Re: OT-FOOTBALL
#60036 09/20/04 07:56 PM
B
bigjohn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
player8- odessa permian is the same team.. there is an odessa high broncos, but they have never been any good. the permain panthers are actually having one of their better years this year. they are undefeated, 4-0, with a bye next week, then they start their district schedule. i think they are getting a boost from the new movie mentioned in the prior post. they are no longer the powerhouse they used to be, but times, they are a change'in. my wife and i plan on driving out to odessa to watch them play this year. most of the 'biggies' now days, come from the dallas/ft worth metroplex or houston. there are just bigger, stronger kids in the cities.. well, at least more to choose from..

i have never heard of a team called "west cannon", at least not in texas.

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#60037 09/20/04 08:58 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I share your love of High School Football, John. How wonderful it is to see young people playing the game because they love it; not just for big bucks. The talent level may be less than pro ball, but the passion and effort is often superior, or, at least, is inspired by a nobler muse. And, the outcome is considerably less predictable, which can be a LOT of fun.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#60038 09/20/04 09:08 PM
aficionado
aficionado
John,

The West Cannon was a joke in reference to Varsity Blues. I am also waiting to see Friday Night Lights. I have been a fan since the first time I stepped foot on a football field(which was when I was a waterboy for the HS team when I was like 12) and will continue to do till the day I die. The comaraderie you recieve from joking, laughing, playing, crying, winning, and losing with your peers is something that I already miss even though I am only three years removed from high school. I bet it gets worse when you get older.

Oh well, hopefully my little cousins get the football bug as well so I can see them play.

#60039 09/20/04 09:30 PM
B
bigjohn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
player8- OH.. i totally missed the varsity blues thing.. i didnt care for that movie very much. it wasnt very well made. it took the worst possible stereotypes, and made the most non believable characters out of them. kinda like that movie "the program", loosely based on the florida state football program.. once again, bad movie, bad stereotypes. i am really hoping they dont make the same mistake with "friday night lights".

best football movies of all time.. of course "RUDY", then in no particular order.. "All the Right Moves", "Remember the Titans", "North Dallas Forty", "Brians Song", "The Longest Yard"...

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#60040 09/20/04 09:59 PM
buff
buff
Hey, BigWill -

Here's a belated congrats on yet another Bruins' conquest of my beloved (but futile) Fighting Illini a little over a week ago here in Champaign. I'm real tired of losing to UCLA (45-9 in the '84 Rose Bowl – yikes!, 6-3 in the '91 Sun Bowl – zzzzzz!, 6-3 last year - ugh!, and now 35-17), but I have to admit that seeing your team, the UCLA pep band, and several hundred baby blue-clad fans in Memorial Stadium was very cool indeed. I think UCLA's unis are some of the best in college football.

Maurice Drew is one awesome back! Very impressive!!!

Now, the jury is out on your win from the Illini being a "quality" win or not. You see, Illini football kinda sucks really bad right now (it hurts to admit this, but it's reality).

Again, congrats on the win, BigWill! This Illini fan will be rooting for the Bruins to have a great season.

#60041 09/21/04 09:47 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Oh Jack,

I don't want this to seem like piling-on or anything, but I also didn't want you to think that I neither cared nor noticed that both Kellen Winslow and Courtney Brown are badly hurt. That's gotta take the wind out of the Browns' sails.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#60042 09/21/04 10:57 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hey, Hey, Hey, how about them Bruins!?!? Looks like they may have some O, maybe someone can donate some D linemen?

My little brother was one of those Bruins fans in Illinois - his fiance is from Chicago. In the course of 3 consecutive days he took in a Cubs game at Wrigley, the Bruins vs Illinois, and the Bears vs whomever (at Soldier Field still?). He said it was awesome - particularly the trip to Wrigley. I don't know why, but I feel the same way about Wrigley. I'm not a Cubs fan, not even a real baseball fan, and never really been east of the Rockies, but Wrigley screams "Mom and apple pie" to me.

#60043 09/21/04 11:18 PM
axiomite
axiomite
LOL!
Starting TE, 1st round draft pick Kellen Winslow - out 8 to 10 weeks; broken leg - surgery today.
Starting DE, 1st round draft pick Courtney Brown - out for the season; torn foot ligament
Starting DT, 1st round draft pick Gerard Warren - out for 2 to 4 weeks; strained pectoral muscle.
Starting OL Ryan Tucker - out 2 to 4 weeks; strained right quadriceps.
Starting CB Daylon McCutcheon - day to day (might play this week); broken finger
Starting OL Paul Zukauskas - day to day (expected to play this week.......maybe); strained left knee

Previous injuries:

Starting RB Lee Suggs - day to day (didn't play in Dallas); neck stinger
Backup TE Steve Heiden - they're praying he can play for Winslow (I'll be surprised if he does); torn medial collateral ligament.
Backup DE Ebenezer Ekuban - day to day; groin

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#60044 09/22/04 03:30 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Yet, he continues to post that orange colored helmet all the time.

Jack, buddy, I say this as a fellow fan of historically wretched teams, go ahead and give up now. Assume the worst. Stick a fork in the Browns.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#60045 09/22/04 03:31 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Well, the birds pulled it out last night. Either their defense is better then I thought and had Moss covered or Minn. decided not to try to throw deep to him for some strange reason or a little bit of both.

I'm biased being in Philly, so I'll ask the general NFL fans opinion out there (try not to let team biases interfere).

Is there any team in the NFC that's as good as the Eagles this year?

Page 9 of 19 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 18 19

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters