advised. Just space them about 6 feet out from either end of the couch about midway between the ceiling and your head while seated. Your stands are much too close to the listeners, if you go the stand route.

Later,

TonyM

Re: Welcome me to the Family--- oh I got questions!!!
#56174 08/02/04 05:54 AM
connoisseur
Online Content
connoisseur
My current big HT system uses a pair of M60 like speakers up front, a heavily modified Merak (Axiom made) center channel (2 x 6.5" Axiom aluminum drivers and 3/4" Merak titanium tweeter) QS8 side surrounds and a pair of M2e back surrounds (SVS 20-39 and Velodyne CHT10 subs). I followed the general consensus that the M2s are excellent in the rear and swapped out a pair of Mission 77DS surround speakers for the M2e's. The 77ds are 90 db sensitive bipoles and are very musical.

I listen to SACD, DVD, CD and digital cable music. I think the set up with the Mission surround speakers in the back was better than the M2s at least in my room. For Home theater, I think the way to go is to use surround speakers in the side and back positions for 6.x or 7.x.

The bipole Missions integrated better with the subs than the M2e's do. Now, I think the M2s are excellent speakers. But, I prefer the M3Tis.

I never used my M3s in a HT system, I only used them in a 2 channel tube stereo system (2.1 with various subs). I did use a pair of M50s up front for a while. Nevertheless, I think the M3s would make an excellent front speaker pair for an HT system. If I were to build a 7.1 system around the M3Tis, I would get QS8S for the side and back surround positions. If you could find some Mission 77ds surrounds for cheap, I'd try them, they are also a very special speaker.

Here's one of the modified Meraks with the 3/4" tweeter and supertweeter.

Here's a picture of the second Merak I upgraded, this one with a big horn tweeter. In all immodesty, these are the best center channel speakers I've ever heard.

Last edited by 2x6spds; 08/02/04 06:00 AM.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#56175 08/02/04 06:18 AM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
So if I go on the wall with the Qs

I will sit essentiall underneath them

is this how they are designed? vs if they were on stands?

If they can disperse while we sit under them...then PERFECT.

I say this beacuse the couch is about as wide as the wall (the wall is the back of the kitchen wall) so it is sort of misplaced in the design sense.

So the speakers woul rouhly be above either the left or right side of the couch, what I can control is the height, just not the witdth or depth.

does thi smake sense?
if so...is height adjustment enough with tthe Qs on the wall?

I hope so!!!!!!

thanks agan man

dave

#56176 08/02/04 06:24 AM
connoisseur
Online Content
connoisseur
My QS8s are pretty much level with my couch. The M2e's are above the head of my queen size bed (outboard). When I'm in bed listening to music is when I notice the difference between the M2s and the bipole Mission surrounds in the back position. The superiority of the Mission 77ds in the back surround position was most noticeable when I was in bed as opposed to sitting on the couch.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#56177 08/02/04 06:33 AM
veteran
veteran
Hello Virtualexister,

Hope you are well. Quoting from the Axiom fact page;

"Axiom's Quadpolar surrounds are especially versatile and can yield excellent performance with stand or wall-mounting to the rear as well as at side locations."

Hope that helps,

TonyM

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020