Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
M80 over the rti10 ???
#61880 09/23/04 03:08 AM
A
OP Offline
A
I'm searching for a bi-amp. pair of towers.I live in canada and their is not mutch choice out there for good speakers i the 1500$ price range.I already own a rti10 pair and was wondering if somebody who had polk could explain or give me the plus that i would get by having a m80 pair... I'm not totally happy with the rti10 performance.I'm not shure, but i think i blew the tweeter on the left side.I'm using an avr 525 (hk) for the top part of the speaker, and an avr8000 for the low part... I think that would be suitable power for a m80 pair.I like the fact that their 4 ohm. I like to listen to my system at -5 db and sometimes, i find it not loud enough.Maybe the m80 would be the right medecine for my problem!!! :-)

Re: M80 over the rti10 ???
#61881 09/23/04 03:26 AM
axiomite
axiomite
astor,
There are many factors playing a part here so i will try to address a couple of them. Others will no doubt jump in.

First off, bi-amping, although an interesting idea, should really not produce a difference in sound, not unless you are using two different amps for each driver section, say a tube amp for one half and a solid state for the other. Some people who have REALLY turned up the volume may get some benefit from having a speaker bi-amped as it may provide more power per driver section thereby giving the speakers more headroom from the amps' capabilities.
Anyway, going beyond that, the speaker impedance is actually best if it is an easier unit to drive. For example, an 8 ohm speaker provides an easier load than the 4 ohm speaker. This equates to less stress on a typical receiver such as your HK 525 which usually equates to a consumer being able to buy much less expensive components for powering their gear. Those who seek out 4 ohm (or less) speakers tend to need more expensive amp sections if not separate components altogether. Nonetheless, since you have 2 units available for powering this may not be an issue. However typically when one biamps a speaker, they use the same amps for each channel as i mentioned above. In your case, you have 2 different units powering each speaker so i'm not surprised that sound may differ. At higher volumes the HK525 may be running short on power IN COMPARISON TO the AVR8000, hence providing a difference in SPL (sound pressure levels) from the individual driver sections. Keep in mind this is only one hypothesis of what could be happening and why your sound is unappealing.

As for the Axiom M80s vs Polk, you can do a search on these forums for "Polk" and see what comes up. It has been mentioned in the past and their may be some comparitive reviews you would be interested in reading. What i can say is that Axiom speakers are an amazing product for their price. Their clarity is stunning.

Ultimately if you are looking for a truly deafening speaker though (say beyond 105dB at 10 feet or more), you will need to seek out a speaker with a larger cabinet design such as those oversized monstrous, ear piercing units used at concerts or dance clubs. Alternatively you can find many 'consumer' but boutique name speakers in many places. One that comes to mind are the big Tannoy Kingdom or Prestige series. These are ridiculously expensive though and often are WAY beyond what most home consumers need just to produce sound volume.

Hope some of that helps.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Re: M80 over the rti10 ???
#61882 09/23/04 03:57 AM
A
OP Offline
A
thanks for your reply.It helps a bit more... i'll seach for the comparaison between the rti and the m80.I dont need oversized speakers since i,m looking for quality sound.The use of the two receivers are for more watts... My sound is pleasing, and i've been tweeking and tunong(with an spl meter) my system, and it sounds awesome!! i only think that for 2 receivers, it's very powerfull, buti would like a little bit more.The fact that they are 4 ohm loudspeakers doesn't cause any problem.i also think that you are right, it's harder on the amp section, but my receivers can handle it.But thanks again for the infos, i'll go look for the posts on rti10 on this forum!!

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044