Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
any audiophiles with opinions out there? ;)
#6216 10/08/02 07:22 PM
craigb Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
I’ve been researching new speakers ad nauseum lately, and I ran across Axiom through one of the audio e-zines. I have to say what I’ve read so far sounds pretty good. However, I’ve noticed that the majority of the reviews and other comments made by customers in the forum usually include some sort of phrase like, “I’m not an audiophile, but…”

I do appreciate the value of these kinds of “real world” reviews, however I wondered if there are any reviews or comments out there that *are* by self-professed audiophiles? Please, toss aside your sense of modesty and admit to what you are. I’d like to get some sort of handle on how the M50ti and M60ti might fare in areas like imaging, soundstaging, air, instrumental timbre, etc. Even better, is there someone out there in the central Indiana area that might own a pair that they wouldn’t mind letting me listen to?

FWIW, my electronics are a B&K ST-140 power amp (70 wpc or thereabouts) and an Adcom GFP-710 preamp; source components are a hot-rodded Sony SACD player and an old Denon turntable with Infinity Black Widow arm and Sumiko Blue Point Special cartridge. My listening room is about 14’ by 22’ with an 8’ ceiling, and a mix of hard and soft surfaces. Musical preferences (no HT use) are large and small scale classical, jazz, acoustic-based folk and bluegrass and occasional rock. Auditions so far have included B&W 602.5 and 603 (nicely detailed and flat in frequency response, but not very involving), Energy C-5 & C-7 (similar to the B&W but not quite as detailed), KEF Q-series (ditto), PSB Image 6t (very involving with nice 3-d soundstage, but physically a bit large) and my favorite so far, the Meadowlark Swift (extremely detailed, beautiful soundstage, just way musical – they really draw you in).

Given all of this, can anyone offer any insights on the M50ti and M60ti?

Craig Burgess
Indianapolis

Re: any audiophiles with opinions out there? ;)
#6217 10/09/02 12:43 PM
hobbyist
hobbyist
Craig I live 45 minutes south of Louisville, KY. I don't know how far you are willing to drive to audition speakers, but you are welcome to listen to my setup.

Denon 3802
Axiom M60ti
Axiom VP150
Axiom QS8 Surrounds
JBL N24 Rear Surrounds (soon to be replace with QS8)
SVS 25/31 PCI Sub
Toshiba DVD

#6218 10/09/02 01:46 PM
craigb Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Mr. Watts (wb?)

I appreciate your offer very much, and if you were closer I'd definitely take you up on it. Given the distance, the cost of gas (which seems to be on an upward spiral right now) and the economic value of time (let's face it, time is probably our most precious commodity of all, after oil), I think it would be about as cost-effective to order a pair, listen to them in my own system and in my own room, and ship them back if I don't like them. I know, I know, that's what the company is all about, and what I should do anyway...but if there were someone in the Indy area, well...that would be so much easier. And my entire life has been an exercise in seeking the path of least resistance. After all, I went into architecture because it was mostly inside work and not a lot of heavy lifting

Craig

#6219 10/10/02 04:09 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
Hey Craig,

Have you compared the Swift to Meadowlark's other offerings (the Kestrel and Shearwater, 'hot-rodded' or otherwise)? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts...

#6220 10/10/02 05:55 PM
craigb Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
You know, I had an opportunity to, but didn't. Shame on me. The shop in Ann Arbor where I heard the Swifts has a pair of demo hot-rod Kestrels that have some very tiny scratches near their bottoms, so they're selling them for what I'm sure is a great price, but even so, they're more than I can afford right now. If I was still shopping in that price bracket, I probably would have asked to compare them. Or at least I think I would have. My S.O. and I were on our way home to Indy after a weekend in Michigan, and between her waiting (admittedly patiently) while I listened to the Swifts, and the fact that our cat was waiting in the car and not happy about it, maybe I wouldn't have after all

The first Meadowlark dealer I went to (in Champaign) didn't have the Swift yet, and the only other model they had was the hot-rod Shearwater, which is *WAY* out of my price range, so I didn't even ask to hear them. We spent our time listening to some Dynaudio Audience 62s instead.

FWIW, the Champaign dealer said the Meadowlark factory told him the Kestrel (stock or hot-rodded) will no longer be a standard production model. They'll make a pair for you special order, but apparently they're expecting the Swift to cannibalize the Kestrel's market share. In fact, the Ann Arbor dealer told me he didn't know how Meadowlark was going to be able to continue selling the Kestrel with the Swift out there now. I'll tell you, they had everything I'm looking for in a speaker. The only reason I'm considering something else is if I can find something as, or nearly as good for around $700US, whether that's one of the Axiom towers or the Mission 782 (which I'm still trying to find someplace so I can hear them), I'd call it quits right now and just save my pennies for a few months.

Craig

PS If you (or anyone) is interested, you can find the hot-rod Kestrel demos on Audiogon.com, or PM me and I'll pass along names/numbers.

#6221 10/10/02 06:03 PM
craigb Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
oops...I guess I should have re-read that last sentence one more time.

What I meant to say was that if I can find something as good as the Swifts or close to it for around $700, I'll buy it. If I can't, *then* I'll save my money for the Swifts.

Craig

#6222 10/10/02 08:57 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
Actually, I'm the happy owner of a pair of Shearwater Hot Rods. Damn fine speaker, in my opinion. Bought them used off Audiogon a couple of months ago.

I'm a little hesitant to audition the Swifts because I'm sure it'll only pique my interest to the point where I'd have to check out their larger sibling, the Osprey.

My wallet is pleading for mercy...

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,478
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Kodiak), 1,080 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup