Re: HT universal remotes, thoughts, suggestions
#59651 09/03/04 11:48 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Hi Jon,

Stay dry and safe.

Jack's post about the MX-700 nicely summarizes my experience also. It's been a really great addition for me. Success in this regard (and most others) is measured by making my wife happy. She can now press one button to do just about anything she wants. It took a bit of time to program, but the results are great, and I really like the PC interface. I also got an "open box" model at surfremote and was extremely pleased with the service and product.

I can't believe Ray3 hasn't chimed in yet. He is the resident evangelist for this thing.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#59652 09/04/04 12:25 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Ken,

I wouldn't call it small. The Harmony is noticeably smaller. Along the upper surface it's 9" long, 3" at it's widest (up by the screen), and 2 1/4 at the narrowest. The lower surface is roughly 8" long by 1 1/4 inch wide. The sides taper from the upper surface down to the lower surface. Not knowing the size of your wife's hands, I can't say if she would find it too large.

There is a SideKick MX-200 remote that works WITH the MX-700 (in the left hand menu, click on "Products," then "MX-200") . You can find it for as little as $50 here and elsewhere. Look at the MX Editor Programming Manual, and you'll see a photo of both on the cover. It is smaller and would be easier for your wife to use. Then you each could have your own remote.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Radio Shak Remote
#59653 09/04/04 02:49 AM
veteran
veteran
I had one for a while

for the price it was great

expect to make it up in Batteries in one year!!

that thing ate batteries almost monthly (or close t it)

other than that i liked it a lot

"There is one thing that I know for sure, and that is that I know nothing." ...Socrates
Re: Radio Shak Remote
#59654 09/04/04 04:10 AM
devotee
devotee
Fear my MX-700 Universal Home Theater Remote...

When I hit "DVD" it turns receiver on (if neccessary) changes it to "DVD", sets volume to -15.0 DB, turns on the TV, switches TV to Video3, Turns on DVD player, opens the drawer, I stick in a DVD and put it back in, and when I hit play my room lights dim to 20%.

fear me.

- D

"Big John is my Idol...or is it that other way around? Let's ask Ray!"
yeah butt
#59655 09/04/04 04:19 AM
veteran
veteran
does it MAKE POPCORN?

hahahaa

LOL

"There is one thing that I know for sure, and that is that I know nothing." ...Socrates
#59656 09/04/04 05:08 AM
veteran
veteran
Jon,

We have a house in St. Pete and were down there for Charley My wife and I decided to leave on Thursday morning ahead of the evacuation order being announced and head for home glad we did the traffic would have been horrendous otherwise. Can’t imagine having to prepare yourself twice to go throught that. Keep your head down and stay Safe!

I like the Phillips pronto line of remotes, I have a TSU3000 for my upstairs system and a Ipronto TSi6400 for my HT setup downstairs these units are a little more complex to setup but they are fabulous I have a NTX6400 Network extender for the TSi6400 which allows me to use the remote from any room in the house through my wireless network, the Ipronto really works great and looks really and is a nice looking unit as well but they are expensive and they do require a lot of setup to get them working the way you like them.

I hope everything goes well for you, and after the strom finds you all safe.

John

Re: Radio Shak Remote
#59657 09/04/04 05:10 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Yup, sounds like you just need it to take the DVD out of the case and have it put it in for you and then push the tray back in and you wouldn't even have to get out of your seat

#59658 09/04/04 05:46 AM
regular
regular
"The Sony's are touch screen models. They used to drive me nuts when I had a situation where I had to push a button on the touch screen multiple times to achieve the desired results, such as scrolling through a menu. I'd put my finger on the appropriate spot on the touch screen, look up at the TV screen to be sure where I was on the menu, and as I pushed to touch screen, my finger would drift off the appropriate spot and I'd be changing something I didn't want to change as well as NOT scrolling through the menu. This would make me crazy."

You just have to know how to program it correctly. The hard button wheel area controls the scrolling of any piece of equipment I'm currently using. I also programmed the 4 main hard buttons for my most frequent buttons (ff, play, rewind, pause on my directivo). I will say that touchscreen remotes aren't for everyone, but I love my sony commander. After over 1 year of use, I can even operate almost all of the functions for every component without looking at the touch screen.

Stew

"the dream never dies, just the dreamer"
#59659 09/04/04 11:02 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
I also have the Kameleon six-in-one from Radio Shack,as it was said earlier this thing chews up batteries.I seems like one month is all I can get with out having to change them.The damn thing lights up with the smallest amount of vibration.Bass from the sub even makes it lite up,so unless you have an endless supply of batteries stay away from this one.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

#59660 09/04/04 11:50 AM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

You just have to know how to program it correctly.

I think I do. There are many "multiple push" functions that must be placed on the touch screen. For example. when I have it set up to watch a DVD the "hard button wheel area" controlled the menu scrolling for the DVD's menu, but the "search" function was on the touch screen, as was the FF/Rev which, needed multiple pushes to increase speed. And, with the Sony, there was no place to adequately set up scrolling for the monitor's or receiver's menus on the DVD device without using the touch screen. I am not so limited with the MA-700.

What about PIP? Do you have the PIP source, another multiple push function, set up for your hard buttons?

In reply to:

The hard button wheel area controls the scrolling of any piece of equipment I'm currently using.

What if you're using more than one piece of equipment? When watching TV, I can set up the "hard wheel control area" on the MX-700 to control the navigation through the programming guide provided by my cable box, while setting up a few of the hard buttons next to the screen to control navigation through my TV menus (or vice versa). This means I don't have to switch devices all the time when watching TV.

When watching a DVD, I'm using 3 devices; monitor, receiver, and DVD player. If I wish, I can set the MX-700 up so can control the scrolling functions of all 3 without having to change devices.

The Sonys are excellent remotes, but the MX-700 is more versatile, and less limited.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082