Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Comparible systems to M2i, VT100, QS4's?
#61304 09/17/04 05:37 PM
Allen42 Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
[Sorry for the cross-post, but I only received one response in another forum, and I thought I might do better here. I am not trying to stir up trouble, I'm just looking for some alternatives to research before I buy.]

Alrighty...

I'm new to this forum, and Axiom, for that matter. I was brought here by the glowing comments at hometheaterspot.com.

I'm trying to justify replacing my baby Onkyo speaker system. (The trouble is, it sounds fairly decent to the family. Sooo, I've got to find something that is clearly much better, and for not a lot of money. Thus, Axiom.

However, it isn't in my blood to buy anytihng without doing a LOT of research, and listening to a lot of experienced advice.

I have some size constraints for ceiling-mounted speakers (can't be taller than 12"), so I need to go with M2's. I talked with Brent at Axiom, and he recommended the system in the subject for my room and needs.

What I need is some discussion regarding the competition. What *are* equivalent speakers to this setup? Paradigm also gets rave reviews, but I can't figure out what speakers I would want over there... too many choices, difficult site to navigate.

I also see auidoholics "recommended" satellite system is the RBH CT-5.1... he seems to be in love with these.

So, can someone give me some viable alternatives, so that I can make an informed decision and feel good about buying my Axioms, er, the right brand?

Here's my current setup, if it helps:

Room: 15x19x8=2280 cu ft
Onkyo 502 (75w/ch)
Onkyo HT-22 Fronts & surrounds. (65hz-20khz)
Onkyo ??? Center (pretty small)
Sony low-priced sub
(The onkyos were part of a home-theater in a box system)

What I *want* is clarity. I am a bit deaf in one ear, and need excellent voice clarity for HT.

Thanks very much to anyone with the patience to have read this far and/or respond!

Re: Comparible systems to M2i, VT100, QS4's?
#61305 09/17/04 06:12 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Hi Allen,

I'm sorry you're not getting the kind of response you'd like. Most regulars read all the forums, so I don't think it was the placement that was the problem.

Obviously, the people here are going to be able to give you better feedback about Axioms than about the competition. But I do get your point.

That is a decent size room, and I don't have a full understanding of why you are constrained to very small-sized speakers. Perhaps a picture would help. Mounting speakers on the ceiling, even if you point them down, is not going to give you the best clarity and imaging.

Now, I think you'd get fabulous results with the M2, but only with a competent sub. I have no knowledge about your Sony, but many people really like the value of entry-level Sony subs. You'll probably still get a LOT of improvement by replacing the main/surround/center speakers first and then upgrading the sub later, if you decide it's worth it.

I guess I'd advise you to figure out your budget for this implementation (M2/VP100/QS4 = $845, only $760 if you buy from the factory outlet). Then, go and listen to some other comparable speaker packages in that price range. You may find it difficult to locate a "package" that is comparable; it seems like most manufacturers' products in that price range include the sub (the whole 5.1 not just 5.0), so you'll have to try to compare apples to apples.

I very seriously doubt you will find anything that can perform like your proposed Axiom system for that much money. The surrounds, in particular, are fantastic. They might seem expensive, but the design and quality of the surround experience is really quite amazing.

I also think you will be astounded by the improvment that the VP100 will make in your HT experience.

Then, after you've auditioned and researched yourself to the point of exhaustion, if you cannot find a nearby Axiom audition, order just the M2's and see what you think. It would not break the bank if you decided that you had to send them back.

I agree with you about the total unintelligibility of the Paradigm site, btw.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#61306 09/17/04 06:15 PM
Allen42 Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Thanks. I left the sub out of the discussion because I've pretty much decided on a STF-1 or STF-2.

#61307 09/17/04 06:20 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Excellent choices. I have an SVS PB1-ISD and love it. They just released a PB10-ISD for $399, so you could give that a look, too. Some folks are disappointed that it does not have an adjustable crossover, but I think your Onkyo 502 would take care of all that anyway. The Axiom subs are fine, too.

You might consider the Hsu Ventriloquist system; it seems to get good reviews. But I would be concerned that it would neither fill your room adequately, nor provide sufficient upgrade from your current setup as to warrant the expenditure. Worse, you would probably have a difficult time auditioning it, too.

So, is form factor the driving force here? That is, you really need the mains to be fairly small boxes?

#61308 09/17/04 06:52 PM
Allen42 Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Pretty much. The two doorways that sit directly to either side of my television don't leave room for floor-standing speakers, and a speaker that hangs lower than the door frame would not get past the wife.

#61309 09/17/04 07:21 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
How about a Mirage Omnisat?

I know nothing about them, but they look cool and they're pretty small.

#61310 09/17/04 08:21 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Alternatives? Sure....

http://www.ascendacoustics.com

#61311 09/17/04 08:45 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
I was waiting for that one to show up.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#61312 09/17/04 08:46 PM
Allen42 Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Exactly the kind of responses I was looking for. Thanks!

Those Ominsat's are a little weird for me. But the Ascend's look pretty comparable. And, about the same price and this year's reviewer's choice...crap...I was hoping to make this choice easier, not harder.

Anyone done a side-by-side with the Ascend Acoustics
CBM-170 / CMT-340c?

(If this is getting too far away from Axiom's purpose for this board, please let me know, and I'll find another forum for this. It's just that you guys seem to *know* things, and are nice.)

#61313 09/17/04 08:49 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
If you search on this forum and the ascendforum.com....and the various other forums, you should have enough comparisons to make your head spin.

Yes...this board is very nice.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020