Streem Speakers
#57774 08/18/04 09:12 PM
M
MarkB Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
M
Has anyone heard and compared the M60ti's to Streem's FS-808? Streem is a new Canadian direct marketing speaker maker. I would like to know the sound quality differences between Axiom's M60ti's and the Streem FS-808. The 808's have dual 8" woofers. Do they pump more bass? Is it clear or muddy?

What about the mid and upper ranges? Do the 808's compare to Axiom's in terms of sound quality/clarity? The 808's are less expensive. Do they sound cheap, too?

Streem's get rave reviews on their site. So do Axiom's. Has anyone here compared the two manufacturers? If so, please give me the lowdown.

Waiting with clipped breath.

Re: Streem Speakers
#57775 08/18/04 09:32 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
for anyone interested, here is the website for STREEM..

they look kinda cheap to me.. just my opinion.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#57776 08/18/04 09:34 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
If memory serves, there was a recent thread asking this same comparison (Streem vs. Axiom). As this is an Axiom board, you are sure to get the typical (...I never heard the Streems, but the Axioms are excellent and you can't go wrong as they also have better service) type replies.... as subjective as that may be.

From appearances, they seem to have imitated several different mfg'ers models. How well they managed to copy them would be the acid test. I have spent many years in the hobby...make that decades, and I had not heard of them. However, I had not heard of many of the mfg'ers before I purchased their products (Linn, Reference 3a, YBA,etc). They seem to offer similar return policy as the Axioms. Many on this board ordered their Axioms after the company became an ebiz marketer.

One thing that might help would be to audition Axioms (check the thread in general for someone in your area - HEY AMIE...this should be a database!!!). You could then order either mfg'ers stock, and return the least attractive to your ears!

#57777 08/18/04 11:44 PM
devotee
devotee
They look like they ripped off the Infinity Alpha series's looks.

... and there isn't even a +/- 3 dB thing next to the frequency response.

#57778 08/19/04 06:53 PM
M
MarkB Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
M
Word is that they look a lot better in person than pictured on their site. I'd rather not audition someone else's Axioms unless I know that person. It's just too awkward. And I'd rather not have to audition both in my home simultaneously with two charges on my credit card and them send one back. That's why I'm here.

I did a search on this site for "Streem" before I posted but it came up empty. And Streem doesn't have a message board. I know you guys are biased toward Axiom's, but that's the price of doing business here, I guess.

The M60ti's look cool and get rave reviews, but I wouldn't mind saving $300 if I can and the FS-808's have dual 8" woofers, which I like. I know the reviewers say the M60's are not light on bass, except for maybe just a tad. The old Boston Accoustics I own now have 8" woofers and they can pump bass pretty good. I guess I'm now biased towards 8" woofers.

Anyway, I was hoping there might be someone around here who has already listened to both brands and can offer some advice. I want to get the most bang for my buck. I also don't want to have to go through the hassle of shipping speakers back. Whatever I get, I'll probably keep.

Thanks for the help.

#57779 08/19/04 07:16 PM
M
MarkB Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
M
WOW!!!

I just found the FS-808's going for $400/PAIR at "Station Street." That's TWO for the price of ONE M60ti!

http://www.stationstreet.ca/mfr.asp?id=23&name=Streem

You guys have a lot of convincing to do. I don't know if I can pass that up. You'd better try to save me before I go over to the other side.

#57780 08/19/04 07:23 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I think the reviews that the Axioms have should be able to convince anyone.
Either way, I hope you will be happy with whatever you decide on.

M80's VP150 QS8's Earthquake SuperNova MKV-15
Integra DTR-7.4 Outlaw 755 Outlaw M200's Outlaw ICBM
#57781 08/19/04 07:48 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
You make valid points, and are using good judgement.

You may not find anyone who has heard both...for the same reasons you have not. My concern about them is that they don't even list an address for the company. They appear to be the exact definition of internet based company. That being said, Axiom did have a dealer network, and a link to this list on the website. I recently went by a local dealer that once carried Axiom, and the store was completely gone!!!! I also can't find the link on the website anymore.

You found a great deal on the 2 for 1 deal....maybe that will sway your purchase! With regards to the looks, I was not implying bad looks, just that some models resembled other larger named companies models.

Perhaps a little background on your systems, wants, needs, desires and location will allow others to post comments to address them. You may be surprised at the objective nature of some of the people here!!!

#57782 08/19/04 07:49 PM
aficionado
aficionado
MarkB,

I'll be honest; I've auditioned a lot of "high end" speakers like PSB, Energy and B&W to name a few. I liked the sound, but found that it would cost two to three times the price of the Axioms. Get this the Axioms SOUND (to my ears) better than the ones I mentioned.
I’m not biased here, if I found something much better, I probably would take a look.

I researched for several months and finally purchased the Axioms. I’m VERY happy that I did. I think you would be too. Before you go out and order anything, read some of the Axiom reviews, they are all over the place. Audioholics.com has a few reviews on the Axioms I think you will be very impressed. After all you get what you pay for with the exception of the Axioms of course and you get a lot of bang for your buck and no buyer remorse.

Tom

M80's VP150 QS8's Earthquake SuperNova MKV-15
Integra DTR-7.4 Outlaw 755 Outlaw M200's Outlaw ICBM
#57783 08/19/04 08:29 PM
L
connoisseur
connoisseur
L
I'll try to be subjective here. I love my Axioms. I believe I would have a hard time replacing them for the same amount of money. However, I don't know that for a fact. Just to be fair to Mark I would have to say that the Streem 808's, from the description alone, seem to be a lot of speaker for $500 a pair. Mark, before you buy I would suggest that you look into how easy it would be to return these monsters if you don't like them. Axiom's don't cost a bundle to return.

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 22 23

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters