Re: Streem Search
#57804 08/21/04 07:09 AM
M
MarkB Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
M
Don't worry. They're real. Read these reviews of their HT-808 system by satisfied customers on Audioreview.com.

http://www.audioreview.com/Home+Theater+Speaker+Systems/Streem/PRD_289946_4282crx.aspx#reviews

When some people find out they may not have gotten the "deal of the century" they get a little edgy. It's called "buyer's remorse." Deal with it.

This system has me thinking that I may go the HT route instead since I need to buy a new receiver anyway, it might as well be an AV one instead of 2-channel.

For $600 shipped for a 5 speaker system, I can't go far wrong, especially with glowing reviews like these.

I don't seek, nor need, anyone's validation. I'm perfectly capable of making up my own mind. I was only seeking additional information, and I knew some people around here would not be capable of impartiality.

#57805 08/21/04 09:55 AM
connoisseur
Online Content
connoisseur
I am sure we all believe they are real. As I stated in my posts, you are going to get the "Axioms are way better...." comments. That is to be expected on the mfg'ers board.

The "red flags" that are pointed out by the people who reply are all valid - no address, no telephone number, odd collection of designs (no central philosophy to design principles). Would you be comfortable buying other products from similar oriented mfg'ers?

BTW, we are enthusiasts who come to this board to discuss- rationally for the most part - audio. Yes, most own Axiom, some do not. Most believe Axiom is a quality product. Do I beleive they are the best? NO, and I can say I stated that from the beginning (I have owned Axiom since the late 1980's). I also own better speakers (Totem and Reference 3a) but will tell you that to get better the cost is greater. That is the core item with Axiom and the owners.

As for "buyers remorse", well, yes you could ALWAYS wonder "what if..." when you buy anything. Did you miss out on something buying A over B? You could drive yourself crazy playing that game in your mind. The way you try to minimize this is to compare, research and above all in audio - listen. Spend the time and effort to listen to as many products that fall into your price range as possible....and if I may some that are below and above so you have a reference point. You have been given the suggestion by many of us who replied to find a local Axiom owner and try to arrange a listen.

We have provided input, some has been objective, some passionate. I am sure based on this entire thread that you would be happy with either product. Please let us know how this works out for you, as even if you buy something else, you are still welcome on this board.

EOT

#57806 08/21/04 11:45 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
Nobody is saying the Sreem might not be a good deal, after all $600 for 5 speakers.Remmember if it sounds to go to be true,well you know the rest of that story.As far as Audioreview goes its a good place to start a search but with only customer reviews you probably will not get an unbiased opinon.Like I said before go for it and report back on how you like them.

Buyers remorse. Not here I simply love my M80's.

Last edited by wid; 08/21/04 12:03 PM.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

#57807 08/21/04 04:07 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
"Methinks you doth protest too much." (Don't flame me on my Shakespeare, I'm not sure of the exact quote )

I would suggest that we drop this thread as it appears to me to be an attempt at generating some free advertising for those cheapo speakers.

#57808 08/21/04 05:05 PM
buff
buff
Mark I will also add that if for some reason you are unable to return the speakers should you buy them, I would think that you my have difficulty securing a high return if you tried selling them outright seeing that Streem is a New Company with a small customer base.

Al

#57809 08/21/04 09:28 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Well let me chime in here. I have been on the road and unable to post much but I will post on this subject. Ever heard a set of JBL's big boxes from the mid 80's?........good.......you just heard a Streem speaker. A buddy of mine has a set of RW-500's that he bought for home use. After 2 weeks they ended up out at his cottage. That should tell you a little something right there. They are an entry level speaker with questionable customer support and average build quality. Now given there price point, that is to be expected. They are a Radio Shack style speaker for lack of a better term. Are they Axiom's? no they are not. The Axioms are a much better speaker in every way imaginable. I will also echo what has been said here already, Axiom makes a good quality speaker with some of the best customer support I have come across. Are they the best speaker out there? Not even close but as with anything, you get what you pay for.

Someone made the comment that you get what you pay for and probably get a little bit extra with Axiom. I would have to agree with that thought.

Now before you go and jump on me and say I'm partial to Axiom, search out a few of my posts and you will find that to be totally untrue. I have had almost every Axiom speaker they make and I'm now running Monitor Audio's for my mains.

#57810 08/21/04 11:48 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
...and still not happy.

#57811 08/22/04 03:33 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
.............nope...............but it's not so much NotHappy as Upgradius is a never ending search for something that can not be found! :-) In a year from now I will be in here posting on some other speaker I'm trying out but hell, that is the game and I like the game!

Re: Entry Level
#57812 08/22/04 05:51 PM
M
MarkB Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
M
Without having first heard them you can't comment on what level the Streem's are on. Entry level? Not from what I've read so far. JBL RW-500's can't hang with these.

Streem offers a 30 day in-home trial just like Axiom. Customer support, by all accounts on Audioreview, has been excellent. One guy got a set with a defective woofer. He sent it back, and it was fixed and returned in 3 days.

The fact that Axiom has not axed this thread is a credit to the company. It shows confidence in its product line. I admire that. Consumers like me need and deserve all the information they can get before making a buying decision.

The only valid knock against Streem so far is that some of their speakers, like the FS-808's, LOOK a little cheap. I like a more refined look too, but looks are not imperative for me. Sound is. So is cost.

This thread has caused me to rethink my buying decision. I no longer think 2-channel stereo is the way to go for me. Since I need a new tuner, the AV route makes a lot more sense. Why buy a $300 HK 3480 or even a $175 HK 3475 when I can get a Denon AVR 1804 (6-channel, 6.1 Surround, 90W/) for around $330 at "Abe's of Maine?"

AV is the way to go, especially if I can get a good quality 5-speaker system at a radically low price. I think I'd choose the Streem HT-500 for its better aesthetics (especially with the grills off), and even LOWER price.

http://www.streemspeakers.com/ht-500.asp

As far as getting what you pay for, sometimes you get more, like with Axiom. Then again, sometimes you get a LOT more.

That's where doing your homework comes in. I can't justify paying $800 for two towers if I can get a whole system for less if their quality is comparable. Not EQUAL, but comparable. I'm sure the Axiom's are better speakers. How much better is the issue. Since none of you have ever auditioned the Streem's, your opinions on its sound quality are nothing but invalid speculation. I came here asking if anyone had ever HEARD them, not whether you could offer an uninformed opinion.

From what I've read, the Streem's have at least earned a 30 day home trial. They are not entry level, just ridiculously inexpensive. Sometimes new companies have to slash prices to make a name for themselves. In that case, the early buyers who take a "risk" with them profit handsomely. That may be that case with Streem.

If not, then I'll send them back. Streem's are sold at retail outlets like "Station Street," so sending them back won't be a problem, whether through it or buying direct.

If I hit the lotto, I'll get the Epic 80 (or something better) and a $2,000 receiver. Until then I'm looking for the biggest bang for my buck. And right now, 2-channel stereo can't compete with 5-channel surround sound in my mind. Not if the sound quality is comparable.

Re: Streem Speakers
#57813 08/22/04 06:04 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
"Since none of you have ever auditioned the Streem's, your opinions on its sound quality are nothing but invalid speculation. I came here asking if anyone had ever HEARD them, not whether you could offer an uninformed opinion."

You sure seem to love them without having ever heard them. It seems to me your opinion is as uninformed as ours - or is it?

Page 4 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 22 23

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters