Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Video killed the radio ??
#57120 08/11/04 03:24 AM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Same concept: but we all are generally aware of the internet killing the retail stores.

I myself closing an internet shop actually.

but here is the situation: we know prices are better on the internet...but we get SERVICE at the stores.

some go to the stores the order online.

whatever.

The reality SHOULD BE (as it was in my case) x cost period...known as the MAP. This is supposed to protect the integrity of the manufacturer and allow some balance on the retail vs. web.

one thing that came to light though..this MAP thing..is as many peole have pointed out essentially price fixing.

It is cool knowing that no one can sell a reciever for less than the other guy..but they do.

and we buy.

The other related issue is the warranty thing. If company will NOT warrant a product sold on the web for whatever reason...i still don't get it.

this assumes the products are HOT or seconds or ??

jsut some issues that spin in my head about electronics and the internet vs- the real world.

"There is one thing that I know for sure, and that is that I know nothing." ...Socrates
Re: Video killed the radio ??
#57121 08/11/04 03:45 AM
veteran
veteran
Hmmm...seems like a good opportunity to do some rambling.

I sometimes find that I get better service dealing with (primarily) internet-based businesses than I do with b&m retailers (although most of those have some sort of internet presence).

Example:
My experienc with Axiom vs. Tweeter (retailer here in the northeast) - night and day. Tweeter wasn't bad but I don't need a pinhead with a pocket protector talking down to me when I have questions - I don't find the environment there to be inviting at all..and they tried to push that Bose crap on me (no thanks). Dealing with Axiom, Outlaw, SVS, and Hsu was a far more pleasurable experience and they all have tried to go the extra mile when I asked for help.

Pricing is one of those things that's a real crap shoot. Sometimes b&m retailers do OK, and you can find plenty of internet resellers that have inflated prices. It always pays to shop around and I can do that much quicker on the internet.

Definitely don't like the MAP concept - manufacturer (mandated) advertised pricing, right? I much prefer a competitive market. Let the resellers decide what prices they will advertise, but require (by whom, I don't know) more truth in advertising. You should know upfront without having to dig through fine print and remembering to ask all the right questions whether a product carries a warranty or not. How that happens I have no idea - just my idealism at work.

Just my 2 cents.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters