Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sony ES vs Onkyo
#59288 09/01/04 04:03 AM
OP Offline
After years of waiting, I'm finally going to get a decent home theater setup. I'm going with a Sony 42" KF-42WE610 television, and the Axiom Epic 50 Home Theater package. After reading all the reviews I can find, I think I've got two winners there. I just can't seem to find good advice on a reciever. All of this will be going into a smaller sized living room now, and a bigger room in about a year. They'll be used for movies and PS2 games about 90% of the time, and music for the rest of the time. Right now I'm looking at two main choices:

Sony STR-DA2000ES Seems like a solid reciever, lots of good features that I like (on-screen programming, etc). Haven't seen too many reviews of it online though. I like sticking with Sony, since everything else I have is Sony (TV, DVD, VCR, PS2, etc)

or

Onkyo TX-SR701 - Pretty much the same, but with more reviews online.

So, if I was looking for a reciever in the $500-800 range, with on-screen setup, and at least 2 optical inputs, what would you recommend?

Last edited by bluedragon; 09/01/04 04:05 AM.
Re: Sony ES vs Onkyo
#59289 09/01/04 04:05 AM
aficionado
aficionado
I've researched that very same Sony model and I couldn't quite understand if it had pre-outs or not. I believe it had just two pre-outs for the main channels but I am not sure. Either way, they are both pretty good recievers that should make you happy. If the Sony doesn't have the pre-outs then I would go with the Onkyo just to be safe.

#59290 09/01/04 01:29 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
blue dragon- sounds like you are well on your way to having a real nice HT system. i was just looking at 42 inch flat screens yesterday afternoon myself.

i cant say i know alot about the sony receivers, but i do know the sony ES models have been spoken very well of. i CAN speak of the onkyp 701 because it is what i own. i like this receiver VERY much, and have no major complaints about it. i will start with the good stuff. it has pre/pro connections for adding a bigger amp at a later date. multiple inputs/outputs for hooking up any number of components. i seriously doubt you would ever use them all.. plus, there are inputs in the front for easy hookup of playstation or video recorder. it is a 7.1, 100 watt per channel demon that can play as loud and clear as you can take it. i have still yet to crank it to MAX volume cause my ears start to hurt. it has up conversion capabilities up to s-viseo. it has a great learning remote, and the owners manual is very informative and easy to read and follow. PLUS, with the 702's coming out, you can find great deals on the 701's. easily available on the web from $450-$550 bucks. i think in that price range, you will not find a more versatile and reliable receiver.

now, to be fair, the stuff i dont like about it. it doesnt do up conversion to component cables, but that ok.. it doesnt have the new Pro Logic IIx decoding, and it does get hot if worked hard.. so make sure you have it well ventilated.

thats it.. i aint saying nothin bad on the sony, but i am saying plenty of good on the 701. it has been a complete workhorse for me, and i couldnt be happier with my purchase.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#59291 09/12/04 08:06 PM
regular
regular
I just gave up a Sony 995 (to my kids) for an Onkyo 801. I've always looked at Onkyo as "just a little beyond my budget". but I found it on sale at CC for under $800. It does seem to hit a sale every few weeks at CC.

The Onkyo 801 sounded better than the Sony right off the bat. However the front panel lights died after 6 weeks and I found two local dealers to get warranty work with. As far as I know the only way to get a Sony fixed under warranty is to ship it to them. Having swiped the Sony 995 back from my kids while I waited for the repair, I was even more impressed with the sound of the Onkyo. Whenever you buy something new you want to like it, so it will probably sound great to your ears anyway. But take it away and see if the old sound holds up. I really like the Onkyo!

It has hidden features like the ability to set up the speakers individually, but the Sony can only setup speaker distances in pairs. All-in-all I'm much happer with the Onkyo than I ever have been with the Sony. One last thing... check the THD. I don't know about the Sony ES line, but the new Sony 997 has more THD than the least expensive Onkyo receiver.

Always give more than expected!
#59292 09/12/04 08:17 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I have had a few Sony ES models. One of my favourites is the Sony 777ES. Kick ass receiver and a very under rated piece. Shortly after I got rid of it I went with a Yamaha DSP-A1 and the Sony was heads and shoulders better in almost everyway possible. I also had the 7ES and it once again was a nice unit. I have also had the 333ES and 555ES. I have never had one of the newer ones but if they are anything like ones from the past year or two, they will be nice. Up until I got my Denon 3805 I was running the Onkyo 800. Very nice unit but a little shy on power when it comes to lower ohm speakers. I looked hard at the Sony 9000ES before I went with the Denon but I just could not justify the money.

Only thing I can compare against is the 777Es vs the 800. Even with the 777ES being a few years old, I would take it over the Onkyo 800.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that both Sony and Onkyo make dam nice stuff. If your going to be powering lower ohm speakers and want it loud, get the Sony. The Onkyo will also work but you may have to add another amp to offset it.

#59293 09/12/04 08:28 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
Neverhappy,

Did you ever run a 4 ohm speaker on any of the Sony recievers you listed?

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

#59294 09/12/04 09:04 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Interesting, my Integra will run my m80's effortlessly. It's a re-badged Onkyo. I personally think Sony is the cheapest crap out there and you couldn't pay me to own it. The ES is just another way for Sony to get your money.
Obviously I don't like Sony I think their equipment is total $hit! Just my opinion, Sorry if I insult anyone.

M80's VP150 QS8's Earthquake SuperNova MKV-15
Integra DTR-7.4 Outlaw 755 Outlaw M200's Outlaw ICBM
#59295 09/12/04 10:02 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I've had a few of each ... an Onkyo TXDS797THX receiver and a Sony STRDB 1070, not an ES, but close. The Onk was better, much more powerful and more musical, though the Sony did have superior SLAM, some aspect of attack.

I now have a Sony TA E9000ES processor in one system, and an Integra DTC 9.4 processor in another. I picked up the Sony from ebay, new B stock for $499, the Integra was about 3 times the price. Don't get me wrong, the Integra is great, extremely musical, and is a 7 channel unit with multichannel inputs and great DACS for each, but the TA E9000ES with the firmware upgrades is a match for the Integra.

My advice ... if you don't need 7 channels and don't have SACD/DVD Audio, grab a nice TA E9000ES processor, and get yourself some great used 2 channel amps. (Onkyo, Integra, Marantz, Yamaha M-80/M-85, Parasound, etc.)

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#59296 09/12/04 10:52 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
wid, Only with the 777ES. Every other Sony I had was running 6ohm or 8ohm speakers. Don't get me wrong here. The Onkyo has good power I just felt that when I got cranking on the M80's, it started to run out of gas as the volume got up there.

tleigh, dam it man, say what you feel. Stop beating around the bush already. lol :-) All kidding aside, I meant what I said. That 777ES was a nice unit that drove anything I threw at it without a hitch. I'm not a huge Sony fan but I will go public when they get somthing right. The 777ES was one of them as was the DVSP-7000 and lastly the TAN-9000ES 5 channel amp is a great amplifier. I'm sure the 9000 pre is nice also but I didn't have one long enough to comment. I had it as a loner for all of a day once.

#59297 09/12/04 11:07 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
The reason for asking is that from what I have read and from what some folks that own Sony recievers say they don't recommend running them with a 4 ohm load.It has been said and I have read that Sony over rates the amp section quite a bit.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters