Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
HT universal remotes, thoughts, suggestions
#59641 09/03/04 08:47 PM
local
OP Offline
local
Well, Looks like I am going to get abit lucky on hurricane Frances, if you call 90-100 mph winds lucky, so now I am thinking sweet sound again. Looking at 25 remotes or so on my table!!! Does anyone have suggestions on as close as one can get to 1 remote. I have looked a bit at 8 and 12 componant remotes. Are these really practical, can I change center and rear settings as some movies seemed more biased than others, I use that function a fair amount. I am just looking for some simplicity, and a "somewhat" cleaner coffee table, all those remotes leaves less room for my cold beer!! Jon

Sunfire amps & processor Sammy 50" Crown amp 2-SVS SS Maple Ultras, Axiom 60s,22s,150cc, QS8s
Re: HT universal remotes, thoughts, suggestions
#59642 09/03/04 09:14 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
Hi Jon,

What's your price range? I'm currently eyeing the Home Theater Master MX-700. It's a hard-button remote with 20 devices (sounds like overkill, but it allows for a lot of flexibility). It's programmed via a PC application and connecting cable. Macros are possible on nearly any key, and each device has 4 pages of 10 "soft keys" that can be custom named. This thing can truly replace all of your remotes, and the macro capabilities allow you to do nearly anything you want to simplify the use of your system for yourself and others.

Retail is around $350 I believe, but open box models can be found on eBay for around $170 shipped. If you're interested, I'd suggest checking out the review on remotecentral.com and even downloading the PC application to try out the programming. Happy hunting!

Scott

-------------------------------------------------
M60s, VP150 and QS8s (2)
Powered by Denon
#59643 09/03/04 09:21 PM
veteran
veteran
Hello Joninflorida,

Hope you are well. Stay safe down there. I use a Sony Integrated Remote Commander RM-AV3000. This unit is quite capable, and has 3 pages of user programmable buttons per device, plus the standard hard coded functions. This is great since my Harman Kardon AVR630 receiver has separte on and off buttons so I had to program an off button to go with the standard hard coded power button. It is very flexible but slightly difficult to program, but once set up is very good. I have my VCR, DVD, TV, and HK AVR630 being controlled by it, and never touch my regular remotes anymore, unless I forgot to program some button into it, then I have to get out the remote and program and label the function.

Just checked Sony's site, my model has been replaced with the RM-AV3100, here is the link.

Sony RM-AV3100 Link

It is $199 retail.

Looks like the new model is even better than mine, I feel some upgradeitis....lol. Of course I don't need it, the one I have is doing the job without any limitations yet.....

Later,

TonyM

#59644 09/03/04 09:21 PM
local
OP Offline
local
Thanks Scott, I was ironically looking at the same thing, 169.00 (buy it now) Also saw a mx-1000, both seemed to download from the PC, I was just wondering if they are more trouble than their worth, Do they really perform all the functions?? If so, even though I hate spending money that has no true sound effect, I would part with 170.00 to have my girl shut-up about the maga remotes, and me always asking where a "certain" one is.

Sunfire amps & processor Sammy 50" Crown amp 2-SVS SS Maple Ultras, Axiom 60s,22s,150cc, QS8s
#59645 09/03/04 10:09 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I have the MX-500 and love it.

check out remotecentral.com

#59646 09/03/04 10:18 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
Jon,

From what I've read, they really do perform all of the functions. Any commands that you can't find in their pre-programmed database can either be learned from the original remote or copied from other user's remote files posted on remotecentral.com. There's even a way to copy commands from files for the Philips Pronto (a touchscreen universal remote). Basically, if a command exists, you should pretty much be able to get it to work on the MX-700.

Flexibility is the name of the game with universal remotes, and in hard-button remotes, there doesn't seem to be anything out there that's more flexible.

-------------------------------------------------
M60s, VP150 and QS8s (2)
Powered by Denon
#59647 09/03/04 10:57 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Jon,

My brother is in Ft. Myers and he's all battened down......AGAIN! Be smart; be safe. We'll be thinking of you.

I gotta second the vote for the MX-700. For years I'd used the Sony model that Tony mentioned (first the 2100, then the 3000), and they are very good remotes. But I had two (and a half) complaints about them.

The size was problem one. If you have a coffee table in front of you, this wouldn't be a big problem. I didn't, and handling it was awkward, and uncomfortable.

The Sony's are touch screen models. They used to drive me nuts when I had a situation where I had to push a button on the touch screen multiple times to achieve the desired results, such as scrolling through a menu. I'd put my finger on the appropriate spot on the touch screen, look up at the TV screen to be sure where I was on the menu, and as I pushed to touch screen, my finger would drift off the appropriate spot and I'd be changing something I didn't want to change as well as NOT scrolling through the menu. This would make me crazy.

The "half" a problem is what Tony mentioned about it not being real easy to program. It's not real easy, but it's easy enough.

One more thing. The Sony only gives you a choice of 3 or 4 names for each touch screen button.

That brings me to the MX-700. Good friends Ray3, and TomTuttle, here on the forum encouraged, by example, that I check out the MX-700. I finally took the leap, and I'm happy as a clam I did. I LOVE this thing.

You can label each button along the screen exactly what you want (5 letters max length). Though not small, it fits nicely in the hand. It's a hard button remote (no touch screen buttons) so my finger no longer drifts (whew, thank heaven).

I would not call it easy to program, but it is a little easier than the Sonys. What makes it easier is that fact that you program the remote entirely on your computer, then download the configuration to the remote. This means that mistakes, and/or changes can easily be made in the software on your computer and then downloaded.

Should you lean toward the MX-700 I heartily recommend following Scott's advise by downloading the software, and the MX Editor Programming Manual, and playing around with it for awhile. I even printed the manual, all 66 pages (I printed on both sides of the paper ). Download, or run, the video tutorial also. I took me awhile to get the hang of the programming, but once I did, It gets pretty easy. And the reward is that this remote DOES IT ALL!

I got an "open box model" (not a flaw to be found) from Surf Remote Control for $190.66 shipped (using the SHIPDISC coupon code to reduce shipping costs). A new model can be found for less ($166.92 shipped) at TrendsAndGAdgets.com. Surf Remote Control is an authorized dealer, but I don't if TrendsAndGadgets is.

Should you decide to go with the MX-700 don't hesitate to holler for help if you need it. Ray, or Tom, or I will be glad to help.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#59648 09/03/04 11:10 PM
connoisseur
Online Content
connoisseur
I have an MX-800, a weird mini console Sony RM-TP501E remote, but my favorite, by far, is the Kameleon six-in-one from Radio Shack. Yes, that's right, Radio Shack.

This buttonless membrane surface remote has the brightest and most pleasant user interface of any remote I've ever used. If you can afford the $59 freight, grab one. You won't be sorry.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#59649 09/03/04 11:12 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'll put in a word for Harmony. I had the 768, which is great because it's VERY programmable. If you're willing to work w/ XML, you can create very complex macros. I've since moved to a 688 because I'm a heavy HD Tivo user. there's more transport buttons, which makes it easier. Expect this model to be even better priced since the replacement model just got announced, 686 or something like that. That's a good combo of the 659 and 688. My only complaint about the 688 are the buttons are little close. 686 solves that.

#59650 09/03/04 11:26 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
WHere can I find info on this 686? Logitech/Harmony's website only lists the 659 and the 688.

On that HT Master MX700, how does it work with small hands? My wife's hands are pretty small, and she would be the driving force behind a universal remote 'round here...

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters