Axiom vs Monitor Audio vs Rockets
#61468 09/19/04 04:20 AM
D
dannic Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
D
I just purchased some Outlaw gear-950 Pre/Pro, 770 Amp (7 X 200 W) and the LFM-1 subwoofer. All great value for the money that have made my home theatre come alive with the best sound I have ever owned! I don't suppose I will ever go back to a receiver after hearing this setup-night and day difference between Outlaw gear and my Marantz receiver. I currently have entry level Paradigm speakers (Phantom Towers, Titan Surrounds, CC 270 Centre) and of course want to upgrade these as well.
My room is 25' X 20' X 8' and I enjoy both movies and music equally as well with a slight edge to more movie watching.
I have religiously read the Axiom forum and am confident in purchasing their product (7.1 system-2 M80's, VP 150C, 4 QS8 surrounds) as they seem to be the Outlaw's of the speaker world. However, my local stero store carries the Monitor Audio line (Silver 8's etc, Gold series are incredible but too $$) and these too are beautiful speakers to listen to but also are pricier than the Axioms. As well, I have read great things on the Rockets( 750 Sigs,etc-perhaps pricier than the Axioms) so I am as confused as ever just when I thought it was Axiom for sure.
Can anyone steer me in the right direction for this important "next" upgrade. Anyone own these systems or compared these same lines?
Thanks in advance

Re: Axiom vs Monitor Audio vs Rockets
#61469 09/19/04 04:32 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
Wecome Dannic,

You could look Here and see if there is someone in your area to audition some Axioms for ya.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

#61470 09/19/04 04:42 AM
devotee
devotee
Man, I read your question and was wondering if you are a clone of me. I have not upgraded to the Outlaw 950/770 "yet". But I do have the LFM and I agree it is nice. Your room size is about the same as mine and I did almost the same exact research as you minus the Monitor's. I have read quite a bit on the Monitor line and I think that it is NeverHappy that has them. Not sure though.

Regarding the systems you are looking at... I too looked into the Rockets and in the end settled on the Axiom M60's. I have not heard the M80's yet from what I hear they are almost the same as the 60's just with more base. You might want to think about the M60's and with the saved $$ go with another sub in that big room. It will pay off. I did listen to the Rocket 750's and compaired to the Axioms they are brighter. I do know that a lot of people over at Outlaw have the Rockets so you may have a resourse there to get some feedback from. All in all, the Axiom M60 does a great job for me. I listen to about 70% movies, 30% music and they carry both in a way that can only be experienced in person. I know that there are a lot of people found here and on av123.com that will invite you over to listen and that is the best way to go. If you like the Rockets, keep an eye on their B stock inventory because they pop up there from time to time for about $750, a great savings. I am sure someone will come in with their thoughts on the M80's and Monitos so you are in good hands but again, as with almost all the posts to come, everyone will say what they think but the best things you are going to hear are with your own ears.

#61471 09/19/04 05:19 AM
devotee
devotee
Just took a look av123 has the RS750 in B sotck for $899.00.

#61472 09/19/04 06:08 AM
D
dannic Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
D
lomb 7

Thanks for the heads up

#61473 09/19/04 01:53 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

I have read quite a bit on the Monitor line and I think that it is NeverHappy that has them. Not sure though.

Yep, it's me. Very nice speaker but yes they are a little $$$$$.

dannic,
You told us what gear you have but you have not said anything about what you listen to etc. Do you like to crank it? Is this for HT only or do you listen to a lot of music? At the end of the day you can't go wrong with any of the speakers you have listed but keep in mind they all sound unique.

#61474 09/19/04 02:18 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Dannic,
You can see my thoughts on Monitors and Axioms in this thread.
Both are excellent speakers.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#61475 09/19/04 08:18 PM
D
dannic Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
D
Hi Chessaroo

Thanks for the link to the thread regarding your terrific comparison between Monitor Audio vs Axiom and others. Considering I will be going with a 7.1 system, if Axiom can compare to Monitor Audio in sound ( I agree, no substitute for REAL wood, however extra $$) then I figure I can't go wrong with Axiom all around. ( That is until I win the Lotto 6/49! )
Considering I can pick up 2M80's, VP 150 C, and 4 QS8 surrounds for $3165 Can. landed cost, I doubt whether I can match the same system in Monitor Audio Silver for that price and certainly NOT Gold.

Regards,

#61476 09/19/04 08:31 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Not to dissuade you from your Axiom choice (it's a good one - I love mine!) you could buy the Silver 8 mains, and Silver center, use Bronze surrounds (and maybe the bronze center, too) and save a couple bucks. They would probably match pretty well. The main difference I heard between the Bronze2s and the Silver2s (A/B side by side comparison) was the bigger fuller bass of the Silvers. Not really a factor for surrounds. Matching finishes would probably only be possible in black.
Or, like I said, stick with the Axioms. I have the means to replace mine, but I'm still very satisfied - and often awed - by their performance.

#61477 09/19/04 08:32 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

Axiom can compare to Monitor Audio in sound

I don't think that statement is 100% accurate. Some Axiom speakers do share certain sound quality's with some of the speakers in the Monitor Line but to paint them all with the same brush is a little to broad a statement. Both brands are excellent and make great speakers but to say Monitor is better based only on the fact they have a real wood finish is not being fair to Monitor Audio. If it came down to that, the Rockets would be better then anything else. To me they are one of the better looking speakers out there and there fit and finish is second to none!!!!!

I have heard the M80's and I have heard the S10's from Monitor and I honestly thought they were 2 very unique speakers.

I hope that made sense! :-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020