OT-FOOTBALL
#59956 09/07/04 03:05 PM
B
bigjohn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
OK, OK..... i have waited long enough, and now the season is finally upon us!! could there possibly be ANYONE else as excited as i am that the season is about to begin. i swear, january to september seems like the longest part of my year.. no football = no fun!! but, that is all over as of thursday night.. and man did they give us a great opener.. colts -vs- the patriots.. this will be one explosive, high scoring game. i cant wait..

OK, i am done.. heres to all your respective teams doing well(except when they play the cowboys), and lets hope you all come up on the better side of your weekly bets..

OH, and to the rest of the fantasy football geeks like me, good luck. may you have an injury free season, and your players score like mad!!!

I AM READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL!!!!!

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
Re: OT-FOOTBALL
#59957 09/07/04 03:35 PM
S
veteran
veteran
S
Being from the Hoosier state, basketball comes first. Football is right behind though. I am a big Colt's fan and cannot wait until Thursday. HD game on ABC on my 61" Samsung and my Axiom audio setup will be great.

#59958 09/07/04 04:13 PM
veteran
veteran
Couldn't wait for this week to get here! Being from NE, I am, of course, a Patriots fan and as you might imagine am anxiously awaiting the title defense. Hoping it's not a repeat of two seasons ago when the Pats when 9-7 and finished out of the playoffs.

I am actually hoping that we don't see too many points on Thursday despite Tony Dungy doing his best on the competition committee to make it a flag football game!

I am sure Belichick has got a few things up his sleeve to keep Manning and co. under control. Really pumped about TE Ben Watson...with limited action in the preseason he's looking strangely reminiscent of Ben Coates. Dillon is a great pickup for this team as the running game was a weak spot.

Speaking of running games, Julius Jones looked good in the one Cowboys preseason game I checked out. Saw it on the NFL Network the other day. You know you've got a problem brewing when you catch yourself watching a replay of a preseason game!

#59959 09/07/04 04:18 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Ah, Eric, I guess I'm obliged to hate you as I am a Dolphins fan. After what Ricky pulled I might just become a Pats fan...

#59960 09/07/04 04:43 PM
B
bigjohn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
eric- yes, julies jones has looked very good in the pre season. but, you also have to keep in mind, by the time he got in, it was 2nd and 3rd team defenses.. but thats not to say he still has some skills.. he sat out the last pre season game due to some nagging injuries, but will suit up on sunday against the vikings. i see him coming in and giving eddie george some relief every once and a while in the early part of the season, but he will eventually be in the starting role, and eddie will be the 3rd down back.

and if you like your TE in NE, then keep your eye on jason whitten in dallas.. this is his 2nd year, and he has got game.. parcells cant say anough about the guy, and his toughness.. he actually got his jaw broke in a hit last year, and played the next game with his jaw still wired shut eating his meals thru a straw.. now thats heart!!!

i picked up dillon on one of my fantasy leagues.. i hope he pays off.. there is still a question mark there, but it is a successful team, so chances are he will have a great chance to do some good.

bigjohn

#59961 09/07/04 05:00 PM
local
local
Big John, Good luck to you too, every week but the first one. It will be fun to see the Cowboys on Sunday. We've got high expectations for our Vikes up here. With a high powered offense, suspect defense, and a questionable kicking game I'm looking forward to those 45-42 nail biters. With 4-month old twins in my house I'm forgoing Fantasy Ball this fall and I'm already missing it. They do have matching Vikes outfits for Sunday afternoons and I'm looking forward to settling in with 2 boys, 2 bottles of milk, and a few bottles of something stronger come Sunday.

M22's, VP150, QS4's, HK 630, HSU VTF3-MKII
#59962 09/07/04 05:08 PM
veteran
veteran
It will be interesting to see how they use Dillon. I think the Pats offense will revolve around Brady spreading the ball around. The o-line hasn't got me convinced that it can be a great run blocking unit, but perhaps Corey hitting the holes faster and harder than Antoine Smith did will make them look better. Perhaps you should play Dillon only when the Pats are up against a sub-par run defense.

It looks like Parcells is well on his way to remaking that Cowboys roster. Same formula he always uses..tough guys top to bottom.

#59963 09/07/04 05:16 PM
veteran
veteran
Defense still looks good though, despite trading Ogunleye. And you won't be in NE in December this year so no snow bowl.

btw, you don't want to hate me. You want to hate the Jets!

#59964 09/07/04 05:49 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Go Browns! (Problem is, one just can't tell where they're going. My suspicion is NOWHERE! DRAT! )

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#59965 09/07/04 07:06 PM
L
connoisseur
connoisseur
L
This might just be Butch Davis'last hurrah. Couch was a disaster for the Brownies.

#59966 09/07/04 07:08 PM
L
connoisseur
connoisseur
L
Are there any Packer fans here?

#59967 09/07/04 07:20 PM
B
bigjohn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
with a guy like brett favre running the ship, how can you not like the packers!!

there franchise is what pro sports should be all about. they have loyalty to their community, their players, and their fans. and likewise, the fans and players have loyalty to the team. there just seems to be a connection with that team that no other team in pro sports has. it is a business, but they make it seem more like a family.

my wife and i are trying to get tickets to see the packers play the texans in houston later this year. i have never got to see brett play, and this might be my last chance. who knows if he will retire or not, but i dont want to take that chance. the NFL, and sports in general will lose one of its greatest athletes when he retires. they broke the mold after he was made, and there will NEVER be another like him.

bigjohn

#59968 09/07/04 07:27 PM
local
local
Gotta like Favre, but the Pack not a chance, at least not until they win the division and the Vikes are sent home. My most endearing dog trick is to ask my dog "what would you rather be a Packer fan or dead". She drops like a rock. Annoys the hell our of my Pack-fan father-in-law. Go Vikes!

#59969 09/07/04 07:39 PM
S
veteran
veteran
S
BigJohn,

The difference with the Packers is that they are community owned. The fans are stockholders. Only team in the NFL I believe and maybe the only in professional sports. I live in Northeast Indiana, but there is a huge Packer fan base.

I am a Colts and Bears fan, but you are right. How can you dislike the Packers with Brett Favre? A friend of mine moved down from Janesville, WI. Works for GM. Once in a while he scores tickets to a game. Nothing like a game at Lambeau. I only root against them when they play the Bears or Colts.

#59970 09/07/04 09:48 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Me too, BigJohn. Though I loathe their colors (barf green, and baby poop yellow - with apologies for any offense to Packer's fans), I love that the team is owned by this small community, and everybody heartily supports the team and it's players. It sure beats the "big markets get to win all the time" structure of most pro sports.

Jack

#59971 09/07/04 10:08 PM
veteran
veteran
Yes, I agree. The Yankees do suck.

I very much like the way GB is owned by the fans. The team should be about the community and the way their ownership is structured it will likely always remain that way. I wonder how the guys over in the politics thread would view this obvious communist plot to infiltrate our beloved NFL! Just kidding of course...I don't want to get those guys too riled up or the posts will start flying.

btw Jack, although the Pack's colors are tough on the eyes, I'm not sure the Browns unis are much of a fashion statement either! Brown and orange???

#59972 09/07/04 10:18 PM
L
connoisseur
connoisseur
L
I grew up in Wisconsin and all my childhood friends were caught up in the Lombardi years glory. I really wasn't a fan, but I pretended to be since all my friends were. Just hanging with the guys, I suppose. Something like the axiom board. My family later moved to Minnesota and everyone there was into the "Vikes" thing. I was a junior in high school and it appeared to me that some of my new classmates were a bit over zealous in there fanatacism regarding the local NFL franchise. I guess I didn't quite get it. It was then that I started to pull for their hated rivals. I guess I like rooting for the underdog, and in the 1970's the Packers were the underdog.

#59973 09/07/04 11:14 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

btw Jack, although the Pack's colors are tough on the eyes, I'm not sure the Browns unis are much of a fashion statement either! Brown and orange???

LOL! I figured that would come up, and you'll get no argument from me. Orange has NEVER been one of my favorite colors. The "brown" is OK, but it's hard to reproduce correctly on TV (though, with the newer sets, that's getting better now). Though I'm basically a traditionalist, I wouldn't mind replacing the orange with gold, or something that would work better with the brown. I do like the uniqueness of having no helmet logo, particularly since I find most of them (with some exceptions) kinda silly. I can't even figure out what some of them are. And, while many of them look good close up, at a distance they are indecipherable.

Jack

#59974 09/08/04 01:10 AM
veteran
veteran
Weird helmet logos? You mean like the Flying Elvii?

(Readers of Gregg Easterbrook will know what I am referencing).

Actually I don't think gold and brown would be a good combo..they would look like a bunch of UPS guys!

Side note - does anyone read Easterbrook's TMQ columns? Very funny stuff, but in this column he has a section titled "It's Like Playing an Ad for Bose Speakers Over an AM Transistor Radio". What Mr. Easterbrook fails to understand is that there isn't much difference between listening to Bose and that little transistor radio! Seriously, this is one guy in need of a set of Axioms.

#59975 09/08/04 01:33 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Actually, I like the Pat's logo. It's certainly a large step up from the patriot bent over in a 3 point stance they used to have.

In reply to:

Actually I don't think gold and brown would be a good combo..they would look like a bunch of UPS guys!

LOL! Perhaps, but not necessarily. It would depend how it was done. New Orleans is gold and black, and they look pretty good.

Jack

#59976 09/08/04 02:12 AM
veteran
veteran
Yeah, the Saints look is good. But not gold and brown. How about brown and...hmmm, let me think about this for awhile. Can I get back to you?

Come to think of it, brown and gold would definitely not be cool. It would sort of be like a washed out version of the Steelers. And they're washed out as it is!

You mean you don't like the old "Pat Patriot" logo?

He was the face of a losing franchise. But looking back on it now, I kind of like him (suppose he reminds me of my childhood in a way). I think Pat Patriot logo gear is pretty popular stuff in the Patriots pro shop, along with all the throwback jerseys of guys like Steve Nelson, John Hannah, and Steve Grogan.

#59977 09/08/04 02:43 AM
B
old hand
old hand
B
Wisconsin born and raised. I've been a Packer fan since I could see. I love to hear all the pro-Packer sentiments here.

I think I speak for a lot of Packer fans when I say that we truly appreciate where our franchise has come from, and recognize that there's nothing else like it in professional sports. If you've never been to Green Bay, I'd at least recommend a pass-through. If you think your town lives for your football team, you need to at least see it. Green Bay IS Packers football.

Good luck to all of your favorite teams this year (except maybe those Vikes ).

Go Packers and Go Badgers,
Scott

-------------------------------------------------
M60s, VP150 and QS8s (2)
Powered by Denon
#59978 09/08/04 04:35 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Going back to ur first post BigJohn I have to agree, thank godness its sept!

I watch the NFL but Colledge Football is much more fun to me. Anyone else out there a passionate CFB fan?

I wish baseball would just end first week of sept too, gah~

#59979 09/08/04 05:17 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Though I enjoy both, I enjoy college ball more than pro ball (huge Ohio State Buckeye fan). It's a little more unpredictable; a little less cut and dried.

Ohio State's national championship victory in the Fiesta Bowl a couple of years ago, arguably the best national championship game ever, gave me my finest moment in sports. I'll never forget it.

Jack

#59980 09/08/04 01:48 PM
B
bigjohn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

Anyone else out there a passionate CFB fan?

i am passionate about ALL football.

i have season tickets on the 48 yeard-line for my local high school team. my family has been buying the tickets since 1985. so we go to their games on friday nights. we go to the games of our local college team, which are usually at 2 pm on saturdays. and then NFL, all day sunday.. it never stops.

thankfully, my wife is understanding of my 'football disease', so she just kinda lets me do my thing. she loves the game also, just not as crazy as me. we try and go to at least 1 or 2 cowboys games every year, and we want to go to houston to see the 'new' texans. we also like to catch at least one UT longhorns game, but their tickets are soo expensive.

this is most definitely my favorite time of the year, and i cant wait to get the season started tomorrow night. get the beer on ice, unplug the phone, make up some queso, and let the party begin.

bigjohn

#59981 09/09/04 03:46 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
So is UT gonna beat OU this year? hehe

I have to say that Miami/OSU game was pretty damn good. As a Husker fan its my duty to dispise Miami, so even since I'm not a big fan of any Big10 team I was happy to see OSU pull it out.

#59982 09/09/04 04:24 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

I have to say that Miami/OSU game was pretty damn good.

Well it certainly wasn't DULL!

Jack

#59983 09/09/04 04:45 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Of course my personal fav title game was 95 Feista Bowl, NU vs Florida. But I could see how that might not be as apealing to some as it was to me.

#59984 09/09/04 05:03 PM
B
bigjohn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

So is UT gonna beat OU this year? hehe

i hope so.. the 'red river classic' is probably the most pumped up game in the state of texas every year. they have that game in the cotton bowl during the texas state fair. the cotton bowl is actually ON the state fairgrounds, so it gets pretty crazy. half stadium red, half burnt orange.. you could split the colors in the endzone with a knife. OU has whipped our tails the last few years, really bad.. so i hope mack brown has an answer for those sooners this year.

ya'll be on the watch for UT running back Cedric Benson this year.. heismann candidate, great runner.. he played high school ball for the midland lee rebels, who play in the same district as our local team.. cedric led them to 3 consecutive texas 5A championship titles.. i been watching this kid run since he was 15 years old, so i am really pulling for him.. gotta support your local guys!!

bigjohn

#59985 09/09/04 05:09 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Ya I know the OU UT rivalry well. Up here in Husker teritory its all about knowing thy enemy.

I don't want to make predictions this early, maybe after the UT Arkansas game we'll know a little more about UT. That quarterback however is a nitemare to defenses, esp with Benson. Then you got that defense which could be one of the better defenses UT has had in recent years desite the losses to the D-line (I think it was if mem serves).

I'm hopeful NU can surprise ppl this year. With a totally new coaching staff and an even newer offensive scheme it will be hard to say if they can make it to the North Div title, but if so there is no doubt they would be facing OU or UT this year.

#59986 09/09/04 05:32 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
bigjohn, you are a lucky man, indeed. And wise to appreciate your luck. I'm happy that friends like you get to fully indulge the football passion. I try to sneak it in between other parts of life.

The Seattle Seahawks are promising this year. It's kind of brutal, because it is really less stressful when you know your team is going to be crappy. Not much stress over the last 20 years in Seattle. The new stadium is nice, but not as wonderful as Safeco Field (where the Mariners play) right across the street.

The Washington Huskies look horrible, which is a change. Again, lovely stadium - one of the best in college football - right on the shores of Lake Washington. Nothing can compare to those SEC and Big Ten rivalries. It's just to fricken wet in Seattle to get terribly emotional at a football game.

What's the board over/under on how long Ajax can stand the shame of continuing to use that Browns helmet in his sig? I'll take 5 weeks.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#59987 09/09/04 06:17 PM
B
bigjohn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

What's the board over/under on how long Ajax can stand the shame of continuing to use that Browns helmet in his sig? I'll take 5 weeks

i say ONE week, cause the ravens are gonna make them look bad this weekend. jamal lewis will get 200 yds rushing, and still have time to meet with his probation officer during the 4th quarter.. hehe..

i like the seahawks this year.. i think they have a great chance to go 11-5, or 12-4 maybe.. they will definitely make the playoffs, but they still need to prove they can win in the playoffs.. just getting there aint gonna cut it. i have darrell jackson on one of my fantasy teams, so i hope him and hasselback hook-up all season!!

you mention their stadium.. my wife and i made a list of NFL stadiums we would like to go see a game in.. the seattle stadium was in the top 5.. i think the order was,

1- lambeau field.
2- reliant stadium(houston)
3- the new one in mile high.
4- heinz field(pittsburgh)
5- and the new one in seattle.

we think the new field in philly looks really nice, but we hate the eagles, so they are out!!!

looks like we have a hell of a roadtrip someday!!!

bigjohn

#59988 09/09/04 06:39 PM
axiomite
axiomite
LOL! OK! Both you guys! Go bite the big lebowski! May both your teams discover new turnover ratios in favor of the opposition.

Actually I was giving the helmet about 3 weeks. One humiliation by that-team-that-shall-remain-nameless is nothing new, so It'll be up longer than one week. However when it comes down. It won't be because of "shame." It'll be because of disappointment. I'm never ashamed to display my allegiance to the Browns.

I know their success is ancient history, but at least my team HAS a history, and a proud one to boot. I was privileged to sit in the old Municipal stadium and watch, arguably, the best ever, Jim Brown, run over everybody he faced. It was a thrill.

I sincerely hope you both have things like that to think about when you're my age. However. Currently being a Cleveland sports fan has given new meaning to the term "long-suffering."

Jack

#59989 09/09/04 06:41 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
You should come to Seattle in September sometime - we would have a great time. You could catch a Seahawks game and a Mariners game if you planned it right. The weather is usually very nice until early October.

Seahawks Stadium (recently renamed to Qwest Field - ugh) is a good place to watch a game. It is right downtown, so depending upon your seat, you can see the skyline, ferries going back and forth across Elliott Bay, the sunset, etc. The sightlines are good; since the stadium was built for football, the field is close. We sit high on about the 15 yard line, but I still have a good view. There are plenty of facilities, but since beers are $7, you don't have to worry about it too much. Food is competent if unspectacular, and also extortion-priced. You can bring in food in clear plastic containers.

The Seahawk offense looks pretty good, alright. Hope can be a dangerous thing.

#59990 09/09/04 06:50 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
You want me to bite Jeff Bridges?

I envy your moments of seeing Jim Brown. You'll get no argument from me about his football talent. Beyond compare.

Sporting events do have a way of crystallizing and enobling certain memories, while also retaining their historical perspective. The sensory and emotional joy possible in such instances, and the shared nature of those experiences, makes them very powerful.

Well, and the beer, of course.

#59991 09/09/04 06:53 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I want you to bite ANY bridge! That'll teach ya!

Jack

#59992 09/09/04 09:12 PM
shareholder in the making
Careful now! Some bridges bite back:

Exhibit A: Bridge from Metallica's Creeping Death (A wonderful song about the Old Testament story of the plagues brought upon Egypt)

Die by my hand
I creep across the land
killing first-born man

#59993 09/09/04 09:13 PM
DIE!

DIE!

DIE!

DIE!

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#59994 09/09/04 09:21 PM
B
bigjohn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
well, since we have swung this back to music... is anyone else as mortified as i am with the 'NFL Kickoff' musical line-up? elton john, toby keith, jessica simpson, destiny's child? BLAH!!! i am gonna puke....

the only true talent there is elton john, the rest represent the worst aspects of the music industry today. the beginning of the end is here.. the NFL has officially, SOLD-OUT!!!

bigjohn

#59995 09/09/04 09:23 PM
Funny, I thought that happened at least a few years ago when Aerosmith shared the stage with the Backstreet Boys. And a song. barf.

#59996 09/09/04 09:29 PM
B
bigjohn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
good point, i forgot about that one..

i cant wait to see what they have in store for us this year at the super bowl halftime.. i would bet its long sleeves and turtle necks!!

bigjohn

#59997 09/09/04 09:31 PM
You been reading Tank McNamara this week? They're riffing on that one...

#59998 09/09/04 11:31 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Well, those Cowboys might as well give up now cause the Eagles are taking the division again this year. It looks like the Cowgirls are dropping to 3rd behind the Birds and then the Skins.

At least Quincy Carter kept the drug addict tradition alive down there in Dallas before he got cut.

#59999 09/10/04 04:48 AM
B
bigjohn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

You been reading Tank McNamara this week?

actually, no.. i didnt even know what that was til i googled it. the local paper doesn't have that comic strip. its funny though.. looks like i aint the only one who has thought about another boob popping out.

zarak- cowboys definitely have some probs, but i aint ready to throw in the towel just yet. their defense is still one of the best in the league, and the offense will move the ball. the question mark is vinny, and his durability. if the O-line can keep him from getting hit too much, i think he will throw darts from the pocket all day..then, get george and jones trading off carries, and we will be just fine.

and as for the skins, its nice to see another person jumpin on the band wagon. dont get too excited about them. i dont think they are gonna be 'all that'.

bigjohn

#60000 09/10/04 02:23 PM
veteran
veteran
BigJohn - Gillette stadium is nice. Look at the great seats these people got.

#60001 09/10/04 05:08 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
OK football fans. Lemme here your thoughts.

I'm not a huge fan, but can appreciate the game. My wife is actually a bigger sports fan than me (watches ESPN, PTI, 30 sec drill and listens to sports radio). Yeah, I know it's wasted on me... Usually she helps me w/ my pix but no time today, especially hard w/ the first week of the season.

Here's the deal. I'm in a HUGE elmination pool. Pick one loser a week. If that team wins, you're out. If they lose, you come back the next week. Last man standing wins the pot. It's a $100 a slot, so I'm in for $200. Last year we had over 400 entries. You do the math...

The only big spreads I see are Arizona and Giants to lose. Anyone have better slam dunks than those?

#60002 09/10/04 05:24 PM
B
bigjohn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
arizona will lose to the rams, big time.. thats a shoe in pick..

also, the browns will lose to the ravens.. and i am pretty sure the chargers will lose to the texans.. but, the first pick is much more safe.. take the cardinals to lose in a landslide.. it wont even be close..

lets just hope i dont end up eating my words..? oh well, its not my money

bigjohn

#60003 09/10/04 10:07 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Tom, have to think the Seahawks will be good this year, they just have to learn how to win on the road.

Too bad about the Mariners this year, but I'm pretty excited. After cleaning out their bullpen, they've got a couple of young pitchers in there that I've watched a lot in independent ball (Northern League) George Sherrill and Bobby Madritsch. The Mariners poor showing has been a great opportunity for these guys. I hope they continue to do well and are apart of the youth resurgence there.

"Chickens don't clap."
#60004 09/10/04 11:12 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'm sorry I missed the brief discussion of college football.
Big, big, big Bruins fan. Looks like another mediocre season unfortunately, but that's alright. You don't have to go undefeated to love the games, eh?
How about those thugs playing at the Univ of Hawaii? Melees after every game I saw last year.

#60005 09/10/04 11:34 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
osb - I like Arizona to lose, too. Also, I'm thinking that New Orleans loses convincingly to Seattle. The Seattle morning sportsradio show had a sportwriter from New Orleans on this today, and he was absolutely convinced that the Saints could not win this game and would be lucky to salvage 6-7 wins this year.

Scott - I like Madritsch a lot. Sherrill looked pretty good too. It is kind of a shame to be rooting for "potential" instead of "wins" at the moment, though.

Mark, do the Brewins still wear those powder blue uniforms? Have they ever been any good since Neuheisel was their QB? When was the last time they beat USC? Just giving you crap - I know the Huskies are going to bottom-out this year, and I want to enjoy myself while I can.

#60006 09/10/04 11:36 PM
Ah yes, the baby Bears. I wish Cal was better so I could be more condescending...

#60007 09/11/04 12:08 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Ken, I thought Cal was going to be uber-groovy this year? Aren't they the consensus pick for 2nd place in the Pac 10?

#60008 09/11/04 12:12 AM
Hey sweet! No, I'm working off of past experience. Shows how well I follow my alma mater...

#60009 09/12/04 08:34 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Cleveland Browns: 20
Baltimore Ravens: 3

In reply to:

TomTuttle: What's the board over/under on how long Ajax can stand the shame of continuing to use that Browns helmet in his sig? I'll take 5 weeks.

Well you're still in the running Tom. But:

In reply to:

BigJohn: "i say ONE week, cause the ravens are gonna make them look bad this weekend. jamal lewis will get 200 yds rushing, and still have time to meet with his probation officer during the 4th quarter. hehe.."

Jamal Lewis: 20 rushes for 57 yards.

WELL, John! How would you like your humble pie served? With a dash of humiliation, or a soupçon of embarrassment. Nyah Nyah Nyah Nyah Nyah Nyah!!!!!!

It was a heck of a defensive struggle! Our defense won the game for us with two interceptions and one HUGE fumble caused by DE Kenard Lang when he slapped the ball out of QB Kyle Boller's hand at the Baltimore 6 yard line, and recovered the ball himself.

The Browns' offense was non-existent for 3 quarters, but they must have put some different guys in the same old uniforms for the 4th quarter, cuz they suddenly came to life. We ended up with a rousing 85 yards total rushing. Garcia was 15 of 24 for 180 yards with one TD, and no INTs.

But, the Defense was wonderful. Jamal Lewis was held in check with some terrific gang tackling. The Ravens had a total of 88 yards rushing. Boller was 22 of 38 for 191 yards, with 0 TDs, and 2 INTs.

All in all, a decent performance, with PLENTY of room for offensive improvement.

Jack

#60010 09/12/04 11:17 PM
Hey Bigjohn, I like the Cowboys, but like the Vikings better

Score right now Vikings 35 Boys 17 2 minutes to go in the game....sory big guy John....Randy

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

#60011 09/13/04 12:09 AM
C
connoisseur
connoisseur
C
Jack - I assume you are enjoying the Browns being undefeated for the first time since Modell moved the old Browns ?

#60012 09/13/04 01:05 AM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

Jack - I assume you are enjoying the Browns being undefeated for the first time since Modell moved the old Browns?

Understatement of the century! It sure was sweet to beat the loud-mouthed bums (with all due respect, and apologies, to any Ravens fans here) Since Ohio State squeaked by a VERY good Marshall team, it's been a WONDERFUL football weekend.

Jack

#60013 09/13/04 01:19 AM
C
connoisseur
connoisseur
C
As a life - long Browns fan, I look at this as the Browns having 15 more weeks to let us down...

#60014 09/13/04 02:08 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Be optimistic. Look at it as one less week they can let us down.

Jack

#60015 09/13/04 03:24 AM
Jack, since you're right there, I'd appreciate it if the next time you were by the stadium you'd put in my order for Super Bowl tickets.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#60016 09/13/04 03:28 AM
axiomite
axiomite

Jack

#60017 09/13/04 04:42 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
When I saw the Brown/Raven score I imediately thought of this thread.

Well my Vikings won big wuwu~

But my Huskers lost, at home even, er shall I say they beat themselvesm 5 turnovers that lead to virtually all of So Miss's points. /cry

Life goes on... barely

#60018 09/13/04 05:15 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I feel for you, INANE. Things will get better quickly. Did you see how many plays Callahan already has on his playsheet?! He can't expect the guys to know them all already, can he?

And yes, Tom, the gutty little Bruins are still wearing that beautiful powder blue - the most beautiful uniforms in all of sport. Remember '98? The Cade McNown Bruins were robbed of a chance to play for the nat'l title by terrible officiating down in Miami (and the inability to tackle an awesome back).

#60019 09/13/04 02:05 PM
B
bigjohn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
hey jack- i can handle some humble pie!!

i kept seeing that score updated on the bottom line, and was thinkin' something was wrong. me, and the entire football watching world, thought the reavens were gonna roll. but, give credit to the browns def, they did shut lewis down, so they deserve all the credit they get.

it hurts to see my cowboys get whupped like that. their defense failed them. allowing 5 TD catches is unacceptable.. i hope parcells gets a fire under their a$$e$ this week.. home opener against, you guessed it, da browns!!

lots of great opening week performances. great day of football, and more to come tonight. if this is any indication, its gonna be a great season.

bigjohn

#60020 09/13/04 04:44 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

hey jack- i can handle some humble pie!!

And graciously, as usual. I knew you would, or I'd 've never said anything.

In reply to:

i kept seeing that score updated on the bottom line, and was thinkin' something was wrong.

ME TOO! When the Ravens tied it at 3 apiece, I figured "Well, here we go. It's tank time!" But they didn't tank. They held tough. Very surprising, but even more gratifying, to thump the bad guys.

Funny thing is, last year Jamal Lewis predicted he'd break the rushing record against us. And, HE DID. This year, Kenard Lang (Browns DE) predicted Lewis would NOT "break through the front four." And, HE DIDN'T. Go figure! It used to be that when a player opened his big mouth and gave the other team some bulletin board material, it usually worked against his own team. Now it's the other way 'round. DOH!

And, yes. Although I don't really expect the Browns to do anything, it could shape up to be an interesting year. Good luck to your team (except this week, of course )

Jack

#60021 09/13/04 08:58 PM
devotee
devotee
In reply to:

arizona will lose to the rams, big time.. thats a shoe in pick..

also, the browns will lose to the ravens.. and i am pretty sure the chargers will lose to the texans.. but, the first pick is much more safe.. take the cardinals to lose in a landslide.. it wont even be close..

lets just hope i dont end up eating my words..? oh well, its not my money

bigjohn

I hope you didn't put any money on those games, John. Who do you like this weekend...so I can bet on the other team

Mark

"Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff"
#60022 09/13/04 09:29 PM
B
bigjohn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
thats why you notice i put, "its not my money"..

this was a great week for football.. i entered in a pigskin pick em this week, and won $40 bucks.. i picked every game correctly, except for two.. the browns game, and the houston game.. well, i also picked the packers to win tonight, so we will see how that goes..

so if you are a betting man.. put your money on the carolina panthers

bigjohn

#60023 09/13/04 09:57 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I took the Giants and Cardinals to lose. I'm still alive...

#60024 09/14/04 03:11 AM
B
bigjohn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
GOOD, thanks for not listening to me!!

i wish you the same luck next week!!

bigjohn

#60025 09/20/04 05:31 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
All I got to say is wow...

Bears 21, Pack 10... AT Lambo

Intersting note, a former Husker (A Green) fumbles at the 2 and another former Husker (M Brown) picks up the ball and runs it 95 yards for a reverse score. Dammit I knew I shouldn't have turned the game off to go mow the lawn. :P

MIN vs PHI monday nite should be a good one.

#60026 09/20/04 01:09 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'm pumped for tonight. Should be a good game and a high scoring affair. 31-27 Eagles!

#60027 09/20/04 01:22 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Well BigJohn, you're team outplayed mine, but neither has much of which to be proud. For awhile in the fourth quarter it looked like "we don't wanna win, here, you take the ball." "No, WE don't wanna win, you take the ball." "Nah, don't be silly. Here. You take it." "NO, YOU TAKE IT." Not the best football I've seen. But, congratulations anyway.

Jack

#60028 09/20/04 03:01 PM
B
bigjohn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
agreed.. the whole turnover deal was just getting out of hand.. and the cowboys started sooo strong, i just thought they were gonna march it up and down, but it was not to be. i was getting very frustrated cause the cowboys had several chances to put the game away late, and kept giving the browns a second, and third, and fourth chance to catch up. thats not how you get in the playoffs. vinny needs to quit with all these interceptions. i am losing years on my life from the stress!!

should be awseome game tonight. i got minn 34, philly 24.

BTW- our local high school team, who was 0-2, beat the 14th ranked team in the state on friday night 27-10. great game, with great special teams play.. the kicker made a 52 and a 38 yard field goals, and the punter had two punts over 60 yards..

bigjohn

#60029 09/20/04 04:26 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Big John, what division do your boys play in? When I first saw 14th I immediately thought 14th in the nation nad had thought your team beat Katy.

#60030 09/20/04 05:43 PM
local
local
Tonight Vikes 37 Philly 31. What happened to the Packers yesterday? Didn't get to see any football as we were out of town.

#60031 09/20/04 06:49 PM
B
bigjohn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
player8- the central high bobcats play in the 2-5A district here in texas. they beat the abilene cooper cougars, who were the 14th state ranked 5A team before the game. obviously, not anymore.

that was my bobcats first win of the season, so it was a biggie. there first two loses came to the 8th ranked team in the state, and the 16th ranked team in the state. so, i would say they have been up against some great competition.

katy is a 5A powerhouse.. along with southlake carroll, lufkin, galena park north shore, and converse judson.

bigjohn

#60032 09/20/04 07:19 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Now, there's a true football fanatic - trying to get the rest of us interested in Texas High School football. Keep trying, bigjohn.

I've said it before - I'm so pleased that you are able to feed that passion.

btw, Seahawks are 2-0 after consecutive road wins all the way across the country in N'awlins and Tampa. Oooh baby.

And Bigwill's UCLA Brewins trounced the Washington Huskies (now 0-2) on Saturday. Lumps taken. Huskies are going to be dreadful this year, I'm afraid.

#60033 09/20/04 07:28 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The Eagles D might not be as good as last year after losing both corners, but I don't think they've gotten bad enough to give up 37 to anyone. We'll see in 5.5 hours (can you tell I'm anxious for kickoff?)

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!

#60034 09/20/04 07:35 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I've heard of Abilene, they are usually a pretty good team. What happened to ole Odessa and Permian? What about West Cannon?

#60035 09/20/04 07:49 PM
B
bigjohn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

trying to get the rest of us interested in Texas High School football

hey, its the best football in the land.. at least in my opinion!!

there is a new movie coming out on October 8th called, "Friday Night Lights". it is based off a non-fiction book by HG Bissinger, detailing the 1988 state championship football season of the permian panthers, from odessa, texas. this is a must read book for anyone who has ever touched foot on a football field. it is a very unique and honest look into the lives of every player on that field. and how the game of football can unify or divide an entire town. it is THE book that explains the passion that every texan has for high school football.

i cant say how the movie is gonna be, but by the looks of the trailer, it think it will be pretty good. the movie was filmed on location ,in odessa, and used locals for a lot of the scenes in the movie. if you dont care for the movie, then read the book. and you will understand why my passion is so strong.

bigjohn

#60036 09/20/04 07:56 PM
B
bigjohn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
player8- odessa permian is the same team.. there is an odessa high broncos, but they have never been any good. the permain panthers are actually having one of their better years this year. they are undefeated, 4-0, with a bye next week, then they start their district schedule. i think they are getting a boost from the new movie mentioned in the prior post. they are no longer the powerhouse they used to be, but times, they are a change'in. my wife and i plan on driving out to odessa to watch them play this year. most of the 'biggies' now days, come from the dallas/ft worth metroplex or houston. there are just bigger, stronger kids in the cities.. well, at least more to choose from..

i have never heard of a team called "west cannon", at least not in texas.

#60037 09/20/04 08:58 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I share your love of High School Football, John. How wonderful it is to see young people playing the game because they love it; not just for big bucks. The talent level may be less than pro ball, but the passion and effort is often superior, or, at least, is inspired by a nobler muse. And, the outcome is considerably less predictable, which can be a LOT of fun.

Jack

#60038 09/20/04 09:08 PM
aficionado
aficionado
John,

The West Cannon was a joke in reference to Varsity Blues. I am also waiting to see Friday Night Lights. I have been a fan since the first time I stepped foot on a football field(which was when I was a waterboy for the HS team when I was like 12) and will continue to do till the day I die. The comaraderie you recieve from joking, laughing, playing, crying, winning, and losing with your peers is something that I already miss even though I am only three years removed from high school. I bet it gets worse when you get older.

Oh well, hopefully my little cousins get the football bug as well so I can see them play.

#60039 09/20/04 09:30 PM
B
bigjohn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
player8- OH.. i totally missed the varsity blues thing.. i didnt care for that movie very much. it wasnt very well made. it took the worst possible stereotypes, and made the most non believable characters out of them. kinda like that movie "the program", loosely based on the florida state football program.. once again, bad movie, bad stereotypes. i am really hoping they dont make the same mistake with "friday night lights".

best football movies of all time.. of course "RUDY", then in no particular order.. "All the Right Moves", "Remember the Titans", "North Dallas Forty", "Brians Song", "The Longest Yard"...

bigjohn

#60040 09/20/04 09:59 PM
buff
buff
Hey, BigWill -

Here's a belated congrats on yet another Bruins' conquest of my beloved (but futile) Fighting Illini a little over a week ago here in Champaign. I'm real tired of losing to UCLA (45-9 in the '84 Rose Bowl – yikes!, 6-3 in the '91 Sun Bowl – zzzzzz!, 6-3 last year - ugh!, and now 35-17), but I have to admit that seeing your team, the UCLA pep band, and several hundred baby blue-clad fans in Memorial Stadium was very cool indeed. I think UCLA's unis are some of the best in college football.

Maurice Drew is one awesome back! Very impressive!!!

Now, the jury is out on your win from the Illini being a "quality" win or not. You see, Illini football kinda sucks really bad right now (it hurts to admit this, but it's reality).

Again, congrats on the win, BigWill! This Illini fan will be rooting for the Bruins to have a great season.

#60041 09/21/04 09:47 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Oh Jack,

I don't want this to seem like piling-on or anything, but I also didn't want you to think that I neither cared nor noticed that both Kellen Winslow and Courtney Brown are badly hurt. That's gotta take the wind out of the Browns' sails.

#60042 09/21/04 10:57 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hey, Hey, Hey, how about them Bruins!?!? Looks like they may have some O, maybe someone can donate some D linemen?

My little brother was one of those Bruins fans in Illinois - his fiance is from Chicago. In the course of 3 consecutive days he took in a Cubs game at Wrigley, the Bruins vs Illinois, and the Bears vs whomever (at Soldier Field still?). He said it was awesome - particularly the trip to Wrigley. I don't know why, but I feel the same way about Wrigley. I'm not a Cubs fan, not even a real baseball fan, and never really been east of the Rockies, but Wrigley screams "Mom and apple pie" to me.

#60043 09/21/04 11:18 PM
axiomite
axiomite
LOL!
Starting TE, 1st round draft pick Kellen Winslow - out 8 to 10 weeks; broken leg - surgery today.
Starting DE, 1st round draft pick Courtney Brown - out for the season; torn foot ligament
Starting DT, 1st round draft pick Gerard Warren - out for 2 to 4 weeks; strained pectoral muscle.
Starting OL Ryan Tucker - out 2 to 4 weeks; strained right quadriceps.
Starting CB Daylon McCutcheon - day to day (might play this week); broken finger
Starting OL Paul Zukauskas - day to day (expected to play this week.......maybe); strained left knee

Previous injuries:

Starting RB Lee Suggs - day to day (didn't play in Dallas); neck stinger
Backup TE Steve Heiden - they're praying he can play for Winslow (I'll be surprised if he does); torn medial collateral ligament.
Backup DE Ebenezer Ekuban - day to day; groin

Jack

#60044 09/22/04 03:30 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Yet, he continues to post that orange colored helmet all the time.

Jack, buddy, I say this as a fellow fan of historically wretched teams, go ahead and give up now. Assume the worst. Stick a fork in the Browns.

#60045 09/22/04 03:31 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Well, the birds pulled it out last night. Either their defense is better then I thought and had Moss covered or Minn. decided not to try to throw deep to him for some strange reason or a little bit of both.

I'm biased being in Philly, so I'll ask the general NFL fans opinion out there (try not to let team biases interfere).

Is there any team in the NFC that's as good as the Eagles this year?

#60046 09/22/04 04:10 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Get used to the orange helmet. I'm NOT a fair weather fan. And you're right. They're not going anywhere, but I still love 'em.

Jack

#60047 09/22/04 02:32 PM
B
bigjohn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
zarak- there is no doubt that the eagles have a great defense, but i cant help but faulting the vikings for at least not taking a few long ball shots down the field. they have one of the strongest, highest jumping, catch anything receivers in randy moss, so why not just launch a few down there, and see if he can go get it.. i thought, as a whole, the vikings were playing way to conservative. so, to answer your question, i think it was a little bit of both.

and who in the NFC is as good as philly?? i would say the seahawks have officially shrugged their 'no wins on the road' problem. they have looked very good on offense, even with alexander being hurt.. and their defense looks even better. they have allowed the fewest points thus far this year, and have a +3 turnover rating after just 2 games. thats pretty solid. unfortunatley, these two teams do not meet in the regualr season. so looks like we may have to wait for the division championship to see them head to head.

BTW- i predict the cowboys will 'squeak' into the playoffs again, but will be knocked out in the first round. until we can get this QB and RB situation resolved, we will be at risk. parcells is a great coach, but in the long run, it comes down to the guys playing on the field.. and we need some help.

bigjohn

#60048 09/22/04 04:18 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Wow - it seems as if I am the only person on this forum who isn't an avid sports fan. Heh. I have nothing against sports, or people who love watching them, but I just don't find them entertaining. Playing sports (as opposed to watching them on Tv), however, I find enjoyable. I am incredibly BAD at basket ball, but all of my buddies get me to play with them, and it's rather fun.

Now, lifting and running long distance --- THOSE are fun (to me). I lift daily and run 4 miles twice a day (morning and night). Most people consider both using the weight room and running very boring, but not me - heh. I'm just weird like that.

#60049 09/22/04 04:24 PM
Nope, I'm with you. Not really a sports fan either...

#60050 09/22/04 04:37 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Heh good, then that makes two of us "non-jock" types here on the forums - lol.

#60051 09/22/04 04:43 PM
B
bigjohn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
just the idea of 'not being into sports' is so foreign to me. i can dig what you guys are saying, i just dont understand it.

with me, its not a matter of just liking sports, it is part of the fabric of my life. i know that sounds corny, but its true. playing and being involved with all types sports has been ingrained in me from my earliest memory. i certainly dont live or die by it, but i am emotionally attached.. more so than the next guy i think..? its definitely a passion for me.. much more of a passion than anything else in my like, other than my family. which is OK, cause my wife feels about the same. i couldnt be more happier every year, than when she brings me the new dallas cowboys football schedule and asks, "so which games are we going to this year?" we fuel each other, and its good.

bigjohn

#60052 09/22/04 05:01 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I have been hearing some buzz about the Seahawks are supposed to be good this year. I haven't seen them play yet, so I can't really judge for myself. I do have Darrell Jackson on my fantasy team though, so I've gotta at least root for him

#60053 09/22/04 05:34 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Could be worse - try being an association football (soccer) fan in North America.

I get to see about one Bayern game a year and a few international games. Though there is the benefit of Euro and World Cup years... like 32 or 64 Superbowls in a month and coverage of them is pretty good, even if I do have to put up with Craig Forrest's commentary.

Bren R.

#60054 09/22/04 09:05 PM
devotee
devotee
In reply to:

Is there any team in the NFC that's as good as the Eagles this year?

Yes...the Vikings. Owens' touchdown catch wasn't (replays clearly showed he did not have posession of the ball). the Vikings went up and down the field all day on the Philly defense, and it took penalties, turnovers, and bad calls for the Eagles to win. Play that game in Minnesota or a neutral field, and the Eagles get dumped by 14 points at least.

Mark

"Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff"
#60055 09/22/04 09:16 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Just to point out, the Eagles would have won anyway without the points from that TD.

[black]-"The further we go and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."[/black]
#60056 09/22/04 10:07 PM
In reply to:

Yet, he continues to post that orange colored helmet all the time.

May I suggest using the Firefox browser and installing the Nuke Anything extension.

I derive immense pleasure from removing (if only temporarily) images that annoy.

#60057 09/22/04 11:10 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Are you implying the my Browns helmet is annoying.

Jack

#60058 09/22/04 11:12 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Oh, Peter, that's devilishly clever. I use Mozilla at home and like it just fine. But I couldn't bring myself to censor Jack's expression (or anybody else, for that matter).

Let's see if we can talk about football enough to overtake the politics thread

So, do you think I could apply some kind of karmic-cynic system to the Seahawks? The expectations are SO high that I am pretty much resigned to being disappointed. Perhaps by acknowledging that eventuality, it will render the karmic backlash moot, and enable them to excel after all. You know, if I *expect* to be disappointed, perhaps they'll do okay.

I know, only a psychotic sports fan thinks that way. Sorry.

I liked bigjohn's comment about sports in the context of "the fabric of life". The shared emotion of sporting events does have powerful potential to bring communities together.

#60059 09/23/04 12:53 AM
In reply to:

The shared emotion of sporting events does have powerful potential to bring communities together.

Or, if you're a Raider fan, the shared emotion has the powerful potential to wreak havoc in the community.

#60060 09/23/04 01:28 PM
B
bigjohn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
hey jack.. i dont mind the helmet. its good to show your colors.

i know they dont televise the cowboys games coast to coast, so this monday may be ya'lls first chance at seeing my cowboys. the game against the skins is always a good one, and on a national stage, i am sure this will be no different. its hard to believe that at 40 years old, vinny is leading the NFL in passing yards.. he is also leading the NFL in interceptions. with the skins having the explosiveness of clinton portis, we cant make too many mistakes before they make us pay for it. i think on monday, which ever team has the least amount of turnovers, will win the game. thats what it will come down to.

tom- i think your seahawks will be fine. 2 road wins against good teams, with a relatively easy schedule left.. i mean, they get to play arizona and san fran 4 times, what could be better than that. i really expect them to be in the NFC championship game. of course, the last time i made some predictions on here, i was WAY off..

bigjohn

#60061 09/27/04 04:32 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

just the idea of 'not being into sports' is so foreign to me. i can dig what you guys are saying, i just dont understand it.

So true!

...also, running long distances? hehe that has to be my least favorite form of physical activity... lifting weights would be second to that.

#60062 10/03/04 04:37 AM
old hand
old hand
Is it just me or does Oregon seem to change its uniforms every year?

FIGHT ON, 'SC! Beat the Bears!

Fight on 'SC! Three-Pete Baby!
#60063 10/03/04 05:14 AM
Go Bears!

#60064 10/03/04 06:16 AM
aficionado
aficionado
I think they do, but it's all good because my Devils pulled to 5-0 and with a bye week, hopefully Cal will give SC all they can handle so ASU can find SC ripe for the pickens!

#60065 10/04/04 02:42 PM
B
bigjohn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
Even though my cowboys had a bye, it was still a great weekend of NFL.

the strong teams are really starting to show their dominance(philly, patriots, atlanta, indy).. and some big surprise wins; browns over the skins, giants over the packers, cardinals over the saints, chargers over the titans... i had to double check the bottomline to make sure i didnt see those wrong!!

plus, we are at the beginning of what is the BIGGEST week of football in texas.. locally, we have most of the high school teams starting their district schedule.. these are the important games, the ones that determine if you make the playoffs or not. then, we got the movie "friday night lights" coming out this friday, and that will be HUGE.. and last, we got the texas -vs- oklahoma game at the cotton bowl on saturday. that is like a dang-near holiday around here..

so, if i seem scatter-brained, its because i am!!! WAY TOO much input this week.. i sure hope the longhorns can pull it out this year, or at least keep it close.. this game will go a long way in determining if the texas RB cedric benson will have a real shot at the heismann.

HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!!

bigjohn

#60066 10/04/04 04:17 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Just having fun in Philly still with this season. 4-0 with all victories by double digits. The Eagles didn't even play well yesterday and still won. It's nice when you are good enough to have a bad game and win by 10 points.

Bring on the revenge match in 2 weeks vs. the Panthers!

#60067 10/11/04 12:10 AM
old hand
old hand
Anybody watch Kal-USC?

You can pad your stats by dinking and dunking all you want against that 'SC defense, but you're still going home a LOSER!

-JT

#60068 10/11/04 02:10 AM
At least our band knows more than 2 songs. Anyone else sick of Tusk?

#60069 10/11/04 02:26 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Cal gave 'em that one. SC didn't look very good again. They're better than what they're showing, but when are they going to put it all together?

It's been a bad week or two, eh kcarlie? First the A's, then the Giants, now Cal - seems like you're backing a pack of losers. JFK next?

#60070 10/11/04 02:39 AM
The only team I back is the Bears. And the little baby bears when they play SC or the good ol' Barn Trees.

#60071 10/11/04 02:43 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I hope my Bruins aren't playing Cal this year. Cal looked very good, but unlucky.

#60072 10/11/04 02:47 AM
old hand
old hand
Yep, USC's offense was really inconsistent, but their defense--holy $%#@! The reason Kal's stats were so good was because of the style of offense it employed, using quick dink-and-dunk passes of about 3-9 yards OVER and OVER and OVER again. It was a good gamble, but Pete Carroll had that figured out all the way. Just don't give up the big play and let them shrink the field so that the secondary has an easier and easier time disrupting the passing routes. Tedford made a mistake never going for the deep ball. And that final goal line stand was one for the ages. 'SC defense rules.

#60073 10/11/04 02:53 AM
old hand
old hand
Oh yes, and all that bull---- from that one Kal player saying they would beat SC 9 times out of 10: all I can say is what a sorry loser. Kal lost because of mental errors. USC, who is comprised almost completely of freshmen and sophomores, was mentally tougher.

USC isn't as good as last year, simple as that, but they're still better than Kal.

#60074 10/11/04 03:57 AM
B
bigjohn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
i saw the highlights of the goal line stand.. definitely much heart displayed there..

the horns got dismantled by the sooners, again.. thats 5 years in a row that we cant beat those guys.. the "red river classic", is becoming the "red river spankin'".. and the UT defense allowed a 19 year-old true freshman to gain over 220 yards on them. oh well.. the longhorns will still win 11 games, we will still go to a bowl, and the whole state of texas will still consider it a 'losing' season. we gotta beat OU, thats all there is to it..

bigjohn

#60075 10/11/04 04:11 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Could be worse BigJohn... I think my Huskers had their worse defeat ever saturday.

#60076 10/11/04 03:49 PM
B
bigjohn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
i hate it for you man.. that texas tech passing offense is sure fun to watch when it gets on a roll.. that is, as long as its not your team they are rolling on!!!

lucky for you, i dont think nebraska has to play UT this year..

bigjohn

#60077 10/11/04 06:20 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I felt for you when I saw that score, INANE.

bigjohn, that freshman running back for OU looks like the real deal - a special player. I've seen him twice now, I'm thoroughly impressed.

#60078 10/12/04 02:06 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Enjoy him while he's young... cause once he's old enough to be in the NFL he's gone!

And ya, luckily NU rotates UT with OU on the schedule every two years so minus a Big12 title game they'd never play em both.

Suddenly things we take for granted around here are in jepordy, like 35+ straight years of bowl games.

#60079 10/17/04 08:24 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I've written the commissioner of the NFL and asked him if it would be possible for my Browns to play the Bengals each week until the end of the season. Browns 37; Bengals 17

Jack

#60080 10/17/04 11:44 PM
L
connoisseur
connoisseur
L
I think the Packers should play the Lions in Detroit every week, also.

#60081 10/18/04 02:14 PM
B
bigjohn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
for what its worth, i dont want to see the steelers in texas stadium EVER again.

garcia looked like a hall of famer for the browns on sunday. looks like the browns secondary should send all that pepto-bismol back to chad johnson, with a slice of humble pie..

bigjohn

#60082 10/18/04 03:33 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Is anyone else interested in starting a petition to get Phil Simms out of the broadcast booth? The guy drives me nuts with his general comments on a team that may or may not reflect whats actually going on in a game at the time.
Every game I watch, when I hear his voice I cringe.

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#60083 10/18/04 03:59 PM
B
bigjohn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

get Phil Simms out of the broadcast booth

AGREED... i aint diggin on phil either.

and i get soooo tired of mike patrick and joe theismann arguing over every single sentence on ESPN sunday night football.. i swear, if either of them say anything, the other will pop-off about how wrong they are, and then give their opinion of what is right. back and forth they go, all game.. by the 4th quarter, they just seem like two boys arguing at recess.. its about time to break up that happy couple.

bigjohn

Steelers 24 Dallas 20
#60084 10/18/04 04:06 PM
R
local
local
R
I would just like to revel in the great Steelers win yesterday. Ben Roethlisberger is gem! Looks like I get the last laugh on this one!

Re: Steelers 24 Dallas 20
#60085 10/18/04 04:18 PM
B
bigjohn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
i would have liked for vinny to have put the ball on a silver platter and just give it to the defense. i mean, could he make it any easier for them. i aint knockin ben any, he played a smart, tough, mistake free game.. but i just hate when we just give it away like that. the steelers should have never even been in that position in the first place.

bigjohn

#60086 10/18/04 04:28 PM
R
local
local
R
I'd like to thank Vinny on that one. He's had a nice career of screwing up against the Steelers (mostly with interceptions). We would have got killed if Tommy Maddox was playing. Dallas puts a lot of pressure on the QB.

We would have stopped the third down and then driven down the field for a field goal or touchdown. hahahhahaha! (just being a good fan here)

#60087 10/18/04 04:43 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
1. I'd like to thank the Steelers for knocking off the hated Cowboys. What a great ending.

2. The Browns come back to earth this weekend when they play Philly.

3. I asked it a couple of weeks ago, and someone suggested Seattle. Now that they have lost 2 in a row, I'll ask again. Is there any team in the NFC that is as good as the Eagles? Or in the NFL other then the Pats.

I never thought I'd say this, but football has been a little boring this year. I kinda miss some of the close games. It's not as exciting when every victory is by double digits.

#60088 10/18/04 05:03 PM
B
bigjohn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

Is there any team in the NFC that is as good as the Eagles?

in the NFC, i would say no.. they have emerged as the best team in the NFC, no question.. but, i would love to see a rematch with the vikings in the playoffs. i think with the vikings offense putting up points like it has been, they can compete with any team, regardless of how bad their defense is. eagles beat em in week 2, but i think they are a better team now.. and will be much better if they meet in the playoffs.

bigjohn

#60089 10/18/04 05:18 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

garcia looked like a hall of famer for the browns on sunday. looks like the browns secondary should send all that pepto-bismol back to chad johnson, with a slice of humble pie..

Yeah except for the 2 intereptions and fumbled snap which gave the Bengals 17 points.

Actually, Chad Johnson handled himself with class after the game. He met with all reporters, answered all their questions, stayed by his locker until every one of them was gone, blamed himself totally for the loss, and took the heat. Kudos.

In reply to:

Is anyone else interested in starting a petition to get Phil Simms out of the broadcast booth?

In reply to:

get soooo tired of mike patrick and joe theismann

I'm tired of just about all of them. They all talk too much and usually about anything else but the game. Somehow, the announcers got the idea that THEY are a large part of the game, rather than realizing they are there to enhance the game. They've lost sight that it's the GAME that matters. But doesn't Pat Summerall add a touch of class to the Sunday night booth?

In reply to:

The Browns come back to earth this weekend when they play Philly.

What makes you think the Browns are off the ground. They've played horribly all season. They just defeated one of the worse teams in the league, after coughing up 4 turnovers which the opposition turned into 17 points, and raised their lofty record to 3 and 3. Woo Woo! There isn't anybody in this town who thinks the Browns will defeat Philly. However! On any Sunday..............

Philly BETTER win, because Philly's got little to gain and much to lose. After all, they're SUPPOSED to win. If they win, they just did what was expected of them. If they LOSE, however..........well, wouldn't that be just awful for them?

Jack

#60090 10/18/04 06:00 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

Is anyone else interested in starting a petition to get Phil Simms out of the broadcast booth? The guy drives me nuts with his general comments on a team that may or may not reflect whats actually going on in a game at the time.
Every game I watch, when I hear his voice I cringe.

Amen! He is the worse pro anouncer, please get rid of Brent Muscrapper from the college ranks please. Those two guys are the absoulte worse.

#60091 10/18/04 06:40 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I LOATHE Ment Brussburger...........uh, Bruss Mentburger............whatever! He's absolutely TERRIBLE!

Jack

#60092 10/18/04 09:14 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I've got the award for the absolute worst sideline reporter. Tony Saragousa (yes, I'm sure I spelled that wrong). He is just awful. His first partner didn't like him so much, they made him switch what crew he's on. He's still bad. Best example I've seen of stealing money in quite a while.

#60093 10/18/04 09:29 PM
B
bigjohn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
i didnt even know the 'goose' was still doing sideline reporting.. i havent seen him in a few years.. but from what i remember, he wasnt very good.. hence, probably why i havent seen him in a while..

although, i have seen him in a right guard commercial.. he was break-dancing.. yea right...

bigjohn

#60094 10/20/04 03:43 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
hehe, he's like a bad john madden impersonator.

#60095 10/21/04 04:24 PM
connoisseur
Online Content
connoisseur
I must disagree about Summerall.

Yes, he is a legend, but he is very much the epitome of "hanging on for too long". He makes mistakes and is very....what is the word or phrase I am looking for.....he seems to disappear into his own world. It bothers me to see once great people descend in the public eye...and he definitely misses far too many things within the games. Remembering the calls of Madden and Summerall and the Cowboys of the 90's...and seeing where he is now is distrubing.

I actually enjoy the Patrick/Thiesman/??? team.... BUT the way Thiesman and the other guy (Paul McGuire??) argue is grating. I think Thiesman is a good piece, but not Paul.

I agree on the Simms thread.

As for the Browns/Bengals...they are both mdeiocre teams...maybe if the merged!!!!
I think the Rams are going to be better as the season goes on...how good will remain to be seen.

#60096 10/21/04 05:22 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I understand your point of view, but if we're gonna condemn announcers who make too many mistakes, we're gonna have to condemn them all. I find myself hollering at the TV all the time. "No, you idiot, that's the 22 yard line, NOT the 24." My favorite is "Are you idiots watching the same game I am"?

And, at least Summerall doesn't blather on and on and on like Theisman. Yakkety yakkety yakkety yak! I think he justs likes to hear his own voice.

Jack

#60097 10/21/04 05:43 PM
connoisseur
Online Content
connoisseur
I am not talking about errors requiring thorough understanding and show prep....but basics like calling someone the completely wrong person - typically a non existent merger of two players, past and present. I loathe listening to his play by play due to he has his own scorecard and rosters that contain names, numbers and references that are not actually with the teams on the field!!

Yes, Thiesman does go on, but he is intelligent and well spoken. His eloquent manner is a welcome change to the typical ex players turned broadcasters.....Michael Irvin and Deion Sanders for PRIME examples......

Anyway, I guess we all have our personal favourites....more Suzy Colber!!!!!!!!!

#60098 10/21/04 06:41 PM
B
bigjohn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

Michael Irvin and Deion Sanders for PRIME examples

good lord, i couldnt agree with you more here.. i was soooo happy when deion left CBS pre-game desk, and decided to play. i know the networks put these guys on the shows to add an 'ethnic flare', but NONE of my black friends act or dress like that. i mean, really? pink fedoras and a full length fur jacket.. gimmie a break.. and to top it off, his game analysis couldnt be any worse.

then, you got irvin, from my beloved cowboys. geez, he is bad.. he argues back and forth with ron jaworski, and he thinks the louder he raises his voice, the better he makes his point?? no matter how loud he gets, he still doesnt make any sense...

and now they replaced deion with shannon sharpe.. who is just slightly less annoying.. i have never heard a more arrogant, self centered football player. you would think he invented the game..

bigjohn

#60099 10/21/04 08:04 PM
connoisseur
Online Content
connoisseur
I guess it must be a requirement to have a cast that consist of a loud mouth, and a thinker...think of the pairs
- Bradshaw and Long
- Tom Jackson, Young and Irvin
- Marino, Esiason and Sanders.
- Theisman and McGuire

For the most part, the thinkers are all knowledgable guys...and as you say, the others are simple for targeted audiences.

CFL
#60100 10/21/04 08:58 PM
veteran
veteran
So, anyone watch the CFL? I know this thread is about the NFL but Axiom IS a Canadian company, right?
Personally I don't really follow football, but someone here must watch Canadian football, right?

---|---|-O <- My Kitten (Grey and White) Also, accepting donations for the MX-700
Re: CFL
#60101 10/21/04 09:54 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
The CFL - our balls are bigger, our fields are longer and wider, the uprights are on the goal line, our players are smaller (and 70% American), we have a passing game and one less down (so much for the 3 an'a kick, 3 an'a kick game...)

Other than that, it's the same game... 2 minutes of waiting, then 10 seconds of fat guys falling forward on each other at the line of scrimmage and the guy with the best haircut scrambling around in the backfield.

(JUST A JOKE GUYS!)

Bren R.

#60102 10/21/04 10:39 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Bren, not to mention NO fair catch rule!

Nuts about CFL??? You've never seen anything like the people in Saskatchewan.

"Chickens don't clap."
#60103 10/21/04 11:01 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
In reply to:

You've never seen anything like the people in Saskatchewan

Oh,the possibilities.

I'm intrigued by the CFL, and used to REALLY enjoy watching the Olympics on CBUT. Unfortunately, since I went to Directivo, I no longer receive our CBC affiliate in BC. Pity.

#60104 10/21/04 11:09 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Tom, the most important thing you'd be missing is the opportunity to see Don Cherry every Saturday night (how do you make a rolling eyes smiley?????). Oh no, did i just insult on of the 10 greatest Canadians (eye roll please).

"Chickens don't clap."
#60105 10/22/04 02:56 AM
veteran
veteran
Hey, I resent that, sid,
I'm from Saskatchewan! (we call it SASK so that we don't have to use all those fancy letters)

oh, and as I look at your profile, you too are from sask... hehe, joke's...not...so...funny...anymore...

Last edited by Lexxen; 10/22/04 02:57 AM.

---|---|-O <- My Kitten (Grey and White) Also, accepting donations for the MX-700
#60106 10/22/04 04:31 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

Bren, not to mention NO fair catch rule!

Yes!!! What was it, about 8 years ago, some guy came up here from American college ball - no one told him about there being no fair catch here, threw his arm in the air and waved it like he just don't care, took the catch and got knocked senseless by the kicking team.

As for Saskatchewan, I'm heading your way next week with a video mobile... can you try to get rid of that snow before I get there?

Bren R.

#60107 10/22/04 05:26 AM
In reply to:

Yes!!! What was it, about 8 years ago, some guy came up here from American college ball - no one told him about there being no fair catch here, threw his arm in the air and waved it like he just don't care, took the catch and got knocked senseless by the kicking team.

That reminds me of the first time I had to give a urine sample. It all happened so fast. I opened the little door next to the toilet, aimed, and let loose. Just as I started to hear screams from the other side of the little door, I began to think the cup they had given me would have been a better receptacle.

#60108 10/22/04 05:34 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
You're making that up!

#60109 10/22/04 02:42 PM
connoisseur
Online Content
connoisseur
Yes, it is an exciting brand of football.

BTW, the footballs USED to be bigger - the J5V was a staple for some years. But it has been replaced by the same type as the NFL uses.

At least my buddies on the Argos and Ticats have told me that.....

#60110 10/22/04 05:55 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Would make some sense BBIBH - just going on hearsay, the CFL team here is the one team I don't work for (turned them down three times this summer).

Bren R.

#60111 10/22/04 07:52 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I thought they still used a larger sized ball, but could be wrong. Here is what the official CFL rule book says about ball-size:

"The game is played with a ball made of Horween Red leather in four panels which shall be inflated to a pressure not less than 12 1/2 psi nor greater than 13 1/2 psi. The circumference of the long axis shall be not less than 27 3/4 inches nor greater than 28 1/4 inches. The circumference of the girth or short axis shall be not less than 20 7/8 inches nor greater than 21 1/8 inches. The length of the long axis shall be not less than 11 inches nor greater than 11 1/4 inches. The total weight of the ball shall not be less than 14 ounces nor greater than 15 ounces. The exposed laces shall be not more than 4 3/8 inches in length and 1 1/8 inches in width.
The ball shall be painted with 1-inch white stripes around the short axis commencing 3 inches away from the point of greatest circumference of the short axis.
A minimum of seven balls shall be used in a game and changed at the discretion of the Referee. The balls shall be kept clean and in playable condition.
The official football for a Canadian Football League game shall be the Wilson CFL Official Game Ball, which shall be inscribed with the signature of the Commissioner."

If anyone has an offical NFL ball, drag out the measuring tape.

Oh, and Bren, doesn't look hopeful for the snow dissapearing. It isn't supposed to get much warmer than 2 degrees over the next 3 or 4 days. We've got a foot of snow, so when I do the math, you'd better bring your snow boots!

