Print Thread
Rate Thread
Very Happy with M60's
#61494 09/19/04 11:49 AM
BruceN Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
I had these delivered a few days ago and, so far, I am very pleased. I had never heard Axioms before but all the positive reviews at AudioReview coupled with the posts here convinced me to try them and take a chance that I would not have to pay substantial shipping charges to send these back (I have previously paid $85 to send a dead HK7200 back to OneCall).

What I am hearing from the M60's is music that is extremly clear, voices that seem like they are right in front of you, very good bass (which is good because I am not getting a subwoofer for this set-up) and the ability to hear each distinct instrument a lot easier. My first impression when I hooked them up was "Wow, these are great" which was the impression I was hoping for. Often you read about speaker reviews from buyers of other brands on forums that start first with slight disappointment and then more and more satisfaction as they say the speakers get broken in. I am not sure if these people are just trying to convince themselves that they made a smart purchase. I have read on this forum from some Axiom people that break-in is a myth which my uneducated, untrained, middle-age ears might be inclined to agree with.

As a point of reference I am using the M60's for stereo only with a vintage receiver (1977 Sansui 9090DB, 125 watts per channel). I bought this back in my college days and never had the heart to get rid of it as it is truly a beautiful receiver in contrast to the black boxes you buy today.

Also I should note that I have a home theater in my basement where I am using Ascend speakers (4-170's and 1-340) and an SVS which I am also very happy with. To be honest if Ascend made a true floorstanding speaker, I probably would have purchased that rather than taking a chance on the Axioms.

But again, I couldn't be more pleased with the Axioms. What had me slightly concerned about purchasing them is the rap that you read that they are too bright. I am not sure exactly what that means but what I am hearing is much more detail which is pleasing to my ears. On a final note, the fit and finish on these speakers is excellent.

Re: Very Happy with M60's
#61495 09/19/04 01:19 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I'm very glad your pleased with the 60s. I'm pretty happy with mine, too. I don't think they are perfect (I doubt the "perfect" speaker exists), but they are far and away the best speakers I've ever owned.

I hope you'll stick around and continue to contribute to the forum. You'll find Curtis, from the Ascend forum, is a regular here.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#61496 09/19/04 07:09 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
yep...Bruce and I have communicated in the past.

Hey Bruce!! Good to see you are having better experiences now.

In reply to:

To be honest if Ascend made a true floorstanding speaker, I probably would have purchased that rather than taking a chance on the Axioms.

awwww....you should have checked out the CMT-340m's with the custom stands.

Nonetheless, you didn't go wrong with the M60's.

#61497 09/19/04 09:54 PM
BruceN Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
Hi Curtis:
I continue to enjoy reading and learning from your many audio forum posts. I was very close to purchasing the Ascend 340's with the custom stands as they look very nice on those stands and since I already know I like the Ascend sound. But then I thought that a true floorstanding speaker would provide better bass for the Sansui since I am not getting a subwoofer for it. Also what helped to convince me to try Axiom was reading this forum and AudioReview where I found that Axiom customers are similarly passionate (and reasonable) about their preferred brand as are Ascend customers. Right now I am liking both my pair of Axiom's M60's and my five Ascend's very much.
Bruce

#61498 09/20/04 02:52 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
That's great Bruce!

Agreed, I have also found Ascend and Axiom owners similar.

After what you went through, you deserve no hassle enjoyment.

#61499 09/23/04 06:48 PM
axiomite
axiomite
The Axiom and Ascend sound is very similar as well. If you like one, you'll likely enjoy the other.

As far as "brightness" goes, I had a guy over the other night to demo my system. He LOVED the M60's and brought up the "B" word. He said he was surprised that they were indeed NOT bright. He also noted that if there were going to be bright, they certainly would sound it in my room, as I have hardwood floors, and very little on the walls yet. (recenly moved)

He too was not going to be purchasing a subwoofer right away, so we did our listening sans my Hsu. I must admit I was pretty surprised myself at the amount of bass the M60's can produce. A good sub is still needed for movies, but for music (even some bass heavy stuff) the M60's were more than enough.

#61500 09/24/04 03:11 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Congrats on your recent purchase! I have had my Axiom's, including M60's for a week and can't get this smile off my face. The are truely wonderful speakers, and the best I've ever owned.

Randy

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

#61501 09/24/04 11:16 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
That's very cool - especially since I remember suggesting you go for the M60s (or did I say M80s?).

Seen any movies yet? Got the surrounds all mounted? What does the family/lady friend/significant other/friends think?

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044