Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Breaking in speakers -- is it for real ?
#59708 09/04/04 02:54 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
So, what does everyone think. I read that Axiom's needed a couple of weeks of break-in before they really sounded smooth. Sounded like a crock, but after having new M2i's for a couple of weeks I'm starting to believe.

The obvious first thought is that maybe they just sound rough and I'm getting used to it, but I really don't think that is the case. The M2i's really DID sound harsh (mostly on cymbals) when I got them, but that harshness is completely gone now.

Is this a function of having metal drivers ? Assume it's the tweeter that needs to break in ?

Thoughts appreciated. I was torn between M2's and M22's -- almost tempted to order a pair of M22's so I can see if they sound harsh beside the M2s )

JB

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
Re: Breaking in speakers -- is it for real ?
#59709 09/04/04 02:57 AM
aficionado
aficionado
This has been discussed a decent amount around here. The majority here (including the all-mighty alan) think that it is your ears breaking in and not the speakers. There are some here who think the speaker breaks in though. Personally I don't care too much because they sounded good when I set them up and they continue to sound good

[black]-"The further we go and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."[/black]
#59710 09/04/04 03:16 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Thanks. I'll search around for the old threads.

My assumption was also "ears breaking in" but I have to admit to being surprised by how much the sound "seemed" to have changed. I know how much we can adapt to different frequency responses (although I waited 5 years and my previous speakers still sounded crappy ) but I didn't think the old ears could adapt to what really sounded like distortion.

The same cymbal crash, same track, same volume, same seating position (as much as possible) really does sound smoother now. Oh well, another stinkin' mystery.

Then again, my dogs really seem to hate the new speakers. Don't know if it's the M2s or the sub, or just that I'm listening to all my CDs again, and playing them at "listening volumes" rather than just as background.

As you said, what matters is whether they sound good... and they sound GREAT.

Thanks !!

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
#59711 09/04/04 06:17 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
it's your brain getting used to speakers, not the speakers sounding different over time.

same goes for amps, cd players, any kind of player, tuners, receivers, speaker cables, interconnects, and so on.

#59712 09/04/04 06:54 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
It's funny when one of the most respected speaker manufactures in the world talks about break in but then other "Experts" say it doesn't exist. I'm not sure I buy it either but B&W talks about it and say what you will about B&W but I doubt there is another speaker company in the world that spends more on R&D then they do. Why say it if it's not true? I doubt B&W is trying to get people to keep there speakers past the return period or any of the other lame excuses people throw out for company's who say they have a break in period. It makes you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmm just a little. I didn't even bring up the fact that Monitor Audio, Paradigm, Wilson and a host of other world class speaker manufactures also mention it.

In reply to:

Expect the sound of your speakers to improve during an initial listening period. The time varies depending on the type of speaker and how you use it.

The above is from B&W's site.

Do I dare bring up the fact that David Wilson who is considered a speaker guru by most thinks that speaker grills do make a difference on speaker response even though once again most "Experts" say they don't? Sorry but I can't keep track of what exactly an expert is anymore! lol :-)

#59713 09/04/04 07:46 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
In reply to:

The above is from B&W's site.

Do I dare bring up the fact that David Wilson who is considered a speaker guru by most thinks that speaker grills do make a difference on speaker response even though once again most "Experts" say they don't? Sorry but I can't keep track of what exactly an expert is anymore! lol :-)

The B&W quote is stating a fact. After listening to a speaker for a period of time, the sound will often improve. It's the buyer's perception of sound that matters. They don't tell you WHY the sound will improve. Their marketing department is smart. Would you buy a speaker that was marketed like this:

"If at first you think the sound from our speakers is lacking, just wait a while and your ears/brain will adjust to it."

No? I didn't think so.

And David Wilson is also stating a fact: speaker grilles DO make a difference, but In most cases we're talking fractions of a decibel which is inaudible to human ears.

#59714 09/04/04 09:06 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Well first I had to let the speakers match the humidity level of my home, use a moisture density guage calibrated for mdf with a vinyl bias to avoid any errors.

Then I had to determine the electrical flow in my home amd make sure that it was matched to the natural electronic shift patterns in the Axiom speakers. Be carefull with the QS speakers, they can be bothered by heat ducts in the winter and airconditioning ducts in the winter. If your house uses the same ductwork for both heating and cooling then of course the Dipolar-Degree factor takes over and everything is fine.

Prior to the first listening session the grills should be washed in luke warm water and allowed to dry before reassembling them in an inverted position.

Other than the above, it's pretty much a case of plug and play.

getting to 2,000 posts; one year at a time vp160/qs8/qs4/ep350/m60/m2200s
#59715 09/05/04 03:36 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
LOL

Hey, you know what? I hear Bose makes excellent speakers. Their website says so. Maybe I should go buy some and believe they are awesome and spend a fortune on them. Then, they will sound better to me.

Remember when cigarette companies told you cigs were good for you? There is such a thing called "The power of suggestion" and it is very, very powerful. It's the basis of advertising. McDonald's and the likes have made billions by 'suggesting' to people that everyone wants what they sell.

OK, I'll stop my rant now. I hope this doesn't start a major amount of posts!

#59716 09/05/04 03:53 AM
local
local
I think we can solve this argument for ever if we all just hang in there a few more pages worth!

I have been impressed with some peoples experiences of replacing busted tweeters and having to get (their brain?) broken in all over again to the new tweeter.

Plus most of the reviews that cover Axioms (M22s anyway) say there is a break in period for "metal Cones" or something like that. Different from paper or plastic type cones? I would think that professional reveiwers would not need 40 - 60 hours of brain break in time since they would have heard sharp detailed speakers before.

Plus, the guys who run their speakers while they are not home and then come back to hear something very different.

BUT - there is no scientific evidence for it and I would assume that it would be very easy and inexpensive to prove (or disprove?). Surely speaker companies measure this?

The guy who founded PSB speakers has been referenced - he measured the same speakers a decade or two apart and found very slight difference - not enough to change the sound after MANY years. But did he measure them new? I don't remember now.

M22s, QS4s, M2 center, Hsu stf-1.
#59717 09/05/04 03:55 AM
local
local
"The time varies according to the type of speaker..." They should have said according to your "ears and brain."

M22s, QS4s, M2 center, Hsu stf-1.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020