Print Thread
Rate Thread
center of midrange is dented
#6015 09/29/02 09:13 PM
intune Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I can't find the answer that easily. The center of my midrange cone is krinkled-deformed, like 2 fingers were pushed into it. It sounds fine. How does this effect the speaker sonically? If it has no effect, can it become a problem later on? (and when will I ever type "krinkle again")

Thank you for replying,

intune

Re: center of midrange is dented
#6016 09/30/02 03:06 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hello Intune,

If you are referring to the convex dust cap that keeps dust from getting into the voice-coil magnet assembly behind the cone, it shouldn't affect sonic performance at all. Which model of Axiom speaker is it, and did you buy it from our Factory Outlet on the Axiom web site? Was it "krinkle-deformed" when you unpacked the speaker? If it's the dust cap, it won't become a problem later on.

You can call our service manager, Joe Vassallo, on the Axiom toll-free line and ask him about the deformation, and whether a new midrange driver is needed.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#6017 09/30/02 10:30 PM
intune Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Thank you Alan.

The dust cap is exactly what I was referring to. And I will not worry about it.

NOTE: The set of speakers I was referring to are not made by Axiom. I posted the question here because I have learned alot from the members and have respect for the experts like Alan.

Intune

#6018 10/01/02 02:42 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi Intune,

I once had an annoying cat (hey, I'm a dog person) that pushed in the dust cap of a woofer with her paw, leaving an indentation like you described. I don't really suggest you try this but at the time, I used a piece of sticky tape on a stick, just touching it hard enough to the indent so that it adhered, then I pulled it out and the indentation popped out.

But if you try it, you might accidentally puncture the dust cap, so don't worry about it. In my case, I was annoyed at the cat and the way the dust cap looked.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082