Print Thread
Rate Thread
Comments on sacd
#57266 08/13/04 07:04 PM
JaimeG Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
I finally got time to setup my new denon 2200 last night as well as sit down and listen to some sadc that I bought. The first sacd that I played was Bucky Pizzarelli – Swing Live.
This is a live recording made on a small NY club. The recording was made specifically for sacd and the mix & mics were arranged in such a way that you feel like sitting on one of the table at the club, literally. My first impression was that the recording level is set to low. I find myself turning the volume quite high to be able to appreciate the instruments. As I was increasing the volume also was my amazement, I’ll try to explain…. One of the more notable improvements of SACD over 16bit/44.1 cds is its dynamic range, because of this; you need to increase the output on the amp to compensate for this amplitude.
I realized that on the first drum solo. The drummer changed from brushes to sticks. The difference in volume of a drum kit being played using brushes and stick is big, the solo sounded like I had a drummer in my living room, quite amazing.
Another cool thing of that recording is, like I mention before here, you feel as if you are sitting at the club. You can even discern some of the conversations people were having at the tables next to the mic. My wife's cat was running around like crazy looking for the people :P
I also played Eath,Wind & Fire, Live (SACD), incredible bass sound; man! that band is tight. I cannot wait to get a good SACd classical recording or dvda, that should be pretty impressive.

Jaime

The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail. --Lindborg
Re: Comments on sacd
#57267 08/13/04 08:12 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Would you recommend the EWF SACD? I'm lacking in multichannel discs (only have a few) and I like EWF.

#57268 08/13/04 09:28 PM
JaimeG Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
I'd heard only the first 2 songs of EWF, the sound is great, I do recommend it.
I don’t know if you’re a Beach Boys fan, I’m not, but their DVD-A Pet Sounds has some very interesting multi-channel mix. They also included some studio takes of ‘God only knows’, and other songs, very cool.

The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail. --Lindborg
#57269 08/14/04 03:05 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
another great sacd that has been mentioned on here a thouseand times(so sorry if i sound like a broken record), is pink floyds 'darkside of the moon'.. the mix on it is awesome, and the music really 'swirls' around your living room.

also, on dvd-a, the emerson, lake, and powells 'brain salad surgery' is a great sounding cd, but it can be a little overwhelming if you are not into their music.

enjoy..

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082