"Chickens don't clap."
Re: NFL
#60112 10/25/04 03:55 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I've gotta give the Browns some credit. They looked good yesterday (or the Eagles looked bad, or some of both, but regardless...). It was nice to have a close game to watch and something to cheer about. This is the first year that I just expect the Eagles to win though. Even when they got down it wasn't a big deal, I was confident they'd come back. I would have been much more nervous and tense in years past.

#60113 10/25/04 03:58 PM
connoisseur
Online Content
connoisseur
It was an entertaining game. I think T.O. was being the old T.O. in the game - but he did have an impact!

Nice to see ole' CFL'ers doing well!

...and before ABCD comes after me...I guess I spoke too soon about the Rams!!!

#60114 10/25/04 07:15 PM
L
connoisseur
connoisseur
L
Speaking of TO, I'm sure everyone saw the sign in the end zone which read TO has BO. It apparently bothered him since he threw a football at it and later tore it down. I thought that was the funny of the day.

#60115 10/25/04 08:00 PM
connoisseur
Online Content
connoisseur
I think it was a different one he tore down, but he was penalized 15 yards for the torn one.

When will this guy learn to be classy??? Remember Barry Sanders? Arguably the most exciting player of his time, he simply handed the ball to the official when he scored....

Class seems to be a forgotten element of todays athlete.....

#60116 10/25/04 09:07 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Yeah. The one he tore down said:

T.akes
O.ne
to know one.

This in reference to his stating he thought Jeff Garcia is gay. Dubious, since Garcia can be seen around Cleveland dating a former Playboy Playmate of the Year.

T. O. seems to be a troubled person of low self esteem. In order to feel some sense of self worth, he needs the attention he garners by acting out. He stated, in reference to getting the attention: "That's when you know you're big time. That's when you know you're on your way to stardom."

By his measuring stick, Osama Bin Laden is "big time" and "on the way to stardom."

Jack

#60117 10/26/04 12:15 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
As long as Philly keeps winning, people will accept what he does around here, but I can definately see a problem developing down the road. It's part of the package that you know you are getting ahead of time when you take a guy like TO onto your team. If he helps them win it all though, whatever he does will be worth it.

#60118 10/26/04 12:21 AM
B
bigjohn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
cowboys got beat bad.. and looked horrible in the process. i am in mourning.. nuff said...

bigjohn

#60119 10/26/04 05:18 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Who would have thought going in that the Giants would have a good shot at finishing 2nd in the division.

#60120 10/26/04 05:42 PM
B
bigjohn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

Who would have thought going in that the Giants would have a good shot at finishing 2nd in the division

NOT ME!!! and heres a few more surprises so far this year.

the steelers are leading their division, and are tied for the 2nd longest winning streak in the NFL.

jacksonville is leading its division, and is one game over the colts??

detroit is on the inside track for a wild card spot, and is only one game back of minnesota.

the rams are the best team in the NFC west, with a scorching record of 4-3.. and what ever happened to seattle.?

my 'new kids on the block' awards..

QB- byron leftwich, david carr
RB- chris brown, thomas jones
WR- andre johnson, roy williams
TE- antonio gates, jason witten
and the two biggest surprise defenses.. the giants and believe it or not, the cardinals. who decided to wake those guys up?

bigjohn

#60121 10/26/04 06:44 PM
veteran
veteran
If you had the misfortune of being at the Meadowlands on Sunday to see the Giants/Lions as I was, you'd think twice about slotting the Giants to finish second. As long as Coughlin insists on using Dayne in short-yardage situations, the Giants are toast. Also, Warner lofted a pass in the endzone that would have been a touchdown if he had gunned it in there like Favre would have.

Ah, the joys of being a Giants fan. However, since Washington and Dallas are not setting the world on fire, the Giants do have a shot at finishing strong.

Oh, and my fantasy football team is now 1-6. That's been fun.

#60122 10/26/04 07:06 PM
B
bigjohn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

my fantasy football team is now 1-6

i am in 2 fantasy leagues this year, and doing rather well.

in one league, i am 6-0-1, leading my division..
and the other, i am 5-2, in second place in my division.

both leagues are 12 team leagues, and top 4 in each division will make the playoffs. unless i have a complete collapse, i should make the playoffs in both leagues.

these are money leagues, so i hope to do well.. superbowl payouts are at least $450 for winner, and $250 runner-up. i done told my wife if i manage to win both leagues, i am using the money to buy myself a new sub.. she didnt argue, so thats good!!

bigjohn

#60123 10/27/04 01:26 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Yes, I only said they had a good shot at second because of how bad it looks like the rest of the division is turning out to be. This was supposed to be the year that some of these other teams would start to challenge the Eagles....doesn't appear that way now. Dallas needs a QB and RB, and Gibbs is not the savior everyone was hoping for. A coach can help, but not make as dramatic of a change as some people were thinking. There were some so called experts claiming super bowl for the Skins this year, just cause of Gibbs.

#60124 11/02/04 05:48 PM
R
local
local
R
The Steelers are back, baby!

#60125 11/02/04 05:55 PM
B
bigjohn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
zarak- to answer your question as to who is good enough to beat the eagles? well, i think you might get your answer this weekend.

i am backing the steelers, even though they beat my boys. thats OK.. cause it will be nice to watch them dismantle the mcnabb/owens connection.

bigjohn

#60126 11/02/04 05:55 PM
axiomite
axiomite
OH GAD! Not only do I have to put up with Ray3, but now another black and yellow fan! Is there no justice?

Jack

#60127 11/02/04 06:00 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I'll be raising my glass for the birds...we'll see how it goes.

[black]-"The further we go and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."[/black]
#60128 11/02/04 06:25 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Jack,

I have two words for you STEEL - ERS!!!

It's been a dry spell for the last 2-3 years and it's nice to see them back to playing Steeler football. I'm not expecting them to get to the level of the 70s Steelers (who could?), but they have some speed on defense, (finally) a defensive backfield and it looks like Ben is the real deal at QB. It all makes winter more enjoyable.

It was nice to see them handle the Patriots as well as they did. While much was made of the Patriot injuries, no one mentioned the Steelers were playing without 2 defensive starters and the right OG is out for the season. Good stuff.

#60129 11/02/04 06:43 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

I have two words for you STEEL - ERS!!!

Well that says a lot about the intelligence of black and yellow fans, doesn't it?

And, keep in mind that your quarterback (if you think I'm gonna try to spell THAT name, you're nuts) came from an OHIO university.

Jack

#60130 11/02/04 06:49 PM
aficionado
aficionado
ray, your guys did whomp the stuffing out of us last sunday, but i too am hopeful it shamed them enough to rebound. now if we had some healthy players...
dan

#60131 11/02/04 07:34 PM
connoisseur
Online Content
connoisseur
...wait a minute, were they not lauded for their roster depth?

The media (and I think 2x6spds will have a say on journalistic integrity) proclaimed them a great team because of the dpth they assembled

#60132 11/03/04 01:25 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Looking at the schedule, this will be the Eagles hardest game of the season. The Steelers are looking good, and it would not suprise me to see the Birds pick up their first loss (can't go undefeated, right?). The Eagles haven't been playing as well the past two weeks, but it has been good enough to win. Good enough won't work the way the Steelers are playing. Hopefully the Eagles can get pumped up for this one and the Steelers are still too high from knocking off the Pats and have a letdown.

I know Ben is looking good at QB, but the Eagles are usually able to confuse rookie QB's and show them things they have never seen and can't handle. On the other hand, I'm sure Duce will be pumped up to play his old team.

It should be a good game either way. If I was a betting man, I wouldn't touch this one.

#60133 11/06/04 06:41 PM
B
bigjohn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
i had to bump this. it was getting too far down the list.

my high school team(san angelo central bobcats),won last night 45-21 against a lubbock team that was 8-1 coming into the game. the victory assured them the #2 seed in their district and a playoff game next week in el paso. we had a very good crowd last night(about 8-10 thousand), and they were very loud. it was a do or die game for the bobcats and they pulled out the much needed win.

there are some great NFL games i am looking forward to this weekend. philly at pittsburgh, patriots at rams, new orleans at san diego, and of course, cowboys at cinci. i am picking the steelers to upset again. they better ride the 'big ben' wave as long as possible.

bigjohn

#60134 11/08/04 01:37 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'm trying to not think about football this year as my Huskers are likely to have their worse year in well over 30 years.

#60135 11/08/04 07:35 PM
R
local
local
R
Looks like we have a new best team in football. This town is so electric when the Steelers are kicking butt.

#60136 11/08/04 07:48 PM
B
bigjohn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
jerome bettis for mayor!!!!

i hear they love that guy there.. and why not.. when the cowboys were winning back in the mid 90's, troy aikman and emmitt smith were like gods. i would say the same for michael irvin, but he was too busy chasin whores and smokin crack.

bigjohn

#60137 11/08/04 10:10 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Whew, sorry it took so long to check in. I've been dancing in my black & gold jammies, drinking Iron City and eating kielbasi since yesterday. The Steelers are playing some excellent football and I'm pretty excited about the whole thing. Been way too long. It will be difficult to maintain this level for the rest of the year, so I'm expecting some disappointment, but I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts.

#60138 11/08/04 11:09 PM
R
local
local
R
No Ray! We've got a QB now. We will do it! And if not, plenty of Sunday's left to eat kielbasa and drink iron.

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 18 19

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters