Denon DRA-685 vs. Harmon Kardon HK 3480
#62659 09/29/04 02:24 PM
D
dmw Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
D
These seem to be the main competitors in the field for high current receivers to drive my new M80's. Any opinions?
I'd be interested on the build quality too, such as cpacitor size, transformer type, etc.
My vintage Technics integrated amp drives the Axioms, but Im persuaded that something more muscular might deliver more impact.
I switched off the "8 0hm/4 ohm" switch on the back of the Technics amp the other day to see if it delivered any more bass authority. After a few minutes, I touched the top of the amp and almost burned myself!
Needless to say, I switched it back to 4 ohms.

Re: Denon DRA-685 vs. Harmon Kardon HK 3480
#62660 09/29/04 03:41 PM
local
local
Couple months ago I'd also looked at the Onkyo 8511, HK 3480, and the Denon 685. The Onkyo 8511 runs much hotter than the HK and Denon, I can not imagine how hot would it get if I were to run it at 4ohm so I didn't feel comfortable getting this unit and scratch it off of my list. The Denon didn't sound too natural to me and it was a bit on the bright side, cosmetically it feels cheaper than both Onkyo and HK, the Denon didn't play as loud and it was clipping at about 80% to max while the HK and Onkyo still doing comfortably at the same level, though the HK 3480 has lots of headroom left, provide the cleanest and most natural sound, and only slightly warm to touch after hours of cranking. Personally I also prefer the HK appearance eventhough it was not my purchase factor, so it was a no-brainer to me and I chosed HK 3480.
For your M80, some people tend to think it's a little bit brighter than the M60, M22tii and M2i, plus you need a receiver capable of 4ohm to run them, so of the two you'd mentioned the HK 3480 will smoke the Denon all day long, I do not think the Denon is capable of running at 4ohm, even if it does...I bet it's going to run so hot you can BBQ with it.
I'm sure there's other option out there, including the NAD 320 and some Rotel that you can consider, though they cost twice as much and only put out about half of the power of 3480. Sure, you can look at used stuff, but it's a 50/50 chance that you might get screwed over, personally I don't buy used stuff and I hate auction, unless I know the seller personally otherwise I prefer to get my stuff brand new. The HK 3480 only going for $299.00 with Free Shipping from J&R, so I don't think you can't get any better deal than that. As far as I'm concern The HK3480 is the one and only stereo receiver that have the Sub pre-out too!!
Another option to consider is to use your current Technics as a preamp, and get two Outlaw M 200 monoblocks, these bad boys are putting out 300 watts @ 4 ohms without breaking a sweat and it will drive your M80 to reference level. I think they're running for about $500 for a pair, I'll definitely go this route when I get a pair of M60 in the near future.

#62661 09/29/04 06:00 PM
axiomite
axiomite
You should also consider a separate stereo amp for the M80s.
Many used and quality items can be found on Audiogon.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#62662 09/29/04 06:31 PM
local
local
yup, as Chesseroo said, also consider stereo amps, I don't know what your budget is, but if you're willing to spend up to $1100 and only need Stereo, then take a good look at the Odyssey Stratos, I had the silver faceplate and didn't get the caps upgrade, I was using this amp along with the Parasound 850 preamp to run a pair of Acoustic Research AR3 up front, this puppy is elegant and sound very natural, it has a little better soundstage and imaging, mid to low range have more oomph as well. The only "downside" is it took forever to break-in, I'd played only 4 to 5hr a day and the amp didn't really open up till about 4 to 5 months later.

#62663 09/29/04 06:43 PM
axiomite
axiomite
dema,
You included my name in a post that mentions break-in.
I'm hurt, i'm really hurt.

#62664 09/29/04 07:17 PM
local
local
Weelp, it could of been my ears that were being break-in, but either way, it was still an improvement nonetheless, atleast in psychologically perspective. Isn't that what music is about? sound wave and signal stimulation!!
But seriously though, all processors(cpu) that I'd owned and worked on in the past 15 years, required a time frame to burn-in (or break-in if you will), and this 24hr burn-in process is part of the QC and requirement,it always result in further system stability before all the units were being shipped out to the contractor or government, there's no exception in this regard. After the burn-in period, cpu often have the capability to be clock higher(sometime much higher) than the designated speed. Now back to the audio world, the Odyssey Statos designer documented clearly on the manual regarding the couple steps of the break-in period as well, who do you think know better than the electronic designer/engineer of the amp himself?

#62665 09/29/04 07:54 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

but either way, it was still an improvement nonetheless, atleast in psychologically perspective. Isn't that what music is about? sound wave and signal stimulation!!

You get no argument here.

But here you will,
CPUs and amps do not perform the same function and ergo cannot be equated to break-in with a similar conclusion. CPUs are most likely tested to ensure they are not duds for which a 24h period seems to suffice or is perhaps an industry standard.
With the cpu analogy, it only takes 24h for them to burn in, and this is mostly heat related issues i would imagine. How is it that amps take months?

So many simple questions with so many complicated attempts at answers without a definitive answer.
You have to enjoy the mass confusion of it all.
In reply to:

who do you think know better than the electronic designer/engineer of the amp himself?

Simple. Other professionals in the field who are not trying to sell a product with age old myths that the public seems to enjoy believing.
Marketing is everything, more so in audio than anything else i've come across to date.

Last edited by chesseroo; 09/29/04 07:56 PM.

#62666 09/29/04 08:24 PM
old hand
old hand
dmw,

Harmon Kardon match real well with Axiom. Denon on the other hand, can be a little bright. I know because I have various HK's and Denon's receivers.

-Jerry

#62667 09/29/04 09:00 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
There are dozens of happy Denon/Axiom owners, and lots of people who think that there is no perceptible difference between comparably-rated SS receivers.

You probably can't go wrong either way.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#62668 09/29/04 11:04 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
In reply to:

The Denon didn't sound too natual to me and it was a bit on the bright side

In reply to:

The only "downside" is it took forever to break-in, I'd played only 4 to 5hr a day and the amp didn't really open up till about 4 to 5 months later

It has been said that one cannot hear a difference in cd players but yet one can hear a differene in ss amps how is this?

I also thought break in for ss amps was another one of those audio myths and that is not to be believed by the consumer.

I am not saying you did not hear a difference you very well might have.Do then believe a person might be able to hear a differance in cd players as well.Seems to me a person either believes there could be a difference in the sound of all equipment or there is no sound difference in them at all.We shouldn't pick the myths we believe in and then dismiss it when someone else says they hear a difference in another piece in the audio chain.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters