Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: yeah butt
#59671 09/10/04 08:39 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I was just told in general that there aren't any Universal Remotes that will work a ceiling fan / light IF that is normally controlled w/ an RF remote.

Do your lights normally have an RF remote or is it IR?

I have no idea about the X-10 codes you mentioned, I haven't really looked into anything yet, but IF possible, I definately want to get a remote that operates my ceiling fan as well. Are those codes something you download to a PC then transfer onto the remote?

#59672 09/10/04 10:01 PM
axiomite
axiomite
X10 is a communications "language" that allows compatible products to talk to each other using the existing electrical wiring in the home. Most X10 compatible products are very affordable and the fact that they talk over existing wires in your home means that no costly rewiring is necessary.

Installation is simple, a controller plugs (or wires) in at one location in the home and sends its control signal (on, off, dim, bright, etc.) to a module which plugs (or wires) into another location in the home.

In my case, each lamp I wish to control plugs into a lamp module ($10). I use an $8 controller or a $20 controller to turn the lights on/off, and dim or brighten them (I have both).

To use your IR universal remote, like my MX-700, you need this IR543 controller which receives IR signals (the previous two don't). Just plug this controller in near your TV or audio equipment and it'll pick up the signal sent from your universal remote control, like my MX-700.

In order to get the MX-700 to work with the controller I had to download a bunch of files from [url= http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/files/rcfiles.cgi?area=mx700&db=devices&br=x10&dv=lighting&fc=]RemoteCentral[which contain the codes that operate the controller from the MX-700. I then loaded the codes into the MX-700 software on my computer, and then downloaded them to the remote itself. Viola. My MX-700 controls my lights

I control my in-wall AC by using a heavy duty 220V appliance module, and my Ideal-Lume Standard fluorescent back-light behind my HDTV, with a 120V appliance module. This is non-dimmable because you don't want to dim a fluorescent.

I don't know if it is possible to control your ceiling fan in this manner. But, if you peruse both of the web sights provided by the links above, you should get some idea if it's possible.

The basic control of the lighting is pretty simple. Getting it to work with the MX-700 is a bit more complicated. But, I've found it to be well worth the time and effort to set up.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#59673 09/10/04 11:51 PM
devotee
devotee
If all you want the fan to do is turn on and off, then yeah you can do that. Speed adjustments however are mechanical to the fan itself, and thus cannot be controller by the fan, again though, if you have speed controllers wired into a light/dimmer switch of some kind (thus it's electrical) then X-10 can be adapted for this purpose.

- D

"Big John is my Idol...or is it that other way around? Let's ask Ray!"
Re: HT universal remotes, thoughts, suggestions
#59674 09/11/04 07:54 PM
local
OP Offline
local
Hey guys, thanks for all the great info, what details, you guys are great. Just got power back after 7 days, and let me tell ya, it s##ked!!! Anyhow, I am going with the mx-700 , Thanks for all the input. Finally watched TV and had sound, last night. Sooooo tired of generators, and chain saws, and all the other stuff. We got hit pretty hard, alot of tree damage, roofs, structual, and flooding. But I fared pretty well compared to others. Thanks again, Jon

Sunfire amps & processor Sammy 50" Crown amp 2-SVS SS Maple Ultras, Axiom 60s,22s,150cc, QS8s
#59675 09/11/04 07:59 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
Good to hear from ya.I wish you and your family well.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

#59676 09/11/04 09:17 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Jon,

My brother is in Ft. Myers. He knows exactly what you are talking about.

Batten down the hatches. Here comes Ivan. Actually, the latest storm track shows the East coast of Florida just barely OUT of the track. If Ivan just keeps moving more to the West than it does to the North, you should be in good shape. However, we all know the unpredictability of these doggone storms. I'll be thinking of you (and my brother).

Jon, If you have not done so, I recommend you download the MX Editor Software, MX Editor Tutorial, and MC Editor Programming Manual, and take the time to read the manual, and practice with the software, BEFORE the remote arrives. It'll just give you a head start. Any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#59677 09/11/04 09:58 PM
old hand
old hand
Newegg has the MX-700 for $179 plus $4 for FedEx shipping. The price seems fair and I know from personal experience that Newegg is very reliable! And - I make nothing if they sell stuff from my endorsement!

- Bill

#59678 09/11/04 11:35 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Newegg is good... I use them for computer parts all the time.

[black]-"The further we go and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."[/black]
#59679 09/12/04 12:34 PM
old hand
old hand
I've read so many good things about the MX-700 that I went ahead and ordered one from Newegg. I figured that if I'm not 100% happy with it, I can always sell it on eBay and won't be out all that much thanks to the reasonable Newegg price!

#59680 09/12/04 05:29 PM
buff
buff
For what it's worth, it looks like they've addressed the battery life and sensivity probs on the Kameleon in the latest models. Following is from Design Technica site:

"I actually work for the company and we have redesigned the tilt switch which activates the EL panel so it is less sensitive. The newest Kameleons, the C6 Kameleon and the One For All Kameleon, have this revised EL panel along with improved battery life. Also these newer Kameleons have a super easy setup that basically walks you through the process, step by step. We were pretty rushed when it came to making the Radio Shack version and didn't have the time to take full advantage of the technology. I highly recommend checking out the One For All Kameleon as it has the latest bells and whistles. Well worth the price."

They have the new ones at Best Buy and Circut City around $90. I might have to try one out and post my thoughts. (I'm only leary because the name reminds me of that stupid Culture Club song)

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters