Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Diagram on line?
#56188 08/02/04 12:51 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I said "I'm not sure about that one." That only counts a half a memory let down.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Re: Diagram on line?
#56189 08/02/04 02:52 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Jack,

You are correct, sir...I use M22's on 31" stands as surrounds in a 5.1 setup. They are to the sides of the prime seating area near the back corners of the room. They sound absolutely awesome! Master and Commander's walking on deck sounds just like that...you are below deck and someone is walking overhead!

I personally believe the only speakers that could better them would be the QS8's and the main reason I am using the M22's is because I am in a rent house...no more additional holes in the walls...

Virtualexister,

Here are some images for examples sake. I will probably (after getting another receiver that will handle it) purchase a set of QS8's for surrounds and leave the M22's as rears.

I hope this helped to confuse you even more...

I think you cannot go wrong with either solution...

WhatFurrer

"Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup..."
Re: thanks again Jack
#56190 08/03/04 03:38 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Let me chime in real quick about 7.1

I have just set up my HT this weekend (we finally got moved and I finally got to unpack my system -after waiting 16 weeks!). I wired up my deal-e-o for 7.1, using M60, VP100 and QS8, and two cheapo surround backs. I sit against the back wall in my living room. I mounted one Q to the left on a wall abotu 2 feet in front of me, 6.5 feet up. The right surround is on the back wall, about the same distance away from the seating area as the left speaker. The two rears are in between the surrounds on the back wall, firing up (so as to avoid being blasted by sound firing right into the back of my head - they reflect off of the ceiling this way too).

Here are my impressions from my far from perfect 7.1 set-up. With the QS8s, 5.1 is about as enveloping as I could want or ever need. Also - 6.1 DTS discrete soundtracks (like the LOTR:EE discs) sound good, but the jump up from 5.1 to 6.1 in that instance is pretty minor. Using the Dolby Pro Logic IIx, 5.1 sounds really great! There is lots of activity coming from the surroudn backs - but not so much as to soudn gimicky or fake. I have my system set up to run IIx all the time when watching 5.1 and 2 channel content. I haev yet to decide whether I will switch to DTS + IIx for 6.1 content.

Anyway - bottom line is this...with the QS8's, I wouldn't feel like I was missing anything if I lacked the 6th and 7th channels. But, I do find it fun to have 7.1 in my room, if nothing more than to stroke my male ego....

Go with the 7.1 - nobody will be able to convince you otherwise. If it doesn't work out, you can always send the speakers back or use them in a second room.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
2 members (rrlev, Kodiak), 360 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup