Capn,

You are right about the source being a big part of the equation. However, I still believe the DVI connection with a fixed pixel display is the way to go. I have a Sammy DLP (native 720P) and the new upscaling Denon 1910. With the Denon set at 720p feeding the Sammy throught the DVI is incredible. Prior to the new Denon, I had a Denon 910. Very highly rated in the "Secrets" shootout. I ran this through component to the Sammy. Was a great picture, but not quite what it is now through DVI with the Denon 1910. I used my standard test DVD's (Gladiator, Open Range, LOTR) and each looked better with the new setup though DVI over the component. I wanted to keep my Sony HD box ran with DVI, so I bought a Geffen DVI switch. Works perfectly. I agree, the source can play a major part in the quality of the picture, some DVD's are poorly mastered. But my experience has been better with the upscaling DVD player over DVI.

I think I have a pretty good setup and if you are ever in the Ft. Wayne, Indiana area, look me up and I would be happy to show you my system.