Print Thread
Rate Thread
Ahhhh.... Axioms!
#57293 08/13/04 08:56 PM
Ken.C Offline OP
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
shareholder in the making
I've been at home today, listening to music pretty casually. Just a few minutes ago, I took off the grills on the M50s. Seeing the drivers out of the corner of my eye was bit of a shock--part of me had forgotten that the speakers were even there! It doesn't sound like things are coming from things that are 10 ft apart... It's right in front of me!

God, I love these things.

Earlier, I had to (here we are again) check to make sure that the QS4s weren't on...

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Re: Ahhhh.... Axioms!
#57294 08/14/04 03:31 AM
frequent flier
frequent flier
On the first day the m80ti’s came I had my wife pick out 2 songs she liked on cd. I played them on my “old” speakers first. Than I hooked up the m80’s. Now, with no adjustments, I played the same 2 tracks. I asked her “how does it sound with just the 2 speakers?” She said, “You only have 2 speakers on”. She thought I had it in a surround mode. The axioms, with no tweaking, has such a soundstage that she thought I had more than 2 speakers on!!. That was 1 week ago. Now that I have the receiver “dialed in” it sounds even better.
Enjoy

There is no spoon.
#57295 08/14/04 03:20 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
i have people do the same thing all the time.. i will play something in 2.1(with sub), and they will walk up and see if the center channel is on. then they kinda walk side to side, to see how far out the soundstage will reach.. its kinda funny seeing people 'experience' good music for the first time.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#57296 08/15/04 04:41 PM
devotee
devotee
Someone pointed me to a Guy Kuo post one day that I can't find the link to right now. (I will post it as soon as I do find it) There is a really cool "trick" to use with your SPL meter and the Avia main speaker left/right phase test to help you locate where the sweet spot in your setup is. You might not even be sitting IN the sweet spot now. For all you know, you may have NEVER actually sat in the sweet spot of your own speaker setup. Do you know for certain where yours is? I can tell you where mine is, 91 inches from the left wall of my room.

Basically, set your SPL meter to fast response, play the L/R phase test (Avia - Main Speaker Setup), and slowly move your meter left and right of where you think the center of the image is. When you hit the sweet spot, the needle will sit at the normal SPL reading during the in phase portion of the test, and will deflect backwards 3 to 4 dB during the out of phase portion of the test. This deflection will be a very quick, very deliberate, backward needle swing. If your meter is set to slow response, it will mask this needle response. The meter will be in the exact spot where the two out of phase signals cancel each other out when you find the point of maximum backwards needle deflection (1/4" movements matter to get it spot on). If this point does not land in your listening position, use the L/R delay settings in your receiver to move the spot. You could also move your chair. A one foot change in either speaker delay setting moved the spot about 16 to 20 inches in my setup. Put in your favorite CD, sit with your head EXACTLY* where that backward needle deflection happens, lean back, close your eyes, and your Axioms will truely amaze you. You can visualize the studio or stage layout, hear singers breathing, fingertips sliding over strings, and in some cases, I swear I could hear toe tapping. I did this with Rush 2112 last night and swore I was in the studio.

You can use this same method with the left / center test to get that sweet spot in line with the l/r sweet spot. Once you get the 2 weet spots lined up, all of the surround modes sound better.

I almost forgot to mention that you should recalibrate the delay setting, phase, and gain of your sub after you find the sweet spot and before you do any serious testing of the results. Start by verify the sub distance setting, then set the phase. It is easiest if you can get someone to adjust the phase control on your sub while you sit in the sweet spot. This is going to sound silly, but once you are in the sweet spot of the main speakers, the phase setting on the sub works exactly like a "focus" control for the sound image. As the variable phase control on the sub is turned, you can hear the sounds of the drum kit coming from the sub "move" across the stage. The idea is to "line them up" with the drum sounds in the image created by the main speakers. You probably need to move the sub if yours doesn't have a variable phase control. (Thank you, SVS!) Finally, adjust the sub calibration with the phase adjusted correctly, and the meter stting exactly in the sweet spot.

* Your head needs to be in line with where the needle deflected, not in the exact point in 3D space where the meter was. Think of this spot as a "center line". It only works in 1 very narrow spot, 2-5" (yes, inches) wide. Put your nose right on this line, and adjust your head position to get your ears in the right spot.

I'd like someone who has never tried this to do so, and get back to me. I really can't wait to hear what you think. My bet is that you will have a whole new respect for the accuracy of your Axioms. If you are an auditioner, try putting the auditionee in that spot, crank up their favorite song on their favorite CD, leave the room (some folks might have a hard time closing their eyes and relaxing with other people watching). Come back 3 songs later, SOLD - I guarantee it. I've been debating moving this to a new post, but no, it belongs here. If you say "Ahhhh" now, you're going to be saying "Ahhh s$@t, why didn't I know this earlier?" after trying this one.

M- M60s/VP150/QS8s/SVS PC-Ultra/HK630 Sit down. Shut up. Listen.
#57297 08/15/04 11:27 PM
devotee
devotee
I hate replying to myself, but I can't edit the post any more.

Here's the link See Guy Kou's long post from 7/3/03 6:14PM most of the way down.

#57298 09/14/04 09:08 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Nice, helpful link Michael_A!

#57299 09/15/04 10:34 PM
devotee
devotee
If you try it, please let me know what you think. There will be exactly 1 spot where you put your head that will just make you say "Ahhhh.." - move 2 " either way, and you ar out of it. (And don't forget to get your ears at tweeter level).

#57300 09/20/04 01:03 AM
Hi Michael,

You described exactly what I heard about 17 years ago from the first true audiophile's system I experienced. That was tube amps, planar speakers, very heavy turntable and hours of empirical tweaks on his part. There were tape marks on the floor, he told me to lean back on the sofa in exactly this spot, then pull my head forward until.... No missing it when you heard it! I always thought the super-sensitive sweet spot was a planar speaker issue until your post.

The first week with my M3Ti's has been impressive enough. The Avia disc was already on order & now I'm getting impatient.

Many thanks.

#57301 09/26/04 12:29 PM
devotee
devotee
In reply to:

There were tape marks on the floor, he told me to lean back on the sofa in exactly this spot, then pull my head forward until.... No missing it when you heard it! I always thought the super-sensitive sweet spot was a planar speaker issue until your post.

That's exactly what you will get, FlyDog.

Finally, someone who knows what I am talking about. It is like you have just stuck your head through a window into the studio itself. I swear that I can visualize the studio layout in my head when I sit in that spot.

You are going to LOVE experiencing that again. Let me know when you get it.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,464
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 175 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup