Print Thread
Rate Thread
M40 question
#589 12/10/01 01:17 AM
B
brian Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I'm wondering if this speaker will be suitable for my tastes. For some time now I've been shopping for a small floorstanding speaker to be used primarily with music. Previously I owned Meadowlark Kestrels, which were the best speakers I've ever had. A relocation and change in lifestyle forced me to part with them some time back and I've been relying on my Grados for music. Not wanting to spend as much on speakers again, I've been looking around the $600(US) price point. I've found nothing satisfying. The closest I've come is the Rega Jura. Warm and musical, spacious soundstage, lush midrange, just atouch boomy in the bass. Unfortunately, they cost over $900 a pair. Does anyone know how the Axioms would compare with the Regas? My main concern with the Axioms is that they use a metal dome tweeter. My experience with relatively inexpensive speakers with metal tweeters has not been pleasurable. They all sound dry to me (example: the PSB Image 4B) My room measures 20x10 and the speakers will be about 6 feet apart with me just over six feet from them. Sorry about the length of this post, but I'm very picky about my audio purchases, despite my relatively low budget, and seek the most precise info I can get. Thanks.

Re: M40 question
#590 12/10/01 06:05 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I've just received a pair and am breaking them in. So far, I would say your fears of dryness from the metallic tweeters are unfounded with the M40. I would describe these speakers as extremely smooth and musical, with plenty of detail but not analytical. Bass is quite strong. I have not noticed any boominess, but I wouldn't say it's very punchy, either. My SS integrated amp is fairly modest in power, however, so I cannot judge if the bass response would be noticeably quicker with a better amp, although I suspect it would.

Re: M40 question
#591 12/13/01 02:11 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree with the last post. I actually just purchased a pair of M40s and, so far, am very impressed. I have a NAD T750 receiver and the bass response is excellent. The sound is very natural and the speakers disappear very easily.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044