Rate Thread
Page 4 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 18 19
Re: OT-FOOTBALL
#59986 09/09/04 05:32 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
bigjohn, you are a lucky man, indeed. And wise to appreciate your luck. I'm happy that friends like you get to fully indulge the football passion. I try to sneak it in between other parts of life.

The Seattle Seahawks are promising this year. It's kind of brutal, because it is really less stressful when you know your team is going to be crappy. Not much stress over the last 20 years in Seattle. The new stadium is nice, but not as wonderful as Safeco Field (where the Mariners play) right across the street.

The Washington Huskies look horrible, which is a change. Again, lovely stadium - one of the best in college football - right on the shores of Lake Washington. Nothing can compare to those SEC and Big Ten rivalries. It's just to fricken wet in Seattle to get terribly emotional at a football game.

What's the board over/under on how long Ajax can stand the shame of continuing to use that Browns helmet in his sig? I'll take 5 weeks.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#59987 09/09/04 06:17 PM
B
bigjohn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

What's the board over/under on how long Ajax can stand the shame of continuing to use that Browns helmet in his sig? I'll take 5 weeks

i say ONE week, cause the ravens are gonna make them look bad this weekend. jamal lewis will get 200 yds rushing, and still have time to meet with his probation officer during the 4th quarter.. hehe..

i like the seahawks this year.. i think they have a great chance to go 11-5, or 12-4 maybe.. they will definitely make the playoffs, but they still need to prove they can win in the playoffs.. just getting there aint gonna cut it. i have darrell jackson on one of my fantasy teams, so i hope him and hasselback hook-up all season!!

you mention their stadium.. my wife and i made a list of NFL stadiums we would like to go see a game in.. the seattle stadium was in the top 5.. i think the order was,

1- lambeau field.
2- reliant stadium(houston)
3- the new one in mile high.
4- heinz field(pittsburgh)
5- and the new one in seattle.

we think the new field in philly looks really nice, but we hate the eagles, so they are out!!!

looks like we have a hell of a roadtrip someday!!!

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#59988 09/09/04 06:39 PM
axiomite
axiomite
LOL! OK! Both you guys! Go bite the big lebowski! May both your teams discover new turnover ratios in favor of the opposition.

Actually I was giving the helmet about 3 weeks. One humiliation by that-team-that-shall-remain-nameless is nothing new, so It'll be up longer than one week. However when it comes down. It won't be because of "shame." It'll be because of disappointment. I'm never ashamed to display my allegiance to the Browns.

I know their success is ancient history, but at least my team HAS a history, and a proud one to boot. I was privileged to sit in the old Municipal stadium and watch, arguably, the best ever, Jim Brown, run over everybody he faced. It was a thrill.

I sincerely hope you both have things like that to think about when you're my age. However. Currently being a Cleveland sports fan has given new meaning to the term "long-suffering."

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#59989 09/09/04 06:41 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
You should come to Seattle in September sometime - we would have a great time. You could catch a Seahawks game and a Mariners game if you planned it right. The weather is usually very nice until early October.

Seahawks Stadium (recently renamed to Qwest Field - ugh) is a good place to watch a game. It is right downtown, so depending upon your seat, you can see the skyline, ferries going back and forth across Elliott Bay, the sunset, etc. The sightlines are good; since the stadium was built for football, the field is close. We sit high on about the 15 yard line, but I still have a good view. There are plenty of facilities, but since beers are $7, you don't have to worry about it too much. Food is competent if unspectacular, and also extortion-priced. You can bring in food in clear plastic containers.

The Seahawk offense looks pretty good, alright. Hope can be a dangerous thing.

#59990 09/09/04 06:50 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
You want me to bite Jeff Bridges?

I envy your moments of seeing Jim Brown. You'll get no argument from me about his football talent. Beyond compare.

Sporting events do have a way of crystallizing and enobling certain memories, while also retaining their historical perspective. The sensory and emotional joy possible in such instances, and the shared nature of those experiences, makes them very powerful.

Well, and the beer, of course.

#59991 09/09/04 06:53 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I want you to bite ANY bridge! That'll teach ya!

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#59992 09/09/04 09:12 PM
shareholder in the making
Careful now! Some bridges bite back:

Exhibit A: Bridge from Metallica's Creeping Death (A wonderful song about the Old Testament story of the plagues brought upon Egypt)

Die by my hand
I creep across the land
killing first-born man

#59993 09/09/04 09:13 PM
DIE!

DIE!

DIE!

DIE!

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#59994 09/09/04 09:21 PM
B
bigjohn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
well, since we have swung this back to music... is anyone else as mortified as i am with the 'NFL Kickoff' musical line-up? elton john, toby keith, jessica simpson, destiny's child? BLAH!!! i am gonna puke....

the only true talent there is elton john, the rest represent the worst aspects of the music industry today. the beginning of the end is here.. the NFL has officially, SOLD-OUT!!!

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#59995 09/09/04 09:23 PM
Funny, I thought that happened at least a few years ago when Aerosmith shared the stage with the Backstreet Boys. And a song. barf.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Page 4 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 18 19

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters