Print Thread
Rate Thread
Anti-Standing-Wave cabinet
#5840 09/19/02 05:35 PM
wbwatts Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
While showing off my new M60's to a friend last weekend he asked about the speakers unique shape. Wanting to impress I pointed out it was a Anti-Standing-Wave cabinet.

After saying this I realized I'm not sure what an Anti-Standing-Wave cabinet is and what it actually does.

What does it do?

Re: Anti-Standing-Wave cabinet
#5841 09/20/02 02:00 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi wbwatts,

Standing waves, which produce regions of exaggerated bass frequencies and areas of cancellation are generated in any square or rectangular room. The frequencies at which standing waves occur are dictated by the specific dimensions of a given room.

In the same manner, the back waves from the woofers in an enclosure of symmetrical dimensions will produce standing waves inside the speaker cabinet. These may cause various parts of the wooden enclosure to resonate or vibrate at specific frequencies. If they are sufficiently severe, these internal standing waves will introduce colorations to the reproduced sound, making the speaker less accurate and less neutral.

Some designers use elaborate internal bracing between the cabinet walls to damp the vibrations set up by standing waves. Axiom's approach is to make the enclosure of asymmetrical dimensions to prevent standing waves from occurring.

A similar approach is often taken in the interior design of recording studios--uneven walls and asymmetrical dimensions prevent standing waves from occurring.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
Re: Anti-Standing-Wave cabinet
#5842 09/20/02 05:53 PM
wbwatts Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
Thank you for the response.

I also did a Google search and found more info than I could absorb. Interesting reading.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (BBIBH), 580 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup