Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14
Re: Rocket 750 vs Axiom M60
#62195 10/02/04 06:26 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Chess who appointed you the censor who tells folks what is permissible to discuss and what is not? If you have an opinion worth posting, do it, but fight the impulse to stifle other people from expressing their's.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#62196 10/02/04 06:40 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hello again lomb. I agree it is a good idea to make sure all your drivers are 'firing.'

Do you have wood or tile flooring?

I find the Axiom and Michaura speakers have 'sparkling' highs, but what makes a speaker great is getting the mids right, and in this regard, Axioms come very close.

I don't mind comparing Axioms to much more expensive speakers, the fact that Axioms do so well in such comparisons is what got me to take a chance with Axioms in the first place.

I'd hope Axiom decides to upgrade their speakers' performance, expecially midrange performance. I'd hope that axiom would target some of the great speakres out there, those from JM Labs, Reference 3a de capo mm's ... might have to upgrade capacitors and resistors, point to point internal wiring of cross-over components.

Personally, I think the M3Ti is the speaker most suited to elevation to true giant killer status, in large part because there's nothing between the 6.5" driver and the amplifier. I bit more voicing, upgrading the tweeter's cap and resistor to improve integration between the tweeter and woofer, and smooth out the mids. Just a thought.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#62197 10/02/04 01:33 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Perhaps someone made him the forum moderator and failed to send out the memo. I'd be surprised if Chess didn't mean to say "Let it go, PLEASE."

Chess you contribute an awful lot of good things to this forum. But, you've you've raised petulant sarcasm, and condescending criticism to an art form.

Please don't lose sight of the fact that this forum is not only for the regulars who've seen the same questions and threads come up again and again. It's also for the new folks who are learning about audio/video in general, and Axiom speakers specifically. They are going to ask these same things on a regular basis. And, it's our responsibility to help them as best we can rather than insult them for asking. I'm referring not only to your post above in this thread, but to your post in the SVS or HSU? (I know, not again....) thread in the Home Theater section, which read:

I'm having deja vu here.
SVS vs. EP350?
Didn't i just post on this a couple of times this week?
Is this really another thread on it?
We are still in the months
(sic) of September no?
(Ironically, NO. We are actually in the month of October )

If you don't expect these same questions and threads to come up again, and can't restrain yourself from criticizing when they do, it might be better if you just skipped reading those threads. It certainly would be better if you refrained from posting your criticisms thereby spoiling it for everyone else.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#62198 10/02/04 02:13 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Shall we now begin to assassinate the character of everyone else on the forum here Ajax?
Perhaps we should start picking apart your flaws?

I value 2x6 opinion about as much as i value hairs on a rat's ass. He's a hypocrite and has been for a long time.
You talk about not stifling other's opinions and here are TWO people telling me how to moderate mine?

Pots and kettles and i'm seeing alot of black.

This is an AUDIO forum, not a political one. Take it somewhere else.
My complaint to Amie has been filed. Deal with it.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#62199 10/02/04 03:12 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In your anger, you failed to notice that I said "Please," and "it might be better." Nobody was "telling" you what to do. They were suggestions. To see that the as the same thing as your angry, sarcastic, condescending comments only proves the point.

Unfortunately you seem to see a lot of "black" here, and waste no time telling us all about it.

You accuse us (me) of trying to stifle your "opinions." Not at all. If I were able, I'd stifle the way you present them, particularly when they are personal attacks; witness your personal attack on 2x6.

I've posted my objections to politicizing the forum. It is my opinion that such threads leave residual bad feelings, between the participants, that spill over into other topics. And, I've ASKED that it be avoided (Haven't I BigWill?). That has not happened. But, in no way would I support it's censorship.

One of the wonderful things about this forum is the freedom provided by Amie, et. al. In a thread over at the Home Theater Spot, it's owner Paul Carleton explained his impression of how the Axiom forum works to a poster who was complaining about how terrible we all are here at this forum. He said:

"The Axiom Forum operates under different rules and very little if any moderation. Axiom simply feels that unless there is something really outrageous being said, they don't get involved. Since they are running a forum where they have a vested interest they don't want to be seen taking sides which could be interpreted as protecting their product or having motives which are suspect."

I thought he said it very well, and it is my hope Amie ignores your complaint.

Chess, you seem to be a VERY angry man. And anger has even less place here than a political thread, or questions that have been asked and answered many times.

Jack

#62200 10/02/04 03:13 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I understand this is an audio forum, chess. Politics and beer have been effectively quarantined to their respective threads. My comments about China were in specific reference to purchasing decisions of AUDIO products. I think the country of origin is as relevant here as it would be in a discussion of any product - cars, wine, chocolates.
How do you make that "I'm going to kick your ass face"?

#62201 10/02/04 03:43 PM
axiomite
axiomite
The "China mfg" comments started as being very specific to speaker mfg, which is probably OK for the thread. A few people (including me... guilty !!) made more general "China mfg" comments, which in hindsight was a mistake.

I'm not sure how things got personal so quickly... I haven't seen much of that on this board yet (which I thought was a great credit to all of you). Maybe we should dig a hole out back and bury this thread while we're all still friends.

Now everyone shake hands or I'll turn the Yorkies loose on you...

Last edited by bridgman; 10/02/04 03:45 PM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
#62202 10/02/04 04:14 PM
lomb7 Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
I agree. And here I thought that I was going to get my A** handed to me regarding the thread.

To move BACK to the TOPIC. I do have hard wood floors and I am still interested in someone telling me about tightening the straps, whatever the heck that means. If I have done something wrong regarding the Axiom set up I would really like to know because as a company I prefer Axiom over the other guy plus I want my M60's working to their best potential. Also, just checked and yes, all drivers are firing.

Anyway, China can go to hell, Canada can go to hell and the US can go to hell. Does that about cover us all? Can we move on?

#62203 10/02/04 04:29 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Lomb,

Apologies for my participation in the hijack.

If you'll look on the back of your speakers, you'll find two sets of posts on each speaker where you hook up your speaker wire You'll see a copper....uh, brass.....you'll see a metal "strap" running from one positive post to the other positive post, and another running from one negative post to the other negative post. Just be sure that the two "straps" are positioned properly, and all 4 posts are tightened to hold those straps FIRMLY. If proper contact is not made, it's possible one or more of the drivers in the speaker will be non-functioning. If you run your speakers at a reasonable volume, and put your ear up close to each driver in each speaker, and find that all are working properly, the "straps" are probably already correctly positioned and tightened.

Jack

#62204 10/02/04 05:12 PM
axiomite
axiomite
>>I agree. And here I thought that I was going to get my A** handed to me regarding the thread.

Fair, balanced reviews are always welcome even if the results are not what we expected. We're all just a bit surprised by the "bass" comments and aren't sure what to make of them. I think everyone acknowledges that it's certainly possible for a competing speaker to go *deeper* than the M60s but the M60s are pretty flat down to where they do roll off so normally you don't hear other good speakers being described as making *more* bass than M60s.

Try talking about politics in the HT forum and you'll REALLY get your A** whupped

Last edited by bridgman; 10/02/04 05:21 PM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616