Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: harsh edgy sounding speakers?
#6246 10/24/02 01:27 AM
buff
OP Offline
buff
I"m not trying to start anything! honest I"m not!I absolutly LOVE my Axiom speakers!but just maybe you need higher end equipment to acheive better sound.I think in the old days there was less gadgets and better sound and now it's the other way around,more gadgets and less sound for the money.plus since Axiom speakers are so detailed maybe they not only unmask harsh recordings but also harsh sounding equipment.but I did notice an increase in bass with the amp upgrade.sorry John but you can't deny me my own personal observations.by the way,do you work for Axiom?

#6247 10/24/02 01:59 AM
veteran
veteran
Hi Murphyman,

I hear you, and you are correct that I cannot deny you’re your own personal observations. It’s not the observations that I question, it’s the thoughts behind the observations and the reasoning behind them that is flawed. I am just trying to get you to understand the whole watts vs. current thing so that maybe you will see how it really works. Hence the analogy in my last post of HP vs. Torque before your reply, I don’t mean to be sound hostile towards you or anything of the sort. It just seems to me that maybe your were not putting it together.

Enough said, if you are happy with your axioms now then that is what counts so I hope that you are finally able to enjoy them as you were expecting to.

Regards
John.

#6248 10/24/02 03:01 AM
buff
OP Offline
buff
nice post but I got you're point awhile ago......but what company gives out current specs? I think all in all if the receiver company says 6 ohm that means don't go lower than 6 ohm because that receiver dose not have the current in the power supply to be stable.ofcourse they don't want to admit it.I mailed Onkyo on this subject awhile ago and they said although our receivers are tested under a 6 ohm load 4 ohm speakers should be fine.basicly the same response Axiom basicly said so it all falls on a "fickel" protective mode circuit or a system that was designed specificly for a given load.just like engines you need to match the power suply to the speakers or load.lets say I build a 340 to pull 11's in a duster that weighs 2200 pounds well you can't put that system in a 3500 pound cuda and expect it to even come close.you would need a big block to meet or exceed that but you also have a nicer car.

#6249 10/24/02 03:38 AM
veteran
veteran
Ah, and there in lies the problem, as you say they do not give out the current ratings, the specs Onyo give on that amp are miss leading for anyone that looks at them, and now you know why. You would not have bought that receiver if they did. There is a reason that shinny new Denon 5803 cost 4 times the price of the Onkyo. Now by adding your big block amp you get to the level where you can drive the speakers without running out of head room like your Onkyo did. So everything is better just like it would be adding the big block to the Cuda (as long as the wife doesn’t know the cost of it) Glad to see now that we are on the same wave length. And by the way I am glad to see you’re also an automotive enthusiast too!

Cheers
John.

#6250 10/24/02 09:30 AM
P
old hand
old hand
P
first a cheby looses to a diesel- now mopars this web sight gets better all the time.murphyman when i finish my 62 polara can we race( 484 stroker with 1970 nascar prototype heads)

#6251 10/24/02 11:59 AM
buff
OP Offline
buff
484? that sounds like an offset ground 440 crank in a 400 block stroker set up.I just so happen to have a '72 400 block in the works myself.working on a 474 setup with a 4-speed and 3.91 rear in a 70 'cuda.problem is the car gets worked on more than driven.

#6252 10/24/02 08:18 PM
P
old hand
old hand
P
mine has been under restoration for 6 years(originaly bought it in 82)-try and find nice sheet metal for a new york state 62 dodge b body, aint easy.
i know one of the best mopar guys around, he did the prototype head work for them in the late60's early 70's, he let me grab some stuff from his basement for my motor- the problem with the heads are that i must get a sheet metal intake made- intake runners the size of a bb cheby.i want to put a pair of m80's in the back seat( had to keep this a axiom related thread-lol)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters