Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: OT: LAPD to ban big metal flashlights
#56514 08/06/04 05:47 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Hehe. I'm having a flashback to my childhood in small town Iowa!

jr

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." C Hitchens
#56515 08/06/04 05:56 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
i just saw some show the other night talkin bout how bad the meth prob is out in rural america.. iowa, ohio, indiana, illinois, n & s dakota, nebraska, and wisconsin..

weird.. ya normally just think of farming and religion when i think about that part of the country.. never figured meth to be a prob out there..

oh yea, and i just watched some dvd on a band called slipknot.. real heavy, thrash kinda metal music.. i kinda liked it.. anyway, some one told me they were from iowa also?? a bunch of freaky dudes!!

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#56516 08/06/04 06:29 PM
aficionado
aficionado
you gotter' BigJohn, they're from Iowa. The most amazing thing about them is that 2 of the members of Slipknot did some fantastic work with a band called Stone Sour (both before and after Slipknot made it big). Check out the song Bother - has a great early-grunge/ballad sound to it.

"Chickens don't clap."
#56517 08/06/04 06:34 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
sid- thanks for the stone sour bite.. i will go check them out..

i cant say that i liked everything that i heard from slipknot, some it was just too fast and aggressive for me.. but as a whole, i thought it was pretty good, in a different kind of way.

i cant say i am into the whole dark, creepshow type image.. but hey, everyone thought KISS was freaky when they first came out also!!

bigjohn

#56518 08/06/04 06:56 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Stone Sour is certainly nothing like the freak-show that is Slipknot, that I can assure you. I actually seem to recall some big uproar, whether from fans or the band, when the 2 members were going to perform in Stone Sour without their masks on. Maybe I just imaginged that story too.

"Chickens don't clap."
#56519 08/06/04 07:52 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Damn hi-jackers!

The cops have a difficult job to do. Sometimes they get emotionally overwrought and there is the loyalty to each other which is both a problem and a plus, but by and large they are good people. The pieces of crap which they are shown beating certainly aren't.

The knee-jerk liberal reaction to identify with the criminal is lame. I taught school in the California Youth Authority for 5 years and have lots of first hand experience dealing with criminals, albeit in the 15-25 year old range. They don't need any help from us to make their jobs as criminals any easier or less painful.

#56520 08/06/04 08:07 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
agreed, i hate those hi-jackers also..

for real, i agree with what you are saying. it always seems that a whole police force is attacked because of the actions a of a few bad cops.. or maybe a few good cops, that just got caught up in the action. the TV, and paper is only gonna cover the story that they can make controversial.

if a cop does bad, you are gonna hear everything about him.. but you are hardly ever gonna hear about the cop who arrests drunk drivers, and gets guns off the streets, and helps kids avoid drugs, and solves crimes, and chases down burglers, etc.. you will never hear about that guy til he retires, then he might get a 4 sentence paragraph in the public news section of the paper?? where is the justice in that!!??

bigjohn

#56521 08/06/04 09:30 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
But BigWill,

Aren't the cops who are beating people up without a justifiable reason criminals in their own right?

I am not trying to associate with criminals. To the contrary, I think that cops need to use force and shoudl be authorized by law to do just that in appropraite circumstances. I also abhore the media that paints the whoel police force as corrupt or as racist or as abusers because of a couple of bad apples.

Instead of associating with criminals, try to associate with victims. What about the guy who is in fact innocent? (And I don't care how often this happens - just as long as it a single innocent person get beaten, this argument holds true). In relating to him, I think that if avoiding the unjustified abuse of innocents is stopped, deterred, reduced, anything - it is a good thing. If that means taking metal clubs that shine light from people's hands, then so be it. Their plastic ones will illuminate just as well as the metal ones.

Furthermore, I don't believe that this hampers, in any way, a police officers ability to subdue an offender who justifiably requires a beating. That's what tazers, billy clubs, pepper spary and bullets are for.

#56522 08/06/04 10:17 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Who cares about their damn flashlights? I'm sure the cops couldn't care less whether they carry Mag-Lites or rubberized Chinese flashlights. That whole thing is a shallow attempt to placate the black community.

"Aren't the cops who are beating people up without a justifiable reason criminals in their own right?"

It is obvious you haven't spent much time with hardcore criminals. To equate the career criminals with the cops who "lose it" after a high speed pursuit that endangers the lives of innocent bystanders is silly. You can argue that point if you like, but I know you know better.

#56523 08/07/04 12:36 AM
aficionado
aficionado
i think if they switch to plastic flashlights it would cost the taxpayers more money.a plastic one would not hold up as well when dishing out a beating,and to keep replacing them could get expensive

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 944 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup