Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
New Axiom Sub!
#62337 09/27/04 05:07 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Saw the newsletter and the new sub. Very nice! Everytime I try to quell my upgrade-itis, I keep seeing more stuff...

Re: New Axiom Sub!
#62338 09/27/04 05:22 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I know exactly what you mean. I have to refrain myself when thumbing through any HT publication. It's like sickness

M80's VP150 QS8's Earthquake SuperNova MKV-15
Integra DTR-7.4 Outlaw 755 Outlaw M200's Outlaw ICBM
#62339 09/27/04 06:45 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
13Hz!?!

That is "bowel shaking" bass.

How big are these puppies in relation to an M60? Are they taller (obviously somewhat wider)?

And the new "little" guy - its response is surprisingly low for a "cube" model subwoofer isn't it?

Anyway - I love the clean look of the 600. In a horizontal position, it could pass as a mutant center channel (as pictured in the website promo)...

This all begs two questions in my mind...

(1) Exactly how much and how loud does our bass need to be? I ask only because my STF-2 gets too loud and too aggressive at fairly low volumes, making my movie watching unpleasant at times. I have to keep it dialed down a bit to make sure that its calibrated to my desired listening level. I just can't imagine needing more (I can imagine wanting more on the other hand).

(2) Is this what Axiom has been up to for the last year plus? Is this why we haven't seen anything coming out to complement other lines (like in-wall or sattelite/sub systems)? It seems to me like Axiom has finally dug its way out of the hole and will once again be a contender in the quality sub group - of course, you'll still be paying a fairly hefty price for both new models. Their use of the DSP circuitry to ensure that the sub works optimally makes me think that they might be able to do something on the otehr end of teh spectrum using this technology (to compete for our wives' favor and produce a "nearly invisible" home theater) to blow BLOSE out of the water!

Exciting stuff.

#62340 09/27/04 06:57 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

(1) Exactly how much and how loud does our bass need to be?

Geez, Adrien... where have you been the last 15 years? Bass needs to be at least 40x as powerful as mids and highs. The kids like to have their McDonalds liquified in their colons and their junk jiggled. Bass extension is the new high-water mark for KeWl.

In reply to:

(2) (like in-wall or sattelite/sub systems)

I seem to remember Alan covering the in-wall thing earlier in a thread that went off from outdoor speakers to in-wall. I'd hate to misquote him (after he was just complaining about being misquoted)... but I believe he said they found enclosures that fit into 2x4 stud cavities too limiting for fidelity?!?

As for sub/satellite systems... don't make me get a rolled up newspaper! *laughs*

Bren R.

#62341 09/27/04 07:07 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I listened to a Dead Can Dance disc at the local Magnolia (hi-fi shop), and they had a VERY large and pricey Rel subwoofer in the mix. Holy shnikes! A big bad sub pressurizes a room. It's really amazing. Obviously you don't need it to hear a bass guitar. It's for all the sub-level background noise. From my experience, it really can transform a listening experience.

I just need to figure out how 1) I can afford an EP600, and 2) how do I convince Roger we need one.

#62342 09/27/04 07:28 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I hesitate to post this, but there is a thread about the new subs going unraveling over at the AVS forum. I'm amazed at the guy who, having never heard the 600, is convinced that either an SVS PB2 Ultra or 3 HSU VTF-3s (for the same price) will "clobber" it.

Now, I'm ASKING. PLEASE don't go over there and start shooting flames. What will benefit Axiom the most is the thread staying up, and the subs being discussed rationally, and calmly. If you feel your hackles going up, that's the time to NOT post.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#62343 09/27/04 07:29 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I hear you. Start saving now, that's what I'm starting to do. It makes it less painful in the long run.
Convincing Roger may be more difficult, I don't know. This is where I would have an honest talk and explain how much you really really need and want it. I would try to have some imaginative and witty answers prepared for the questions that will come up.

Good Luck!

Tom

#62344 09/27/04 07:39 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Yes, they did slam Axiom. But these are just regular non-technical posters that are speculating or assuming. We all know what it means to “assume” .Without hearing one of these subs, it would be wise for them to shut their mouths and go on with their lives.

End Rant

Tom

#62345 09/27/04 07:46 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Jack,
I saw that thread and was tempted to post only because he starts with

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the record... Axiom speakers sound awful

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Odd he thinks that way for 2 reasons. Has he ever heard Axioms full line? I also find it odd based on the fact that this is his system:

Mains: Monitor Audio GR-60s
Rears: Monitor Audio GR-10s
Center: Monitor Audio Gold Center
Subwoofer: Velodyne DD-18
DVD Player: Pioneer Elite 59Ai
Receiver: Pioneer Elite 59TXi
Conditioner: PS Audio P-1000
TV: Sony XBR-950 LCD Projection
Cables: Nordost Flatline

I can rip apart a few things in his system but I won't. What got me was the Monitor's.......yes even the Gold's (Awesome speaker by the way!) don't sound that different then the Axioms. I'm not saying there the same at all and yes I would take the Golds over the Axioms to, but I don't think there is enough of a difference to rule one as junk and the other not. Hell I run MA's to now and would never say the Axioms sound awful.

#62346 09/27/04 08:11 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Yeah, when I saw "For the record... Axiom speakers sound awful," I was a little irritated, but at least he finished that sentence with "IMHO," which diffused my ire (or should that be de-fused). He wouldn't have rubbed me the wrong way if he'd just said "I don't like the Axiom sound."

It was nice that two other guys, including an AVS moderator, stepped in and said, "For the Record I love the way the Axioms Sound."

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,464
Members15,617
Most Online2,082